Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to Bob at Allen Samuels Dodge in Ft Worth. His sales manager had just returned from the region's SRT-4 introduction at the Texas motor speedway. Bob said they were told that the Stage 3 turbo kit would not be street legal due to the massive amount of horsepower..

Has anyone else heard this or heard otherwise?

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
PsychoMedic said:
I just talked to Bob at Allen Samuels Dodge in Ft Worth. His sales manager had just returned from the region's SRT-4 introduction at the Texas motor speedway. Bob said they were told that the Stage 3 turbo kit would not be street legal due to the massive amount of horsepower..

Has anyone else heard this or heard otherwise?
I was told I could purchase it but must retain a bigger CAT via the dealership. Yea right....I can get those for 145.00 (4 inch version).

The reasoning behind this is not the HP but the removal of the CAT unit for a staight pipe.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's because the cat is bypassed. This is old news. :wink:

BTW -- The dealer that I got my car from also mentioned something about the legality of the HP, but that's BS.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahhhh well thats good to hear. Of course we all know dealers talk outta their butt alot of the time.

Hey does anyone have an estimated price on the Stage 3?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Eeeeheheheh thats why i love livin in florida. We have no emissions!!! so i can run a straight pipe...hell i could just remove the exhaust straight from the header.

·
Registered
726 Posts
BMXfreak said:
Eeeeheheheh thats why i love livin in florida. We have no emissions!!! so i can run a straight pipe...hell i could just remove the exhaust straight from the header.
Same here in PA...the state would never know if I had a cat or not.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
stage 3 should be cheeper than the stage 2, seeing as the stage two comes with a turbo. but who knows, it would be a bunch of smeg if stage 3 was more than stage two.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what do you think then....$500, 1,000, 2000, 3,000????

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
whats cool is here in FL= no emissions :roll: :wink: :twisted: 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i was under the impression from web sites ive seen that stage 3 is the same as stage 2 only with 15% better flow injectors vs stage 2's 10% better, and a slightly better tuned computer??

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think they mean that going from stage I to II would be more expensive than from II to III.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
PsychoMedic said:
Bob said they were told that the Stage 3 turbo kit would not be street legal due to the massive amount of horsepower..
oh shit, better tell the viper guys that their cars arent street legal!!

im sorry, but i think the final concensus is that dealers know NOTHING.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Something I've been wondering about the S3 kit, why won't it be legal? Yeah, we know there will be no cat, but as previously mentioned, large, high flow cats are readily available. The cat shouldn't really be a big deal.

I'm hoping that the S3 for the SRT won't be like the "super-60" kit was of several years ago. The super-60 kit was not street legal either and it did not use any O2 feedback. I believe the lack of O2 feedback was the main reason why it was an "off road use only" kit. Maybe the Mopar engineers decided to make the S3 kit for the SRT using a non-O2 feedback computer, and if there's no O2 there's no need for the cat.

I really hope that this is not the case but it's a possibility.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The stage three removes the cat which makes it illegal for street use.
You cannot modify/remove/replace a catalytic convertor unless is damaged or no longer functioning correctly. Simple as that.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
and if you replace a malfunctioning one you have to replace it with one that works.

·
Registered
449 Posts
abaddsm said:
You cannot modify/remove/replace a catalytic convertor unless is damaged or no longer functioning correctly. Simple as that.
That depends on your local laws. In Ca where the emissions nazis run wild and free nothing but OEM will do, but most other places that do emissions tests just require a cat that will clean the exhaust enough to pass the sniffer.

Just passed emissions in a '97 Neon with a long tube header, a relocated aftermarket cat, and no EGR.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kyle said:
abaddsm said:
That depends on your local laws. In Ca where the emissions nazis run wild and free nothing but OEM will do, but most other places that do emissions tests just require a cat that will clean the exhaust enough to pass the sniffer.

Just passed emissions in a '97 Neon with a long tube header, a relocated aftermarket cat, and no EGR.
Under Federal Clean Air Act which aplies to all modern cars equipped with a catalytic convertor, you cannot replace the factory convertor with an aftermarket one if the factory one is still operational. If the convertor is damaged or defective you may replace it with an aftermarket cat con if the car is more than 5 years old or has more than 50K miles.
If it has less than 50k miles or 5 years old it must be replaced by an OEM cat con as it will still be under warrenty.
I am not saying you can't get an inspection approval after installing long tubes but it is illegal to remove a working convertor anywhere in the country.
Hell when I lived in NY I had an inspection station install a straight pipe on my RX7 that removed by factory cat and then they gave me an emissions sticker right afterwards. :wink:

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
That is correct but they just don't check it. I had one of those TEST ONLY and pretty much check under the hood for any mods and required CARB decals.

Petty but I found out the CAT wasn't working and had to replace it.

I would still opt out the OEM CAT unless MOPAR has a part number at a reasonable price (3-inch version).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts