Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously i don't have one yet but i'm still curious. I think i've read other stuff about manually running the fan to help cool things and obviously it would bring a lot og air over the intercooler. sounds like a good deal to me... any cons?

would making it happen be as easy as running a switch to a relay and then running a second positive line to the fan to turn it on manually? (you wouldnt be able to turn it off completely, if you had it in the off position it would still come on when the car requiried)

·
Registered
313 Posts
First problem I see is burning the fan motor/module if ran too long. It'd prolly take a bit to burn it up, but is possible. Not sure exactly on the wiring. I could always look at the service manuals at work tomorrow if need be. Just let me know.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've done this in my Shelby Charger and it's pretty simple. The PCM sends a ground to the fan relay when it decides the fan should be on. All you have to do is mount a double-pole, single-throw switch with one wire going to chassis ground and the other wire going to the fan relay. When you throw the switch it provides a ground for the relay, which turns the fan on. The ground wire on the relay to splice into should be dark blue/pink, assuming that the SRT is the same as the other Neons.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah excellent info mike! that's even better than what i had in mind. i was going to use a switch to trip a whole new relay. what i wasnt sure of is if my switch was on if it would hurt anything if voltage was going back through the original fan wiring. thanks for the tip. as far as burning up the fan, i wouldn't plan to use it very long, just for a few mins at a time, like if im at a light for a while and the fan didnt come on or getting ready to go to cool the intercooler (which the car will prolly do on its own a lot of the time but whatever)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
you can buy actual electronic fan controllers and wire them yourself. they are about the size of a turbo timer and you can set them to maintain a constant water temp. off the top of my head i cant think of who makes them, but they are universal, any car can use them. go to autobacs. thats where i see them all the time.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
you can buy actual electronic fan controllers and wire them yourself. they are about the size of a turbo timer and you can set them to maintain a constant water temp. off the top of my head i cant think of who makes them, but they are universal, any car can use them. go to autobacs. thats where i see them all the time.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
lunchbox660
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing