Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I'm asking is today I was getting my car washed and towards the end of the wash my oil light came on. The last time that happened was on my dsm and I didn't shut the car off right away and lost all oil, and motor done. So I shut the motor off looked under car no oil, checked oil level just fine. So only thing is the sending unit. Does anyone know were it's at?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im not sure where the sending unit is, but the light may also be on because of low pressure. Just something you may want to check before you run it too much longer.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
N20_srt said:
The reason I'm asking is today I was getting my car washed and towards the end of the wash my oil light came on. The last time that happened was on my dsm and I didn't shut the car off right away and lost all oil, and motor done. So I shut the motor off looked under car no oil, checked oil level just fine. So only thing is the sending unit. Does anyone know were it's at?
The oil light only comes on due to a drop in oil pressure.

The oil pressure sending unit is on the back side of the block... drivers side, with below the turbo manifold.

Need I mention that it is a PITA to change/ service.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
N20_srt said:
The sending unit is located on the exhaust side of the block under the turbo and closest to the driver side.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If your oil level is good and everything else seems ok, try unhooking your battery cable for few minutes hook it back up and start the car if it stays off all should be well. Be carefull though hopefully your oil pump isnt already going bad. If it is under warrany still no problem I hope.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys I reset the ecu and the light stays off now. I'm thinking about investing in an oil pressure guage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so then wouldn't the light keep coming on if it was the oil pump not making enough pressure?

·
Banned
488 Posts
N20_srt said:
so then wouldn't the light keep coming on if it was the oil pump not making enough pressure?
yes, your right it will if the oil pressure keeps dropping then the light will come on. If if was just a one time thing and a mere freak accidental thing then resetting the PCM like he said above will do the trick just fine.

Also, did you check for any CEL's or did you just look for the oil psi light to come on...

If it comes back on see what code comes up...which im sure theres only 1 or 2 for oil pressure, but its worth a shot if it helps!!! :thumbsup:

BTW, make sure you get an electrical oil pressure gauge that comes WITH the sending unit! While your at it...most people don't do this, but I RECOMMEND IT AND SO DOES AUTOMETER as they put one of these gauges in an srt-4 before......BUY THERE HOSE RELOCATION KIT!!! It takes the sending unit OFF the block so vibrations dont f*ck it up, and it moves it to a better place...such as zip tieing it to the firewall which I have done with my OIL and FUEL pressure sending units...

Autometer Ultra Lite Gauge: http://store.summitracing.com/ Part # ATM-4353 (copy and paste that into search bar.

Autometer Ultra Lite Relocation Hose Kit: http://store.summitracing.com/ Part # ATM-3227

any questions let me know of PM me about this!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
cool thank's for the link I am going to order tomarrow. Also when this happened I just saw the red oil light come on at idle and instantly turned the car off. Then turned car back on and light was gone. There never was a CEL thrown. Glitch Maybe...hopefully. I have been driving and no light so I think it's ok. :dunno

·
Premium Member
50,398 Posts
i just had this happen to me. i just started my motor and the oil light stayed on. so i turn the car off and ckecked for cel codes and 0522 came up...........oil pressure sending unit.....i reset the pcm by pulling out the fuse. i checked the oil level and it was fine. just changed it 2 weeks ago. the oil light was gone now. started it up and it came on again...........now i undo the battery and let it set for about 5 minutes. start it back up and its fine. i had to drive back home, about 200+ miles. i babyed it the whole way home. it was just fine. the engine idle was a lil off...........

·
Premium Member
50,398 Posts
i just went over the 35k mark..................

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
mole' said:
i just went over the 35k mark..................
so was it just the sender or pump

·
Premium Member
50,398 Posts
some good info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts