Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mazdaspeed & I do love the car, but I'm disappointed at how
limited I am as far as modding it up goes.
I just got the car, but I'm starting to really love the SRT-4.
I have also learned that the SRT-4 can be made to handle just as
good or even better then my Mazdaspeed.
SO, question here is: Would I take a big hit in a tread?
Any opinions: If any of you guys were in my shoes, would you
tread or stay with the Mazda?
I had the car now for about 3 months & about 8000 miles.
It has a lot of paint chips on the front hood & front bumper.
The power of the car is cool & all, but I know I can handle more power
& I just need more power anyway. Why? Just cause, I love the feel
of power in my hands & I'm sure the SRT can deliver.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Just keep it Dude, it's a nice car.

You'll always find something better than the car you have. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would love to have yours. :wink:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Keep the MSP.
You are going to lose at LEAST (this is being nice) $2000.
First get some mods...you are still stock! Put on a CAI, exhaust and a boost controller (9-10psi is safe), people with those mods are running low to mid 14s @ around 96-98mph. While its not quite as fast as an SRT, its still plenty fast. (this isnt even $2000 worth of mods, if you are very serious contact the spoolin guy, who is making turbo upgrades...you could be the first stage III msp :) )

If that still isnt fast enough there is of course much more you can do, but if you must you can get the SRT. Remember, the resale value on the MSP is going to be KILLER (just as good as the MP3s if not better), so keep the car at least 1-2 moe years (see what other cars come out...alot of fast cheap cars are coming that will rival the SRT4) and dont take the $2000+ hit.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Both cars are nice and sweet. Stay with what you NEED and what you WANT (two different things). Also, there's that financial thing.

If you want to toy around with the car (mods and stuff), I'd go with the SRT-4. It's made for that I believe. I don't know about the MSP to say much.

Like the guys said. If you decide to trade, wrap your trade nice and clean.

Again, "need" and "want" is what to keep in mind along with how much spare change yu have left in your wallet. :wink:

jst my $0.01

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you want to mod a car and make it really fast the srt-4 way out shines the MSP. Your going to have to do major internal work to make good HP in a MSP. Unlike the srt-4 witch was designed around the turdo the MSP's turbo was an after though, the internls are the same as a normal protega. But it would make a great show car, I like how it looks. I think the ? is go or show?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the ? is go or show?
um i have to disagree, sorry. While the SRT will always be easier to make faster in a straight line (.4L, bigger turbo & forged internals), it is not hard to make the MSP run low 14s.

InsanseSRT it sounds like you are an impulse buyer, and when you are dealing wih cars its tough. But if you come to the SRT website, you should know most people are going to tell you to get the SRT. On a mazda website they will tell you to keep the mazda. Its your decision...dont feel you have to make it hasteily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys, but in the end I guess it's going to be a lost anyway.
Quark, I think you put it best, so it looks like staying with my car is my best bet. I just think I could of waited for the SRT, but the Mazdaspeed looked like such a great deal & it is. I do love the car.
Well thank you guys for taking time out, it helps to have insight from other people.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Traded my MP3 for the SRT with no regrets. However, I hadn't driven the MSP either. Tough choice, But the SRT kicks butt. Of course I am biased, I now have an all Dodge lineup

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Tomorrow I will have my MSP downpipe made. From what I see I can tell you this. The performance on it is not all that being that its only 170hp and at 10psi the rods come apart.

B U T!!!!!

It has a bad ass interior, bad ass suspention, awsome sound system and it looks very very tight!

Oh, dont forget about the bad ass enki stock wheels that it comes with!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Yeah. Free that exhaust up first Insane, the exhaust is really restrictive. See how much hussies you get after that, and don't cut corners.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
Tomorrow I will have my MSP downpipe made. From what I see I can tell you this. The performance on it is not all that being that its only 170hp and at 10psi the rods come apart.
You have no right to say that.
I saw you on MSprotege asking people what the car can take.
You have no idea (well ok some ;) ) what the rods can take, so don't go saying the crumble into dust @ 10psi.

You out of everyone I would expect not to jump to conclusions (being a tuner and all).

If you read what they told you some people are running 10psi with no problem, and one or two are running 11 with no problems yet either.
Granted the rods can't take much more than that, but thats just wrong giving out false info :evil:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Khryz said:
Yeah. Free that exhaust up first Insane, the exhaust is really restrictive. See how much hussies you get after that, and don't cut corners.
Right on! Turboback Exhaust (w/downpipe), intake then up the boost a little seems to be the way to go on them!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
You also might want to replace that tinny little intercooler they borrowed from the turbodiesel and make some space for a nice FMIC.

The MSP is a sweet car - I have driven it, and while it doesn't have all the power of an SRT-4 I think it has better handling than even the Integra type R. I really like the body style of the new 2003.5 Mazdaspeed protege's - avail in April - May. Plus - it comes in some real colors - not that horrible nuke-puke orange.

From Motortrend's website:
"The first 1750 will be available in Titanium Grey Metallic or Blazing Yellow Mica and the remaining 1000 will be available in Laser Blue Mica or Sunlight Silver Metallic. Other exterior upgrades include a racing-inspired front air dam, new rear skirt, larger and lighter rear spoiler, new Dark Hyper Silver wheel finish and an oval exhaust tip branded with the MazdaSpeed logo."

·
Registered
864 Posts
Have you even driven an SRT-4? You might not like it you know.

JC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
AWD OWNZ U
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing