Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my June Motor Trend in the mail today, and there is a car comparo with the SRT-4, MazdaSpeed Protege, and the SVT Focus.

Well, as expected, the SRT-4 won farily easily, but if that MazdaSpeed would have had about 25 more ponies, it would be a different story. But what I found interesting was their performance numbers for the SRT-4:

0-60: 5.4
1/4 mile: 13.9 @ 101.9

Those are the fastest test numbers I've ever seen from a car mag.

Here's the last paragraph from the article:

"It boils down to this: The world-class at-the-limit handling of the MazdaSpeed Protege isn't something you're likely to use often in everyday traffic, while the unexpectedly delicious power of the Dodge SRT-4 is a force you'll have a hard time resisting time and again. Game, point, match, Dodge - at least for now."

- DB

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
holy jesus did they say what track they ran a 13.9 at 101.9mph on? what where the ETs and Trap for the loosers?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hey when i was talking to the manager of the dodge dealership i am dealing with he said 5.9 is like the babying it number...He said at the training people were running 5.6's all day long he ran a 5.71 i think he said but he said the 5.9 number is something anyone can get so i believe it totally with experienced drivers from C and D shouldn't be a problem...And didnt the mopar now people run 13.9 already also....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I can't find any mention of the track they used. Here are the numbers for the SVT Focus and MazdaSpeed Protege.

0-60
Focus: 7.2
Mazda: 6.8

1/4 mile
Focus: 15.4 @ 90.2
Mazda: 15.1 @ 92.5

Here are the High's and Low's:

SVT Focus
What's Hot
Top-notch vehicle dynamics, well-finished interior, understated look.

What's Not
Lack of low-end torque, no engine braking, perhaps too understated

Don't Miss
Slick-shifting Getrag

Bottom Line
Best Focus we can get, but can it stand up to new competition?

MazdaSpeed Protgege
What's Hot
Great sport-compact look, superb ride and handling, turbo makes good power

What's Not
Tinny sounding inside, showy stereo lacks functionality, small intercooler heats quickly

Don't Miss
Kenwood audio system does tricks

Bottom Line
Sport-compact champ that puts MazdaSpeed on the map

Dodge SRT-4
What's Hot
Explosive power, son-of-viper nose, racing-style seats

What's Not
Jouncy ride, rental-car interior, high rear roll center

Don't Miss
Autometer boost gauge, exhaust note

Bottom Line
Four-door Viper gets 20+ mpg

- DB

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
DB said:
Just got my June Motor Trend in the mail today, and there is a car comparo with the SRT-4, MazdaSpeed Protege, and the SVT Focus.

Well, as expected, the SRT-4 won farily easily, but if that MazdaSpeed would have had about 25 more ponies, it would be a different story. But what I found interesting was their performance numbers for the SRT-4:

"It boils down to this: The world-class at-the-limit handling of the MazdaSpeed Protege isn't something you're likely to use often in everyday traffic, while the unexpectedly delicious power of the Dodge SRT-4 is a force you'll have a hard time resisting time and again. Game, point, match, Dodge - at least for now."

- DB
(Fat fingers and small keys did this...LOL)

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
DB said:

- DB
Love that last quote...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
hemidakota said:
DB said:

love the quote after that.

- DB
Love that last quote...think about auto test review editor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.