Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into these oil offerings at all - Mobil 1 Race Oil? Anyone have any thoughts? I know there are a lot of people who say to only run what's on the oil cap, but I'm not that person. I'm always trying to learn and understand more. The high zinc content is something that's appealing. Who doesn't want a sacrificial wear layer? Currently, I'm running Mobil 1 0W40 European with good oil analysis. Is a 0W50 going to be detrimental in any way? Thinner than most oil at startups for startup protection with less viscosity loss as things heat up preventing it from thinning out as it gets hot. I just wonder if a 50 weight is too heavy and would have any adverse affects?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I dont know anything about the Mobil 1 Race Oil.

My car has run Mobil 1 0W40 European since 2004 without incident.
Ethan, aka DodgeTweaker (the lead engineer for the PVO SRT-4 project), recommended it.

I tried 20W50 once but didn't like the jelly like globs of snot.
On the inside of the valve cover that it left.
I think 20W50 may have been a bit too thick for best fuel economy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i Hear race oil is supposed to be changed out after each race.thats as much as I know about Race oil I’ve never run it before. it’s really expensive for a quart of oil to.

Reactions: AlmightyFork

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Power driven diesel has a great video on oil

the skinny
Change often, for me 5k daily or 3k racing
High zinc lubricant, removed by epa from most
High phosphorus, keeps dirt suspended so filter can remove

during Covid I decided to freshen my motor, rings and new rod bearings. Sent rod bearings (140k on them) to king, and they were still inspec
Walmart high mileage often is working for me

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I've been using the same for almost the entire life of the car. I change the oil once a year since it doesn't accumulate as many miles anymore.
Yes, I change my oil and filter (K&N) once a year now.
She's semi-retired now and doesn't accumulate many miles anymore (128K now).
Less than 2K this year and last due to the pandemic.
I go more on the smell of the oil on the dipstick rather than miles or intervals.
Nevertheless, the oil always drains out black...with a slightly acrid smell...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts