Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up ab 04 Neon SRT4 yesterday and need some advice. Has a cylinder number 4 misfire and the previous owner said the plug is striped so a socket can't grab it. Is there a tool I can buy to get that out before having someone pull the head.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Picked up ab 04 Neon SRT4 yesterday and need some advice. Has a cylinder number 4 misfire and the previous owner said the plug is striped so a socket can't grab it. Is there a tool I can buy to get that out before having someone pull the head.
damn i have never heard of that happening. The plug should never be so tight that it would need that much force to remove it that it could even have a chance to strip... i wonder if it cross-threaded when it was put in and someone just cranked down on it...

you're going to need something like this...
https://store.snapon.com/Twist-Deep-inches-mm-Set-Socket-SAE-Metric-Impact-Twist-Deep-13pc-3-8-to-3-4-10-mm-to-19-mm--P642001.aspx

or even maybe this if it's deep enough...
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Self-Adjusting-Universal-Self-Adjusts-Application/dp/B00008K2TF[/ame]

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Pour some ATF down the spark plug and let it sit a day or two. Hopefully that tool gump mentioned will grab it. If the threads are messed up this isn’t the place to heilicoil it to fix it. You’ll definitely need to pull and most likely replace the head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to autozone and found these, haven't tried it yet because I'm at work.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-w38920-W38920-Extractor/dp/B0198E097C[/ame]

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i've had good luck with the ATF trick.. heat cycled motor too.
also i took a spark plug socket and "sharpened" thinned down the outside to a 45 degree point (if you get my drift) on a bench grinder.. pounded it in with a sledge -- giving it just enough extra bite to get the plug out.

Pour some ATF down the spark plug and let it sit a day or two. Hopefully that tool gump mentioned will grab it. If the threads are messed up this isn’t the place to heilicoil it to fix it. You’ll definitely need to pull and most likely replace the head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've had good luck with the ATF trick.. heat cycled motor too.
also i took a spark plug socket and "sharpened" thinned down the outside to a 45 degree point (if you get my drift) on a bench grinder.. pounded it in with a sledge -- giving it just enough extra bite to get the plug out.
I was able to get it out with the kit I bought, now just need to fond some performance parts. Would like to buy the new diablosport T2 platinum if someone has one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good. Now apply some anti-seize to the new plugs.
And the torque them to TQ to 18nM only!
I'll do that, and just a quick question. Is the parts classified section on here actually have anything, doesn't seem like to many people are on here. Trying to find a used Diablosport Trinity 2 platinum but not having any luck.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
The classified section has been about as dead as the rest of the forums, which is to say there hasn't been much of anything for sale if you're looking to buy. If you want to sell, there's probably some lurkers on the forums that don't post but it won't get a lot of traffic.

I've heard there's some Facebook and other social media groups that have an active buyer/seller posts but I don't do much conventional social media.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah definitely try the Facebook sales groups. I've seen stuff posted on there daily and seem like good parts being sold still.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts