Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
513 Posts
Re: stage one not work for me

inzin said:
Why did Dodge put that side nut/bolt for the bracket, I was tempted to cut it off.
:eek:
That side bolt for the bracket was a little tricky at first to work with, but I came up with an easy way of sliding the bracket/ECU into place. Really can't explain how, more of an angle trick, but don't sweat it, when you swap your ECU out 4-5 times in one night, you'll become a pro at it also, lol.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Re: Re: stage one not work for me

MoparSponsoRed said:
That side bolt for the bracket was a little tricky at first to work with, but I came up with an easy way of sliding the bracket/ECU into place. Really can't explain how, more of an angle trick, but don't sweat it, when you swap your ECU out 4-5 times in one night, you'll become a pro at it also, lol.
yea, it's one of those tricks u can't explain u just do it:D

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
charging

Yes, he means charging him $80. They charged my $45, but only because I actually put the computer in myself in their parking lot.
So if UniqTwin or BJ is reading this, can we get some kind of
refund??? :eek:

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
513 Posts
Re: charging

Pit Viper said:
Yes, he means charging him $80. They charged my $45, but only because I actually put the computer in myself in their parking lot.
So if UniqTwin or BJ is reading this, can we get some kind of
refund??? :eek:
I don't see how you can ask for a refund. The solution they recommended was having the ECU overnighted back to them, they would reflash and send back to you, yet I see people taking it to the dealership to be fixed. You all know the ECU is not a warranteed item at a dealership, so by taking the solution into your own hands, I don't think they should be giving you a refund. Just my 2 cents.

Justin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Doesn't sound like the Stage-I is worth the trouble. The power gains seem to be marginal. Reading the other Stage-1 threads, they seem to indicate boost is still limited with Stage 1 because of the weak the wastegate spring which is there to limit boost because we have cast pistons and it would be risky to increase boost more than 18psi without forged pistons in place.

The ECU flashing seems to have severe quality control problems and the dealers don't seem to understand the problem or the procedure for resolving it either.

And the kit may not be legal in CA (offroad only) anyway.

Maybe it's better to wait a while and enjoy what you have stock?

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
might aswell leave it stock if you live in Cali...im holdinmg the instructions right here and it says in bold not intented for vehicles registered for highway use

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
513 Posts
asswipe said:
Doesn't sound like the Stage-I is worth the trouble. The power gains seem to be marginal. Reading the other Stage-1 threads, they seem to indicate boost is still limited with Stage 1 because of the weak the wastegate spring which is there to limit boost because we have cast pistons and it would be risky to increase boost more than 18psi without forged pistons in place.

The ECU flashing seems to have severe quality control problems and the dealers don't seem to understand the problem or the procedure for resolving it either.

And the kit may not be legal in CA (offroad only) anyway.

Maybe it's better to wait a while and enjoy what you have stock?
Heres a few problems with what you said.

1 Quality control is not a major issue. The most recent batch of the ECU's were flashed incorrectly and caused a few bad ECU problems. There are roughly 140 units out there that work perfectly fine.

2 It is not the dealers job to know how to fix this problem. The parts are sold as-is, we all know that, if there is a problem either Mopar or helps you or your screwed, that's just how it is. Fortunately for us, the people over at Mopar are good people and are taking care of all with the problems.

Peace,

Justin

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 Quality control is not a major issue. The most recent batch of the ECU's were flashed incorrectly and caused a few bad ECU problems. There are roughly 140 units out there that work perfectly fine.

How can you be sure QC is not a major issue?
You didn't indicate how many ECU's comprise a batch. If a batch consisted of only a few (5 or 10) ECU's then I would probably agree with your opinion. But if a batch consists of larger number of ECU's, say several dozen or even a few hundred, then I would strongly disagree with you that QC is not a major problem.

How can you be sure there are 140 units out there that work perfectly fine? What is the source of your information?

I don't think you can make assertions that QC is not a major issue unless all the metrics are considered. To properly measure QC, we would need to know the total number of upgrades sold and of that number, how many have actually been installed and are found to be working correctly. A defect ratio could then be derived and QC could be accurately measured.

2 It is not the dealers job to know how to fix this problem. The parts are sold as-is, we all know that, if there is a problem either Mopar or helps you or your screwed, that's just how it is. Fortunately for us, the people over at Mopar are good people and are taking care of all with the problems.

There is another post elsewhere indicating a dealer wanted $80 to reflash an incorrectly flashed Stage-I ECU. Either this particular dealer is unaware of the as-is policy or they are unaware Mopar is taking care of all with the problems as you indicate. This sugests a communication problem exists between Mopar and the dealer involved, which suggests another QC problem. Actually, there seems to be a generic QC problem between Mopar and their dealer network for these cars. For example, there are several posts on this forum complaining about dealers using regular mineral oil instead of Synthetic.

I think the SRT-4 is a very reasonable balance between various compromises. The power is certainly adequate and matches the handling and other characteristics of the car very nicely. I'm not sure why anyone would want to risk ruining this with as-is upgrades that are also apparently illegal, at least here in CA.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We've only seen about 10 or so people with complaints about a bad ECU. There was a Dmail sent to dealers about how to fix the problem if they had a customer who got a bad ecu. The email gave them a phone number to call, who would inform the dealers of the fix - for free. The dealer charging money was just trying to rip off the srt owner. The owner could also call Mopar directly and get the fix. Dealers and DCX only have communication issues because dealers decide to ignore the info they are given.

·
Registered
253 Posts
RANT

The solution that Mopar is giving is not acceptable to me. Shipping electronic parts out that do not work is BAD quality control. Especially for a performace division. If it is 1 or 200 shipped out bad it is too many sent out bad. I work in a businees where one mistake could cost the company I work for millions of dollars, I work under those type conditions and I guess I am used to other companies having the same type quality control. The only thing that keeps a lot of jobs in the US is the quality products produced , As the publics acceptance of quality goes down for things produced in this country the more those jobs are going to other countires where price and not quality is the deciding factor.
Try doing the install and not having it work and then having to put the old back in and see if you think there is not a quality control problem.
Thats my rant... and now I feel better....

I am looking forward to driving the car after the stage one is fully installed and working Monday.

:ugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
ebbtide said:
We've only seen about 10 or so people with complaints about a bad ECU. There was a Dmail sent to dealers about how to fix the problem if they had a customer who got a bad ecu. The email gave them a phone number to call, who would inform the dealers of the fix - for free. The dealer charging money was just trying to rip off the srt owner. The owner could also call Mopar directly and get the fix. Dealers and DCX only have communication issues because dealers decide to ignore the info they are given.
10 or so out of how many total?

Of interest here is the defect ratio (total purchases vs. failure instances).

Perhaps we don't know precisely how many ECU's were purchased. If so, then perhaps this forum could be used as a vehicle for surveying the membership with the objective of gathering the necessary metrics? With those in hand, a reasonable case could be made to Mopar with a view to getting them to improve their quality. Otherwise Mopar may have little incentive to improve their quality, either for any additional Stage-I kits or for future upgrades such as the Stage-II kit which is already being discussed on this forum.

It may be a little unrealistic to expect zero defects. And we are not talking about millions of $ either. We are actually dealing with the quality associated with mass produced, relatively inexpensive Stage-I kits. It is not unreasonable to expect better quality than is currently being experienced.

What is at stake is the good name of Mopar with respect to quality. The SRT Forums group can help Mopar achieve better success in this effort by providing them with reasonable metrics.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
less than 3500 SRT's made.

I would guess less than 500 Stage I orders.

Say 20 units with errors. 4% with problems.

I also agree that NONE should have a problem...

I think I'll wait at least some before my order goes in.
Stage I will be my first real mod and maybe the only one for a while.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Update on my stage 1 and Mopar

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my stage 1. I got it Thursday with no VIN flashed in so my car wouldn't run with the new computer in.

Due to the fact that we just had the long 4th of July weekend, I didn't hear back from anyone at Mopar or DCX. I expected that.
First thing this morning, I got a call from Jim Perry at Mopar. Last night at 11:30pm, UniqTwin emailed me back. So they have been very responsive.

The two options I was given from Mopar:
1. Overnight the PCM to Mopar, at their expense, they flash in the VIN, then overnight it back to me. Jim says that it takes about five minutes to do. So I overnight it on Tuesday, get it back on Thursday.

2. Find a dealer that will flash in the VIN. Couple problems with this: a) IF by some slight chance someone else's VIN was flashed into the PCM, this option will not work. The dealer has no way to fix this and I would end up sending it back to Mopar anyway. b) Jim said that he is not aware of any dealers that have the ability to flash VINs outside of the car. This means that either the owner has to put the new computer in at the dealership in the parking lot, or you have to pay the dealer to put it in the car to flash it. Either way, you have to pay. c) brings me to the next thing - you have to pay the dealer to put it in, or at least my dealer told me this. And the minimum labor charge is one hour. My dealer charges $76/hr labor. Expected time is one hour.

Considering everything, I am going to take Mopar up on their deal and send it back to them. That is the deal that Mopar is making. If you go to a dealer to fix the problem, you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. Mopar has no refund policy in place for those that don't send the PCM back to Mopar to fix. I am please with the fact that they will let me overnight it to them at their expense and they will overnight it back to me, again at their expense. Seems reasonable to me. I wish it wouldn't have happened, but it did, but at least they are taking care of it.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I think as of now there have only been 5 or 6 that have been w/out the vin.....

If you have any problems don't hesitate to say something, because they are more than happy to take care of it.

I know there was one person that Paid the dealler to Put the VIN in. I talked to Uniq about it and she said she MAY be able to do something about it. Let me know what dealler you did it at and I'll let her know.;)

Daytona

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
daytonagts said:
I think as of now there have only been 5 or 6 that have been w/out the vin.....

If you have any problems don't hesitate to say something, because they are more than happy to take care of it.

I know there was one person that Paid the dealler to Put the VIN in. I talked to Uniq about it and she said she MAY be able to do something about it. Let me know what dealler you did it at and I'll let her know.;)

Daytona
ONLY 5 or 6..... and of course one of them had to be mine. :mad:

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
bad PCM

And one was mine. :(
I didn't know about the Mopar deal at the time. We called Cutomer One and they told me to go to the dealer and get it flashed, but I had to pay....

Daytona, if you can help, mine was Palmer Dodge in Roswell, GA.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Re: bad PCM

Pit Viper said:
And one was mine. :(
I didn't know about the Mopar deal at the time. We called Cutomer One and they told me to go to the dealer and get it flashed, but I had to pay....

Daytona, if you can help, mine was Palmer Dodge in Roswell, GA.
The PCM's weren't bad.....

They just didn't have the VIN funtion done, I don't know why...

All the other S1 stuff was there though, that how the dealer could just put the VIN in and you could go.

Hey Pit I'll pass this info along to Uniq for you, When I talked to her about it this afternoon She said she MAY (no promise) be able to do something for you.

Daytona

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.