Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 04 stock except for blow off valve and K&N Typhoon filter. Got check engine light, first couple of times it just flickered then when running a little hard came on and stayed on. took to autozone and they said a missfire on number 4. Put Super Conductor wires on it maybe 20k ago, car only has 124 k on it now. Replaced the plugs today with those E-3 things. took out and drove hard a couple of times, no light, didn't seem to run as strong as usual. Then when pulling up a slight hill in 3rd, have it a little gas and the light flickered on. Maybe the coil, have ordered a yellow performance coil (didn't say what brand) from Rock Auto. Will try it. I really don't think it is the wires. A couple of the Champion plugs had shorter electrodes than the other two. Any Ideas????

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
I don't want to assume anything, sounds as though you had the plugs out, are they gapped correctly? Our cars are notorious for issues with that. Also, if I understand correctly about the coil, you are better off with a new stock coil than any other coil, I've heard both good and bad about MSD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to assume anything, sounds as though you had the plugs out, are they gapped correctly? Our cars are notorious for issues with that. Also, if I understand correctly about the coil, you are better off with a new stock coil than any other coil, I've heard both good and bad about MSD.
Have 04 stock except for blow off valve and K&N Typhoon filter. Got check engine light, first couple of times it just flickered then when running a little hard came on and stayed on. took to autozone and they said a missfire on number 4. Put Super Conductor wires on it maybe 20k ago, car only has 124 k on it now. Replaced the plugs today with those E-3 things. took out and drove hard a couple of times, no light, didn't seem to run as strong as usual. Then when pulling up a slight hill in 3rd, have it a little gas and the light flickered on. Maybe the coil, have ordered a yellow performance coil (didn't say what brand) from Rock Auto. Will try it. I really don't think it is the wires. A couple of the Champion plugs had shorter electrodes than the other two. Any Ideas????
Thanks, Shadow, I've already pulled the trigger on the new coil from Rock Auto.... as I said two of the old plugs had noticeably shorter electrodes than the other two, they were champions, I'm sure I gapped them correctly when I put them in, quite a while ago, the diff is from wear, or deteroriation I would assume, I don't think the Super Conductor wires would be bad,,,, they are relatively new. Too

Reactions: BbySnke

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
Yah I've had some weird issues with spark plugs, I went with the NGK cold for awhile, I think went back to stock, then back to the cold. I've found spark plugs loose, gaps worked their way wider, I think our cars are kind of hard on them LOL.

I didn't want to insult your intelligence, figured with the cars in your sig, that spark plug gap was probably a gimme but just wanted to ask :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be injector 4 that's clogged, if you have a idle that jumps at cold startup it could be that.
Thanks Pizanno,,, will remember that if when the new coil comes it doesn't cure it,

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
At your mileage I could tell you it is likely a blown intake manifold gasket on cyl4. With the engine cold, fire it up and spray brake-cleaner in and around the corner and edges of the intake manifold around cyl 4 (far right). You may even here a slight whistle or sucking there. Regardless, the engine will rev up when it inhales the spray, if it is indeed broken.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At your mileage I could tell you it is likely a blown intake manifold gasket on cyl4. With the engine cold, fire it up and spray brake-cleaner in and around the corner and edges of the intake manifold around cyl 4 (far right). You may even here a slight whistle or sucking there. Regardless, the engine will rev up when it inhales the spray, if it is indeed broken.
Thanks up shift, I got coil today, will put it on tomorrow and go from there... thanks again for the ideas

Reactions: UpShiftSRT4

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks up shift, I got coil today, will put it on tomorrow and go from there... thanks again for the ideas
Up Shift, I haven't gotten around to putting the coil on yet,,, BUT I drove it a few minutes ago, got on it a little bit, still wasn't running up to par, BUT afterwards it started whistling,,, I came home, it was still whistling, had bought a new can of brake kleen, got it out and sprayed around number 4 intake,, didn't notice it revving up, but at one time it immediately stopped the whistle,,, this makes me think you are right about the intake gasket. got back in it and revved it up a few times and it started whistling again,, I will probably put the yellow (rock auto} Ultra Power performance coil on it anyway, keep the stock for a backup.. will get a friend of mine who does my mechanic work that I don't feel comfortable with to do the gasket, and clean the fuel injectors at the same time. Are these coils ok??? Thanks so much for the idea, I think now that it is whistling that this may be the problem!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Up Shift, I haven't gotten around to putting the coil on yet,,, BUT I drove it a few minutes ago, got on it a little bit, still wasn't running up to par, BUT afterwards it started whistling,,, I came home, it was still whistling, had bought a new can of brake kleen, got it out and sprayed around number 4 intake,, didn't notice it revving up, but at one time it immediately stopped the whistle,,, this makes me think you are right about the intake gasket. got back in it and revved it up a few times and it started whistling again,, I will probably put the yellow (rock auto} Ultra Power performance coil on it anyway, keep the stock for a backup.. will get a friend of mine who does my mechanic work that I don't feel comfortable with to do the gasket, and clean the fuel injectors at the same time. Are these coils ok??? Thanks so much for the idea, I think now that it is whistling that this may be the problem!
My car whistled when the IM gasket let go.
The exhaust also had more popping noises.

Whistle went away when I sprayed the IM with soapy water.
So I knew it was the IM.

I don't think spraying Brake Kleen is a good idea to spray...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You should keep the stock coil on and keep the new one as a back-up. And you just didn't get brakecleaner into the hole(s) in the gasket as we experts are able to. But either way, we know it is the intake manifold gasket. Report back when it replaced :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, guys, it was indeed the intake gasket

Reactions: Simon.Starkie
1 - 12 of 12 Posts