Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is mainly for us (ahem) older, more mature owners -what few there are.
Do you feel owning this car is a result of your mid-life crisis?
I am 44, and I love my SRT. I know it's mainly aimed at the 20-somethings, but I find its combination of power and 4-door practicality a winner. Plus, I love the way it looks. I sure didn't buy it to attract women, because I don't think SRTs have much appeal in that direction.

I don't think it's my crisis car. I've always liked fast cars, and I'm tired of driving the minivan on weekends. Maybe my Ninja ZX-7 is a crisis bike, but I've always owned motorcycles, too (this is my tenth bike).
So..are we riding through our mid-life crisis in an SRT-4?

For you younger guys, a mid-life crisis is not an attempt to feel younger. It's more like a realization that this is your last chance to make drastic changes in your life before it's too late.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Shadorider said:
This thread is mainly for us (ahem) older, more mature owners -what few there are.
Do you feel owning this car is a result of your mid-life crisis?
I am 44, and I love my SRT. I know it's mainly aimed at the 20-somethings, but I find its combination of power and 4-door practicality a winner. Plus, I love the way it looks. I sure didn't buy it to attract women, because I don't think SRTs have much appeal in that direction.

I don't think it's my crisis car. I've always liked fast cars, and I'm tired of driving the minivan on weekends. Maybe my Ninja ZX-7 is a crisis bike, but I've always owned motorcycles, too (this is my tenth bike).
So..are we riding through our mid-life crisis in an SRT-4?

For you younger guys, a mid-life crisis is not an attempt to feel younger. It's more like a realization that this is your last chance to make drastic changes in your life before it's too late.
man its never too late...... sure I'm only 26, but when I'm 56 I will think the same way. As for if its a midlife crisis car? Guess that all depends on age and perspective, but when I think in general about midlife crisis cars- neons are not near the top of that list.

·
Registered
930 Posts
at 35 and 2 little kids I would say this is more of a semi-mid-life crisis car..lol I too have had my share of bikes but crouching over a r1 at 25 is a lot different then at 35. Thats why they made UJM's like Bandits, Fazers, ZR-11 (the old style eddie lawson kawis) and what ever honda has in that class. You get the near same power with an upright riding position.

Anyhow I think the SRT-4 is a good "starter" mid-life crisis car. I am shooting for a vette next car around but maybe another SRT will be before that or Corbra.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Like ATL, I am not in your age bracket yet, only 28 (soon). But, I have been accused of this being my 1/4 life crisis car (I hope I am not around when I am 112). I look at it differently. I had a 2001 Ram 1500 before my -4. I freakin hated getting gas in the damn thing all the time, or filling it up for $45 :buah: . Plus, I rarely utilized it as a pickup, it was just my daily driver. The SRT is a great compromise between functionality; 4 doors, decent gas milage, and performance. All that for $150 less in a car payment every month for me. I saw it is a no brainer. Sure, I could have gotten a Prius for better mileage, or a Cobra for better performance, but the SRT does all of those things well. I guess the question is, "Do you look at it as a mid-life crisis car?" As a mid-life crisis car, I would set my sights a little higher. Enjoy your car, and if it makes you feel a little younger, I guess that's a plus.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
LOL..........

"So..are we riding through our mid-life crisis in an SRT-4?"

I was until last Saturday.... now my crisis is riding aroung in an 04 Cobra :thumbsup:

The SRT4 was a "smart purchase" for me (4 door, decent gas milage, insurance, price, etc)......... the Cobra definately pulled on my 43 year old mind. I literally said to myself that I am not going to live the REST of my life waiting on tomorrow because I may not have tomorrow (aka mid-life crisis). I could afford it today so today it was :clap:

·
Registered
22 Posts
At 46 this is not a mid-life crisis car for me. Rather it's, believe or not, an excellent commuter car! If I don't drive like a madman (difficult at times) I can pull off 27 mpg.
The real nice part, left lane lurkers and other clueless motor vehicle operators can no longer deny me when I want to do a quick pass.
Nothing was more frustrating than getting stuck behind some minivan in the left lane of a crowded 4 lane highway (in my former commuter, a Hyundai Elantra GT), finding a break to get around the hated LLL, and then haveing this stinking minivan decide to race me for the spot in the left lane!!! And I would lose!!! :flame:
Obviously not a problem now, look for the strategic moment, downshift, and watch said LLL disappear in my rear view. This for under $20K. :clap:
I think autocrossing is in the near future as well.
Therefore, a multi-purpose, all around fun car. With excellent tunability and what looks to be a bullet proof motor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oldie but goodie

:hi: Hey, I'm going on 54 and when I was 17 I had a 64 Chevy with a 327. While the SRT could blow the doors off my Chev. my 70 Dart with a 340, was a little more to my liking. Well as the family grew, the Dart had to go, but my performance brain set was already ingrained and it was only a matter of time for the auto makers to make a car with some decent performance at a reasonable price. So, as the saying goes "In heaven there is no beer, that's why I drink it here, so shall I drive my Dodge performance car. I guess I will until they take my license away! :tongue:

·
Registered
800 Posts
No such thing as a "Midlife crisis car". That's a term made up by wannabes who are clueless about cars. Carroll Shelby is like 100 or something and still cranking out badass cars. Once you're a car guy, you're always a car guy. It's in your blood... it's a way of life. :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am 19 soon to be 20 here so I can't excactly say for sure its a mid-life crisis car but I'll tell you this: As far as I know I don't care if I am going 50 or 80 as long as I breathe I am going to own cars that I am passionate about. Cars is my passion and age isnt going to stop me. And if its the case for you too then age is should just a number. IMO its when you start thinking you're old that you truly old. :goodyear:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'm 38, and went from daily driving my '87 CSX for several years to the SRT-4. I'm just addicted to boost. :warp: The last eight vehicles I've owned were DCX products (still have four of them), so I guess I am, by definition, a "Mopar nuthugger." But some of us waited a long time for this turbo Neon. It's not a mid-life crisis, it's a mid-life Chrysler. :D (not my original pun)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 41 years old, and have always had some sort of "hot rod" or another. The list is way too long to go into, but suffice it to say I've always loved fast cars. Sometimes, like now, I've owned 2 at the same time. Currently have the SRT-4 for a daily driver, and my beloved 87 Grand National, with only 56000 miles, as my hobby car.

·
Registered
435 Posts
JeffW said:
I'm 41 years old, and have always had some sort of "hot rod" or another. The list is way too long to go into, but suffice it to say I've always loved fast cars. Sometimes, like now, I've owned 2 at the same time. Currently have the SRT-4 for a daily driver, and my beloved 87 Grand National, with only 56000 miles, as my hobby car.
Glad I'm not alone!, I just turned 41 this month, and have also owned nothing but Dodge Turbo's that I have modded to make even faster.
I just receintly sold 2 Spirit R/T's and am trying to sell my Omni GLH.
Us older folks need speed too!

04 SRT-4 Electric Blue

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm 40 and I want an SRT4. What I'm driving now isn't even close. It isn't about a mid life crisis. My goal as I get older is to be driving faster and faster cars. I need more fun in my life anyway.

Besides, I wanna see if the sound of the BOV really turns chicks on like some of ya'll say. :-D

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
im a 41yr. old teenage punk.............

I turned 40 last yr., & had come to the realization that id been workin & savin for 25 yrs., all the while driving 25+yr. old cars........it was time for a BRAND NEW car...........i deserved it,........then we had a REAL cold winter up here in Ct., & my ol' 72 Gran-Prix was givin me starting fit's every time it got below freezing,.......soo i bought the SRT, & I never regretted it.........im like a teenager again..........lookin for excuses to "take the car out" :jester: _________5TOEZ_______10k in 6 month's not bad eh?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I turned 43 last month, and have been a Mopar Man since my dad taught me to drive in his 71 Charger.

My cycles have always satisfied my speed craving, but after seeing what the SRT could do, I decided it was time to get a fast 4-wheeler.

Though the SRT may get traded in for a new Hemi Charger in a year or so :eveilgrin .

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am 44 and still counting.

Some people might view this as mid-life but this is not the case for me. I traded in my wife's 99 300M (I still have my M Special) for this car. I love the looks but mainly the performance for the dollar (paid exactly 20K minus a good trade dollar). I also tinker around with cars quite a bit (71 Cuda, 71 Vette, Saab 900 Turbo, F150 supercharged). I was trying to make my 02 300M Special faster and even got as far as making a true ram air system out of fiberglass for it. This barely put a dent in the performance but I still love the car. The SRT-4 fit the go fast bill and the modification options are endless. Point is I can't leave my cars alone and I like to be different. The SRT-4 is the perfect car to play with. It is not like the good ole days where you could order a 1971 Cuda and find more than 2 identical cars in the entire county.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.