Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maximum Horsepower Technology Shop LLC. developed and began offering our Battery Relocation Kit and Short Air Intake a few months ago. Sales on these two items have been low as expected due to the uniqueness of this product line. Now we have finally completed development on our CAI. The CAI was our end goal for this staged and interconnected product line. We will continue testing our CAI for another 2 weeks before offing it for sale on our web site. First lot should be available to ship in Mid April.

I must first apologize if I ever argued with anyone about the performance difference a good CAI can make on this car. Not to mention a big turbo. The difference in Power from our Short Air Intake was nothing short of amazing. :wah?!: It is a cold night here in TX. So, the ambient air temperature outside helped a lot. We took it out tonight for an hour drive to start testing it. I have got to believe the car was putting down 20~25 more whp then it was with the Short Air Intake. :thumbsup:

I believe the following are the cause of the increased performance:

1-The short air intake (hotter air) did seriously decrease the full potential of our big turbo. More so then we thought. We did not have apple to apple comparison due to the fact the Big Turbo and Short Air Intake were both installed and tested at the same time.

Anyone that argues the air is heated by the turbo and thus negating the effect of the CAI is wrong based on what I have seen tonight. It may heat it a little but not enough to negate the positive effect of the CAI.

2-The colder air and minimum bend design made the air denser going into the turbo, no restrictions in the air flow and thus got more oxygen and psi to the engine.

We will take it to the dyno very soon, so to show the difference in whp as compared to the short air intake. We got 380whp on the short air intake at 22psi. I expect to be very close to breaking 400whp with the CAI or achieve the 380whp with less boost. My only concern with the dyno is that the dyno is done setting still with the hood up. Thus I am not sure it will show the true (road test) difference in the performance.

This is a 3" CAI. Specifically design for a car without the battery in the engine bay for the most direct path to the cold air. Also it was specifically designed for big turbo. It has 3-45deg bends and 1-90deg bend. Made from 16awg mandrel bent aluminum tubing. It only has one hole added to the tubing for the AAT sensor.

Yes, there is another CAI like this on the market and it is a very very good product. This CAI can not be used with the smaller battery. It is not designed to go over the small battery. It is straight at that point in the tubing. Price for this CAI should be $159~$189 without filter. We have not nailed down the price yet.

Here are a few pic’s. We will post more on this new product in the very near future.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Cool but to me it just looks really cobbled together. But thats just looks, it might perform great.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pimpazzberetta said:
Cool but to me it just looks really cobbled together. But thats just looks, it might perform great.
I can't argue with the cobbled comment. It does have 3 connections. That may turn some off. But, I am pleased with the performance difference. We will do solid version (less couplers), If we think there is a market. But, I would not expect high volume on this. So, likely this is what it will look like.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We added the below product notes to our forum but also thought we should add this to this thread for more exposure.

(Maximum Horsepower Technology Shop LLC.) www.maxhptech.com

Dodge Neon SRT-4 – High Performance 3” CAI Kit

Note # 1, The base CAI kit comes with a 3” coupler for the big turbo connection. But, we will offer a 2.5” reducer as an upgrade option for those with stock turbo. The 2.5” reducer must be cut a little to insure it will fit with the larger 3" tubing. We will not cut it, and let the customer cut it during the installation, to insure the best fit on each particular setup (in the end we cut about ¼ inch off each end of the reducer for best fit on our setup). There was plenty left for a good solid connection to the stock turbo and there was no bind in the coupler. We ran the short air intake on the stock turbo for 2 months (it has the same tube piece as the CAI at the turbo connection and it had no issues during our testing and daily driving).

Note # 2, This CAI also gives you the option to run the short air intake set up in the rainy season. Conversion from CAI to short air intake takes about 5 minutes. Conversion back to CAI takes about 15 minutes.

Note # 3, Big turbo set up only needs one hole for the AAT sensor. So, the only hole in the tubing is for the AAT. But, you can get a kit to add additional holes to the intake at a location of your choosing. Spector makes a kit and it sales for about $10 at most auto parts stores.

Note # 4, This intake insures you are ready in the event you ever go big turbo. If you originally bought it with the reducer, you would only need to purchase a 3” coupler to use it with the big turbo. So, no buying a CAI now for stock turbo and then another 3” CAI later for your big turbo.

Note # 5, This CAI has 3 coupler connections points in the tubing (plus the connection to the turbo and the connection to the filter). Most other CAI's have 1 or 2 at the most. Some may not like the additional coupler connection point, but it has several advantages. 1-You have more adjustment points in the tubing to insure the best fit for your engine bay configuration and aftermarket toys. There are many threads about other intakes rubbing the hood or not fitting very well in the engine bay. 2-We don’t have a lot of special bends that cause a bottle neck in the supply chain/thus reducing lead-time. 3-If a piece is damaged it can be easily replaced and the entire CAI is not scraped because of a dent in the intake tube. 4-The couplers enable the short air intake option during the rainy season.

Note # 6, The base kit is unfinished. This gives the customer several options. 1-For those who are not into looks and only performance. They don’t need to pay for something they don’t care about. 2-If you do have a custom color scheme in your engine bay, you can then take this intake to the same painter/powder coater to have it match your other engine parts. 3-If you plan to wrap it with thermal wrap, you don’t need to pay for paint/powder coating that will just be covered up by the thermal wrap. 4-We will offer a powder coating upgrade option. 5-The unfinished base kit will help our supply chain and thus promote a better lead-time for the base kit. No, waiting for powder coating, or we have black in stock and you want unfinished. 6-Some may actually like the raw aluminum look.

Note # 7, The base kit price does not include a filter. Again, this is about options and not paying for something you don’t want. There are many filter options on the market. We will offer a basic filter with the kit as an upgrade option. But, some may already have a filter or want to use a filter other then the filter we can offer at a good price.

Note # 8, The CAI is solid. You can grab it in the middle connection and push and pull on it like you could on any CAI in the market. It will move no more then any CAI on the market if properly installed. It feels very solid. I have tugged it back many times over the past few days to show the stability of the product first had. It does not budge.

**Note # 9, This CAI kit requires the removal of the battery from the engine bay. This very factor has many pros and cons:

Pros:
1-Total removal of the battery from the engine bay gives the most direct path to the cold air, less bends in the tubing.
2-Total removal of the battery from the engine bay gives you a lot more space for other aftermarket goodies in the engine bay: oil catch can, MSD Dis Tech, MSD DIS-2 Ignition, Car Alarm horn, etc…
3-The fact that the battery is removed from the engine bay means you don’t need to have gone with the smaller battery. The smaller battery can not last long without the car running and recharging. So, you have that piece of mind that it will start after you have been running your stereo with the car off.
4-We expect the volume on this product to be very low due to the fact you need to remove your battery from the engine bay all together. Therefore, you should not see everyone with the same intake at your local meet.
5-Our BRK has a built in tranny cover. Or you can buy this if you relocate your battery on your own.
6-Product was designed with practicality and customization in mind. So, no two will look exactly the same once you have added your aftermarket goodies and customized the finish.
7-Battery is not subject to the heat of the engine bay and should have a much longer life.
8-The fact that the battery is not in the engine bay gives you the option to use whatever battery you want (Optima Gel Cell), due to the fact you are not restricted to the allotted battery tray space in the engine.
**9-Engine is much easier to work on now. You don’t need to remove the battery every time you need to work on the car. If you get the cut off switch, it is as simple as switching the power off. Also, you only need to loosen two of the intake hose clamps and the intake comes out allowing room to work on the car.

Cons:
1-The fact that you do need to move your battery will make this product line cost the same or a little more then other equivalent products on the market, depending on the upgrade options you select.
2-More couplers in the CAI tube, may not be aesthetically pleasing to some.
3-Don’t worry about your warranty. It is gone/void if you make these mods.
4-When using the stock battery in the trunk, there is a very small loss in voltage and amperage due to the longer battery cable needed to get the power from the trunk to the engine bay. But, as long as you use 2 awg or larger cable, the losses are insignificant to the car’s needs/per our testing. You may even have more voltage or amperage at the engine bay BUS if you use a gel cell battery.
5-Some just may not like the look of the engine bay with the open space that is provided via the removal of the battery and stock air box.
6-Base kit only comes with one hole for the AAT sensor. So, you will need to add any other connections you may need for your set up. There are kits available for about $10 at your local auto parts store.
7-The customization options available with this product line, thus requires that the customer have some mechanical/technical skills and knowledge of this car to insure a safe and correct installation and set up.

Weight distribution has been argued as a pro and a con when moving the battery to the trunk. I have heard good argument on both sides of moving the battery to the trunk. You are moving 40+ lbs of weight from the front of the car to the rear of the car. Our BRK has enough cable to allow the customer to put the battery on either side or middle of the cars trunk.

We do not recommend this product line for the novice. We have many other aftermarket intakes available on our web site for someone with little or no experience. We would recommend AEM short RAM or our AGP CAI. These are complete systems and require no customization or modification to meet your stock engine performance goals.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
if yall need another test car for that CAI lemy know :hi: just put the GT40 on, could do a pull on the AGP vs the MAXHPTEch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts