Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having issues with moisture leaking in your black housing headlamps? I really like them and am contemplating a purchase but I don't want to be disappointed with cheap quality headlamps.

Also, hak if you read this, what are your thoughts on silica gel packets inside headlamps for moisture? I saw this on the cobalt forum and it peaked my interest.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
Mercury got the packets and idea from us over on hidplanets forums. Lots of companies use those packets in anthing to help fight of moisture in enclosed areas so it could only help. People have had success with them on hidplanet so far. To get your packets go here http://www.hidplanet.com/silica.html

As far as the black housing headlights leaking, this is the first I've heard of. They are not made by DEPO but rather Eagle Eyes so there is a slight drop in quality but overall I haven't seen anyone mention them leaking around here. A good buddy of mine, speedooooo on the forums, hasn't mentioned his leak and he's been having them ever since they came out. Perhaps you got a bad batch maybe. I do know this, on the Eagle Eye headlights, the turn signal bulb and socket they use are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!! About 8 out of 10 I come across literally fall slap apart right at the socket and bulb LOL. I can touch one and it will fall apart LOL. Defiantly need to use the sylvania running gear that comes stock and also with the DEPO units.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you use silica packets in your retros?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got mine off ebay and I havent had any moisture problems whatsover. I just used the rubber piece from the oem headlights in order for them to fit perfect. The rubber piece that came around the aftermarket headlight was very thin and It would leave me with a slight gap between the bumper and headlight.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long have you had your lamps and does your car stay inside a garage or outside?

Unfortunately my car is outside 24-7 and exposed to all the elements including morning dew/frost. :(

·
Registered
745 Posts
evo77 said:
How long have you had your lamps and does your car stay inside a garage or outside?

Unfortunately my car is outside 24-7 and exposed to all the elements including morning dew/frost. :(
Had em for like 2-3 months. Car mostly sleeps in the garage. Stays outside every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
srtfoyoazz said:
I got mine off ebay and I havent had any moisture problems whatsover. I just used the rubber piece from the oem headlights in order for them to fit perfect. The rubber piece that came around the aftermarket headlight was very thin and It would leave me with a slight gap between the bumper and headlight.
Yeah I've noticed that issue on the rubber piece as well on the aftermakret lights. However, the DEPOs sit pretty close to what the factory ones did and isn't as cheap of rubber as the Eagle Eyes ones are. The DEPO ones haven't had any gaps on mine but the Eagle Eye ones have been known to cause a small gap here or there. Simple fix is just what you mention, to reuse the stock OEM rubber surround and they'll fit nice and snug again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey Hak,
You mentioned the socket and bulbs are cheap. Is that somthing that can be easily transfered from the original headlight or is it the part of the housing that it screws into? Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I had the moisture issue in my driver side issue. It was due to the fact that 1) I did not have the socket in completely tight and 2) you HAVE to use the socket connecter that comes with the lights. If you reuse your stocker then you will get moisture.

·
Registered
776 Posts
hozay09 said:
I had the moisture issue in my driver side issue. It was due to the fact that 1) I did not have the socket in completely tight and 2) you HAVE to use the socket connecter that comes with the lights. If you reuse your stocker then you will get moisture.
Thanks for clearing that up. In your opinion do you think they are a quality product? Also Ive noticed that 4-headlights sells a set for 200 + shipping and some other place sells them for 160 + shipping, do you know if theres any diffrence between the two? All Ive heard is there is only one company that makes them so I had been under the assumtion that they were the same. Thanks again.
Dan

·
Registered
624 Posts
if you are planning a retro 4-headlights had a few sets of depos for $150 a while ago (where i got mine). they might still have the promotion on.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I had moisture in the passenger side unit. I took the rubber rings off and replaced them with the stock ones. The ones that came with the black headlights were super thin and already starting to tear.

·
Registered
776 Posts
haknslash said:
Who sells the all black ones for $160?
Yah, like black irish said, Ebay. Theres from what I had seen 4 diffrent companys on ebay that sell them. I just cant ever tell if they are all the same or diffrent. The pics keep throwing me off (some look flat, some look like they may be glossy). My main concern however is getting a quality product, espectially since Im torn between the all black housing or getting an set of 03's. Thanks again
Dan

·
Registered
776 Posts
squeezin SR20 said:
Got mine from 4headlights on Ebay. Had them for about 4 months with no issue.
In thier pictures its kinda hard for me to tell if they are flat or glossy. How was the fitment with them? Just like stock? Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Nomorespecv said:
Thanks for clearing that up. In your opinion do you think they are a quality product? Also Ive noticed that 4-headlights sells a set for 200 + shipping and some other place sells them for 160 + shipping, do you know if theres any diffrence between the two? All Ive heard is there is only one company that makes them so I had been under the assumtion that they were the same. Thanks again.
Dan
They are all the same. Whether you pay $150 or $200 they all come from the same manufacturer. I've had mine on since the beginning and the moisture wasn't even a serious issue. Got that taken away easily.

I've sold a bunch of em when I was a 4headlights dealer and I've only had one come back do to a freak accident. They're still on my car today with no problems. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts