Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yea its eery.
My friend has a Blue WRX, and my other friend is getting a black SRT-4 :)

They're not THAT similar...just the headlights, and small front fascia similarities.
IMO the HOODSCOOP on the subie definitely looks more functional...

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The scoop on the rex is much bigger, BUT it ONLY feeds air to the intercooler, whereas the SRT channels the air to the turbine and can easily be made into a ram air system by cutting a hole in your hood and airbox!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
drizze99 said:
The scoop on the rex is much bigger, BUT it ONLY feeds air to the intercooler, whereas the SRT channels the air to the turbine and can easily be made into a ram air system by cutting a hole in your hood and airbox!!
I wouldnt quite call it "ram air".
Yea it blows air on the turbo, and the aribox (with cutting the hood)...but it doesnt look like it can suck in half as much as the subie.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SRT Vs WRX

I think the SRT is much, much more sexy, muscular and Fasssst looking than that WRX. It's friggin' bug-eyed for cryin' out loud!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quark said:
drizze99 said:
I wouldnt quite call it "ram air".
Yea it blows air on the turbo, and the aribox (with cutting the hood)...but it doesnt look like it can suck in half as much as the subie.
ahh...what would you call it then?

Sure the scoop is bigger cause the cooler on the rex is really small. It needs all the air it can get!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very true, the IC on the WRX is tiny, ecpecially when you compare it to the SRT4s beautifal FMIC.
But it does look like it should get alot of air (of course the FMIC is always better).
I think the neon would look crapy with a larger hoodscoop anyway.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quark said:
Very true, the IC on the WRX is tiny, ecpecially when you compare it to the SRT4s beautifal FMIC.
But it does look like it should get alot of air (of course the FMIC is always better).
I think the neon would look crapy with a larger hoodscoop anyway.
A FMIC is not always better. There is more lag and they are of course easier to damage.

JC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "ram air" seem impossible on a forced induction car? You can't force air into a turbocharger any faster than it's sucking it in, so there's not much point...

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The scoup on the WRX is wide, but if you look under the hood it has a smaller opening. What the guys do is cut the opening up so you noe have air hitting the turbo also.

As for the SRT4, the scoup has two openings, about 3"x5" which directs cool air to the turbo. There are then two other smaller holes about 2x1 that direct air to the intake manifold. T

There is also a channel in the hood that terminates over the intake. WHen you install a cone type filter, you can cut a hole in it and get nice cold ram air.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
RFMan said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "ram air" seem impossible on a forced induction car? You can't force air into a turbocharger any faster than it's sucking it in, so there's not much point...
Its more of a terminology indicating that air is forced and directed to a certain area. My supra has Ram air ducts which direct air into the rear rotors.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
so can anyone post a picture that works? :lol:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Hey Exhaust Depot ("E.D." for short cause I'm sure your going to be referred to alot), could you do me a favor and see how well this ram air system works.... I was thinking if you could get an air compressor and stick it in the scope, and feel how fast the air is coming out of the ports relative to the air going in. I'm sure it must be functional to a good extent; they were very weight concious, and that hood looks heavy (correct me if i'm wrong).

The design over the intake is smart too, circulating fresh air pretty well around that channel over the intake. I would say if you do add in a cone, i would recommend cutting a whole the size of the cone in the channel, and actually have the cone mounted far up enough to stick in the whole. All the air going through there would be used in the intake only. That, in my opinion, would be an ideal cool air system for this car. Any other effecient ideas, those them around!

Kinda long winded, but hopefully it'll get some ideas cirulating around, plus I had to add my $0.02!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've never understood why you would use a cold air intake on a turbo car. Doesn't the turbo just heat the air back up? What am I missing here?

JC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
red of the sun
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing