Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got my 05 Srt-4 about 2 weeks ago with 7k miles on it. I immediately noticed the bad wheel hop on it so naturally i order the Prothane Motor Mount Inserts, race style. Now i installed the mounts, torqued the mount bolts (all of them) and used lock tight on all of them. But a day or so later, while starting from a stop, and some times when shifting into second, I can hear a clunk in the engine compartment, and i know its the motor mounts. Any one else having this kind of a noise after installing them? Im still fresh in the whole modding scene. Its probably normal considering that all the give is taken out of the mounts. But i just figured i'd ask.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I had that same noice with mine after a few hard lauches. I would say check for a busted bolt on your motor mounts. That was my problem.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I just installed mine this past weekend. I feel so much now. Not unbearable but alot more vibration. Wonderin if thats totally normal? And you hear everthing louder, the road, the exhaust, everything. But it does feel nice and tight. So those of you out there that have broke a bolt what noises or syptoms do you encounter? Just want to make sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Make sure the washer is not hitting the mount housing. The washer sits real close to my housing, does not hit, but other cars may be different. I put the street inserts in a few weeks back and car was loud and harsh at first but they get seated in there afer a while and its not as bad now plus you get used to it. So if you just put in the inserts ride around for a few weeks. At first I was ready to take mine out but now I am going to leave them in.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Oh alight cool. Yeah was almost gone take them out too or was thinkin something was wrong. LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't had any problems so far...currently i have one motor mount insert in on the top part of the engine and i noticed a big difference in my car..so i can't to install the bottom one..i really think this is alot of bang for the buck

·
Banned
403 Posts
APOCALYPSESRT said:
any 1 with 1/4 times with motor mounts? what is th 60? and whats a average drop from no mm inserts to with???????? thanks.
I dont think having them installed makes a huge difference, maybe .1 or something. But, instead of wheel hop all your gonna get is wheel spin. Your still gonna have to "pedal" the throttle in high RPM's in 1st.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
not only that, but it is wheel hop that destroys axles so if you turn it into spin they will last alot longer

·
Premium Member, 2011 Calendar Car
3,415 Posts
Wheel hop also caused my exhaust to leak rite near the down pipe. My exhaust is stock too.

·
SRTforums Member
1,048 Posts
I just had my race mm inserts installed 2 weeks ago and I noticed the exhaust a little more. But I didn't notice any clunking of any kind on my car. The car feels like it really pulls harder now with them in from 2nd to 3rd shifts but not so much from 1st to 2nd since there's crazy wheel spin off the line. But I'm satisfied with the race mm inserts and can't wait to try them out this summer at the track against my buddy's '86 GN

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured out what it was today. We had some down time in the shop so i pulled my car in and took a look under the hood. Turns out that when i let my brother took it down the track once (he begged me) He wheel hopped it all the way into second gear. This caused the upper dog bone bolts to back out and actually bend. The 2 bolts on the mounting bracket on the motor are cork screwed, and the through bolt on the mount it self is cork screwed also. The rear back bolt was loose so i sinched it down with my impact gun. tightened all bolts and the noise is gone. I have new bolts on ordered for it they'll be in tomorrow for me to install. So if any of you are experiencing that problem. Thats the cause. Wierd thing is, is i even lock tighted the bastards. Im never letting my brother drive my car again.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
the "banging" noise i have is when i am at full boost in 2nd and drop right out, i think mine is my bottom motor mount, i need to get the insert for it, or the dog bones....

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check all of you motor mount bolts. Mine was doing that as well. Make sure they are good and tight. And i mean tight. Those bolts, when not lock tighted, have a high tendency to back out. from what it sounds like. It sounds like the upper motor mount is loose where it tightens into the strut tower. Just since it down real good and you should be ok.

If it is already doing that without the inserts in. The inserts may make it worse. So try to elimintate it before putting the inserts in.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
thanks man, will check that bolt, looks like it shifted a bit, so i will take it out and put it back in, just need to gte some lock-tight...thanks agian!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts