Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the past few years I have been looking for this car. I’ve passed on a number of good looking 2003 yellows and some beat up 2004s because I knew there had to be one out there. And I found it and brought it home!

14,800 miles and a true 1 of 127 solar yellow from 2004. The car is not what I would call showroom immaculate (there are a couple scratches under the front lip), however it is absolutely mint for the year. I’ve owned 4 other SRT4’s and this one feels brand new, all the buttons, doors, seats, hvac controls, etc don’t feel worn at all. It was purchased new by a guy for his wife. The lady was about 60 years old at the time, so obviously had not driven the car for many years. It was found sitting in a garage under a cover by an awesome drag racing guy and brought to my attention through a facebook want to buy thread. For those that are curious, I bought it for original MSRP, just 18 years later!

It came with some questionable mods but most of them were appearance related which maybe looked cool in 2004 but definitely were not by today’s standards. Now, some would tell me, keep it stock, don’t drive it. It’ll be worth a lot one day! Well to them I would say, “Sorry, but I’m going to make this the car I’ve always wanted and won’t be selling it anytime soon.” This car will be getting an extensive makeover from top to bottom to modernize the powertrain and chassis. Link ECU standalone, KW v3 coilovers, Garrett g25-550 turbo, and much much more. It will be kept oem+ in taste, just hopefully bringing it to the 2020s. And don’t worry, after owning Vipers, GTR, Lamborghini, Corvettes, and more, I know how to have a weekend garage queen that is well kept.

Mod List
  • Engine
    • Mopar Stage 2 with Toys
    • Mopar Blue Plate BOV
    • 3” MPX O2 Housing
    • 3” MPX Side Exit Exhaust
    • CX Racing 4” Intercooler
    • K&N FIPK Air Intake
    • Torque Solution Motor Mounts (2) and Trans Mount (1)
  • Drivetrain
    • Maddog STS 50-4
    • AGP Billet Shift Selector
    • AGP Forged Shift Fork
    • AGP Forged Pivot Ball
    • Booger Bushings
    • MPX Clutch Pivot Arm
    • ACT XTSS Clutch Kit
    • ARP Clutch Flexplate Bolts
  • Suspension
    • Pwerks Front and Rear Strut Brace Bars
    • Pwerks Intercooler Crash Bar
    • Front Control Arms: Moog Arm w/ new ball joints, sealed spherical vertical bushings, and prothane poly horizontal bushings
    • Rear Control Arms: DCR Quiet Ride LCA
    • Rear Trailing Arm Bushing - Prothane Poly
    • Progress 27mm Front Swaybar with poly bushings and prothane endlinks
    • Progress 24mm Rear Swaybar with poly bushings and adjustable heim joint endlinks
    • KW v3 Coilovers w/ 340lb/in Front and 228lb/in Rear spring rates
    • Ground Control Front and Rear camber plates
  • Interior
    • Sparco r345 Wheel w/ hub and spacer
    • Lloyds floormats, front/rear/trunk
    • Mopar Stage Toys bezel
  • Brakes
    • Front: TCE Wilwood 13”x1.10 Big Brake Kit with BP10 pads
    • Rear: StopTech Slotted Rotors with Hawk HPS pads
  • Wheels
    • 17x8.0 OZ Ultraleggera in Satin Black
    • 245/40/17 R888r Tires
  • Appearance
    • MPX SRT4 Radiator Shroud w/ custom brackets
    • MPX Silicone Hose Kit (Radiator Hoses, Heater Core Hoses, Oil Cooler Hoses, Turbo Coolant Hose)
    • 5% Llumar Ceramic Window Tint
    • Black SRT4 trunk badge
    • Torque Solution shorty antenna

Stay tuned!

Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Sky Car Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first thing I had to do was to remove the appearance mods the previous owners must have thought were cool back in 2004.

Literally 10 minutes after the car came, I started peeling off the vinyl graphics. I soon realized it was above my paygrade though, as the Super Bee portion fell apart as I attacked it. Not to worry, I sent the car over to my detailer and he got it squared away. Vinyl was removed and the paint had a single coat correction and ceramic sealant applied. He also removed the leather wrap on the steering wheel and removed years of dust from the interior (though it still smells like old person lol).

Once I got the car back from the detailer, I also threw in a new maddog 50% shifter with a new shift boot and knob, and it made a world of difference. Further, I added some floormats from Modern Performance with SRT-4 in yellow.

I also threw in a new Sparco steering wheel. I went back and forth on whether to get the stock wheel wrapped in some better leather or to go aftermarket, but I’m going to try this route first. I really dislike how far away the steering wheel is stock, and really dislike how large the diameter is. So this is a small adjustment to try and resolve those issues, but it may make the interior too “modified” and I could change it up later on.

On the exterior I first removed a motorized front plate which seemed to lift at a certain speed or something? Was kind of complicated, so had to remove the wiring and brackets for that. I also put a stock third brake light in and swapped a local for some oem tail lights for the mopar 3d. I had the car debadged by the detailer and I added a silver and black SRT4 badge to the passenger side. Not sure I love that yet, still deciding.

Performance wise, I have mostly been ordering parts and getting the mod list organized. But I had to remove this heim joint motor mount and put in just the top torque solutions mount for now. That thing made so much noise, and this fixed it straight away!

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering wheel

Wood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Wheel Car Sky Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Sky Car Tire Vehicle

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, I'm a double devil with my bachelors and MBA. 😈

Thanks for the love all. I know these forums are pretty much dead but still wanted to capture the build for all us old folks.

Lots more to come! I broke my collarbone, so mods are piling up in the garage waiting for my shoulder to heal so I can get to work.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
That OEM steering wheel in mint condition seriously stopped my heart for a good 2-3 seconds. I regret selling my spare 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That OEM steering wheel in mint condition seriously stopped my heart for a good 2-3 seconds. I regret selling my spare 10 years ago.
Unfortunately it's not perfect, if you look close. There is a line from the leather cover which has kind of ruined the finish. It does have that new feel though. But I wouldn't have replaced it if it was truly mint. I may still try to find a mint one and use that later on.

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got some progress done on the car!

Over the past few months I've decided to slightly descope my mod plans with the car and get it a bit more sane. So I've ended up selling a lot of the big power adders and will likely be going stage 2 w/ toys for the short term and jumping to stage 3 at some point when I get bored.

But last week my buddy Paul was able to get a lot of the maintenance and tough stuff out of the way for me! I call it 'project replace everything rubber' because even though the car only had 15k miles, it's still almost 20 years old. This included front and rear main seals, timing kit, all the engine mounts, and the full MPX silicone hose kit. Also went ahead and put in the ACT XTSS clutch with AGP forged shift fork, pivot ball, and billet shift selector. And topped off with the MPX side exit exhaust and 3" O2 housing.

Car feels and drives so much better and gained a ton of power, primarily from the exhaust swap. The clutch isn't that bad at all, barely stiffer than stock, so should be perfect for my needs. Up next is all of the suspension work when I can find time to get through that.

Bicycle part Font Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Wood

Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive air manifold

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Yellow

Automotive tire Body jewelry Jewellery Wood Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Rim Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Motor vehicle

Wood Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used Torque Solution mounts for the 2 dogbones and the transmission mount. I bought a new oem middle mount, didn’t want to go hard there. It rides a little rougher but seems liveable.

Yesterday I also installed some trunk carpet I picked up locally.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: snobrdrdan2

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basically finished the rest of the project for this phase! My buddy Paul hooked me up again by doing most of the work since it was taking me too long to get to it.

TCE Wilwood bbk, fresh brakes in rear, complete suspension overhaul front to back, kw v3 coils w/ gc camber plates, mopar stage 2 w toys, cxracing intercooler, pwerks strut braces, and so much more!

I need to raise the front a bit and get it aligned but this is about it for now. More pics to come after I get it cleaned up at some point!

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Gas Font
Gas Electrical supply Audio equipment Metal Fashion accessory

Motor vehicle Automotive design Packing materials Gas Auto part

Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Looks good. I was about to ask if those were original BFGs in the earlier pics, then noticed you had Proxies in the later pics

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks good. I was about to ask if those were original BFGs in the earlier pics, then noticed you had Proxies in the later pics
Yup they are 2003 spec BFGs. Sold them to a friend locally. R888r on the new wheels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts