Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So i have been having this issue with a misfire when hitting 15psi or more of boost. This happens at WOT in all gears. I have a 93 tune installed at the moment. I switched back to factory tune and the misfire doesnt happen at factory tune. This is only happening with 93 tune. The turbo is stock and has been rebuilt and installed 1 week ago, bfmic, and gutted cat. I have replaced the spark plugs with iridiums and gapped at .032 (brand new 4 days old). Coil and wires are granateli and were installed 4 months ago. I checked the resistance on the wires and found them to be good at .2 ohms. Yeaterday i replaced the fuel pressure regulator with a factory 58psi one. The fuel pump is a 255 walbro that was installed 4 months ago.

I dont have a A/F gauge at the moment. I did add 5% fuel at 3-4k and 5-6k and the misfire does not come on as hard. Could this be a fuel issue? After replacing the turbo the car was running really strong. After a week of driving this issue just popped up out of nowhere. After a few times of the misfire happening from test driving the check engine light would flash. Also at one point it threw a P0300. Im running out of things to check for. There have been a lot of people with similar issues and a majority of them were successful with plug, wire, and coil replacement or plug gap. Please any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Go back to stock tune. Buy a wideband. Install wideband. Do a boost leak test. Fix leaks. Fuel injectors if they have never been cleaned, good idea to have them professionally cleaned and put new orings on them. I never liked granateli wires. They would not click on my plug. But that was right when they came out years ago. Then get a custom tune. The canned 93 tune has been known to run too lean. Don't blow your shit up.

Mileage on car?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
i would
1-borrow the fuel pressure gauge from autozone and tape it to the dash .. noting pressure as you do a pull (should stay at 58psi)
2-send injectors out to be cleaned !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go back to stock tune. Buy a wideband. Install wideband. Do a boost leak test. Fix leaks. Fuel injectors if they have never been cleaned, good idea to have them professionally cleaned and put new orings on them. I never liked granateli wires. They would not click on my plug. But that was right when they came out years ago. Then get a custom tune. The canned 93 tune has been known to run too lean. Don't blow your shit up.

Mileage on car?
Mileage is 127k. Im definitely in the process in getting a widband. Car is a 2005

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE
Issue has been fixed. Turned out to be a bad coil. I had tested multiple things before throwing money into replacement parts.

-injector pulse was consistent
-resistance of the wires were good (.2 ohms)
-spark plugs were replaced and gapped
-fuel pressure regulator was replaced
-only code that was given was P0300

Anytime at WOT the misfire would happen. This happened in all gears regardless of boost pressure. I decided to pull each plug wire while the car was on and watch the arc. There was noticeable weak spark on #1 and #4 cylinders. #4 cylinder wire would not arc at all when trying to ground it. Wires were switched with a good strong wire and the problem still exists. This definitely told me the coil was not good. Since Modern Performance is located 15 mins away from my house, the guys there helped me out and had a spare granateli coil to give. Replaced the coil and all is good now.

I hope this helps someone else who experiences this same issue.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
easy enough. nice. crazy the coil was bad after only 4 months!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Hello,
So i have been having this issue with a misfire when hitting 15psi or more of boost. This happens at WOT in all gears. I have a 93 tune installed at the moment. I switched back to factory tune and the misfire doesnt happen at factory tune. This is only happening with 93 tune. The turbo is stock and has been rebuilt and installed 1 week ago, bfmic, and gutted cat. I have replaced the spark plugs with iridiums and gapped at .032 (brand new 4 days old). Coil and wires are granateli and were installed 4 months ago. I checked the resistance on the wires and found them to be good at .2 ohms. Yeaterday i replaced the fuel pressure regulator with a factory 58psi one. The fuel pump is a 255 walbro that was installed 4 months ago.

I dont have a A/F gauge at the moment. I did add 5% fuel at 3-4k and 5-6k and the misfire does not come on as hard. Could this be a fuel issue? After replacing the turbo the car was running really strong. After a week of driving this issue just popped up out of nowhere. After a few times of the misfire happening from test driving the check engine light would flash. Also at one point it threw a P0300. Im running out of things to check for. There have been a lot of people with similar issues and a majority of them were successful with plug, wire, and coil replacement or plug gap. Please any advice is appreciated!
That cat was worth $300 at the scrap yard. Just sayin.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
That cat was worth $300 at the scrap yard. Just sayin.
Lots of pi$$ poor losers have been stealing CATS off of cars like crazy due to the price of the precious metals in them. Sad there are people that regularly do that.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Lots of pi$$ poor losers have been stealing CATS off of cars like crazy due to the price of the precious metals in them. Sad there are people that regularly do that.
Can't do that here. You have to fill out paperwork what car it came from who owns the car, copy of your license, picture taken, and they mail you the check to your address. So if you steal them in Florida you will be caught or at least someone will be caught and going to jail. They all have SN on them to trace where they came from.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Can't do that here. You have to fill out paperwork what car it came from who owns the car, copy of your license, picture taken, and they mail you the check to your address. So if you steal them in Florida you will be caught or at least someone will be caught and going to jail. They all have SN on them to trace where they came from.
glad they are doing something about it out there. I am sure there are black markets where people sell them illegally.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
yep a lot of shady exhaust shops will buy them up and sell them to customers at a markup. Not a huge deal on cars that sit low like ours as its more difficult for a thief to steal. Its real bad for trucks where the thief can just slide under there, cut it out, and be gone in minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts