Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk about mods and I have seen very litte information about the actual performance increase. Some of us can't afford to spend thousands of dollars for a marginal performance increase. That said, I'm sure there are people other than myself whe would like to know exactly what one gains with certain mods. Maybe I've missed something, but what is the benefit/performance increase of these things on the SRT-4:
K&N filter - I've read there's not much gain to be had with the whole intake, what's the increase in HP/mileage with just the filter?
Hood Mod - So much talk about the hood mod, and I haven't seen once what it actually does (as in HP+?)
Plug wires - like Moroso, much less resistance; more HP?
Exhaust - What is there to be improved upon besides the slight increase if you don't split the gasses and a high-flow cat?
Ignition - ?
What about Turbonator, Spiralmax, "Fuel Saving Tornado", etc.? Anyone ever used these, or know anyone that has? Seems like it could work.
Would some that have done these mods (or happens to know) please shed some light?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hood mod *might* increase horsepower at high speeds, but that's tough to test on a dyno. Mostly, it decreases inlet depression, and gives your turbo more air to suck in. I'm waiting to see an actual increase in HP with a boost controller. Something tells me the ECU is limiting the power, no matter what the boost is.
K&N won't hurt, and probably will increase HP a little.
IC Sprayer should help greatly in hot weather.
Turbonater? You already have a turbo. No point here.
Exhaust will increase power. EDepot has already dyno'd his 3", and he helped torque a lot.

·
Registered
582 Posts
And along with the HP/TRQ you will gain from intake and exhaust you also get reduced turbo lag. Hood mood would be the cheapest unless you want to count acr2nv's dollar mood. then price vs hp is unbeatable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey, thats not ACR's dollar mod, its exhaust's dollar mod, that he told me about, that i did, that i told ACR about that he did to his friends car. :D it took me over 45 min to talk him into it.....the big pussy was afraid to blow an engine on a car that isn't even his...lol :D just messin w/ya ACR.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mobil One or another good Synthetic oil and K&N or other quality gauze/oil air filter. You will get a few HP from each and be kind to your engine at the same time.

Replace your stock muffler bearings with Teflon coated ones. Guaranteed to match the HP of the Turbonator and the others or double your money back. Also makes a great whistle sound at high RPMs.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
SLVRBulletWRX said:
Please do none of the above, especially the spiralmax Geez. Downpipe is the first mod on any turbo car for power
Down pipe? Down Pipe? Who makes it? I forget :( Can you please help me out since you know more more than I about the SRT-4????

Oh you don't have an SRT and your pretty new to this forum, there is no where near the amount of boltons for the SRT yet as there is for the WRX. Most of the stuff is trial and error. FYI :D

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
ebbtide said:
Hood mod *might* increase horsepower at high speeds, but that's tough to test on a dyno. Mostly, it decreases inlet depression, and gives your turbo more air to suck in. I'm waiting to see an actual increase in HP with a boost controller. Something tells me the ECU is limiting the power, no matter what the boost is.
Yeah, what he said. I am waiting for the DCX stage upgrades, the fact that there is a different ECU for each one suggests something, does it not? A simple mod that I am planning is to go to an exhaust shop and get rid of that tangled mess at the end of the car and rplace it with a single outlet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The few mods that are talked about on the forum are in the protype stage like E D's pipes. WRX's & Evos have been sold in Asia and Europe for years. There are a shit load of parts to choose from and loads of experiece by tuners as to what works and what doesn't. Some of the best parts come from our brothers down under.

We have Zippo, nill, zilch, nadda, nothing specifically designed for the turbo 2.4. OK we have adjustable cam sprockets, aluminum flywheels from previous versions of te motor that will work. Yes we can get BOVs and BCs just like everyone else. Our first hope for integrated tuner parts is mother Mopar, but it is encouraging that four companies that I know of have checked into this site and say they will develop go-fast parts for our cars. Go guys! The competiton will be good for DCX. Will keep them honest.

If I had $10 K to put into my car and the hard parts were available, I would still start with synth oil and air filter. As far as the parts "as seen on TV," caviat emptor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
" Replace your stock muffler bearings with Teflon coated ones. Guaranteed to match the HP of the Turbonator and the others or double your money back. Also makes a great whistle sound at high RPMs"...¿Como? As in, I don't follow.

And thanks to those that did offer helpful insight.

Found a kick ass place to answer my questions...

http://musclecars.blueygrey.com/doug/underthehood/hood.shtml

Stuff on sythetic oils, filters, all that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Royal Purple

And what about Royal Purple products? Anyone used them? Say what you want, but dynos don't lie. Look at their website (www.royalpurple.com). There are lots of independent tests including one that aired on HPTV.

·
Registered
113 Posts
daytonagts said:
SLVRBulletWRX said:
Please do none of the above, especially the spiralmax Geez. Downpipe is the first mod on any turbo car for power
Down pipe? Down Pipe? Who makes it? I forget :( Can you please help me out since you know more more than I about the SRT-4????

Oh you don't have an SRT and your pretty new to this forum, there is no where near the amount of boltons for the SRT yet as there is for the WRX. Most of the stuff is trial and error. FYI :D

http://www.atpturbo.com/turbopiping/monstermate/DodgeNeonSRT4.asp

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks like ATP is going to build some cool stuff for the SRT-4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
PB Pod
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing