Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please list all the vaccum lines that need to be capped before pressurizing the system?

Also if I have the AGP bov (same as Mopar BOV) what do I need to do so air doesn't leak from the vent ports? Do I route air directly to the surge valve?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Plug the black line going to the intake tube and the PCV valve to start with. THe pcv valve isnt supose to leak, but it does on mine.

As far as the BOV goes I didnt have a problem with it leaking, you put air pressure to the intake of the turbo , not the surge valve. Good luck!

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I understand that the air gets run thru the intake side on the compressor but I remember reading that people with the bov plates leak air thru the ports.

So all you did was cap the line going to the intake tube and pressurized the system and no air leaked thru your bov? You have the Mopar bov?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes I have a Mopar BOV, I would think that pressurizing the system would close the surge valve harder. The only place it may leak is between the plate and turbo housing if your gasket sucks.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright cool I'll give it a shot and hopefully the air won't blow out of the bov.Any other tips? Will a small electric air compressor do the job?

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the air started to blow out the bov at around 5psi. I couldn't get it higher than that. Air was also leaking out of my catch can.

What do I need to do so that it doesn't blow the air out there?

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
evo77 said:
Well the air started to blow out the bov at around 5psi. I couldn't get it higher than that. Air was also leaking out of my catch can.

What do I need to do so that it doesn't blow the air out there?
cap the PCV valve hose nipple on the intake manifold.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I meant the bov. How do I keep air from blowing out?

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
evo77 said:
I meant the bov. How do I keep air from blowing out?
you have the stock blow off valve? maybe try to pressurize the pink line somehow...

oh, evo...i was talking about the catch can leaking. and air escaping out the valve cover.

Most of the cars we test have the BOP. I think a few had the stock BOV and we saw leaks right around 5psi.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Lets not confuse Mopar BOV plate with stock diverter valve. Plain stock DV does NOT have to be blocked or sealed in any way. The Mopar plate, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Just based on looking at the system, if you have the Mopar BOV conversion then, yes, you'd need to supply pressure to the pink line to keep it from leaking during a pressure test. One way would be to energize the surge control solenoid.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
i need a leak test bad on my car. Im gonna go to napa and buy the parts, and to buy new clamps for the ic pipes. could i use a tire pump for the leak test? Its an electric one, and it has a gauge to read the psi.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
remax, I don't think folks have had luck with those pumps, they can't keep up volume-wise. Some folks have bought those $20 dollar air tanks from Wal-Mart and filled them at a gas station.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
cool im gonna pick one up today. Im sure my car is full of leaks. Like my head.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Hey, leaks beat the hell out of blowing from overpressure:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I also have the AGP EVM BOV on my car and I had leaking between the flange of the stock surge valve and the EVM plate. I had to take the surge valve off and straighten the flange. Other than that, you will not need to do anything special with the BOV to get it to hold pressure.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NIVO88T said:
you have the stock blow off valve? maybe try to pressurize the pink line somehow...

oh, evo...i was talking about the catch can leaking. and air escaping out the valve cover.

Most of the cars we test have the BOP. I think a few had the stock BOV and we saw leaks right around 5psi.
No I have the AGP bov aka Mopar BOV. Once I build up pressue to about 5psi it starts blowing air right out the side ports on the bov plate.

Wierd thing is I removed the line to the pcv valve on the valve cover and put my thumb on it to ghetto cap it and I wasn't able to get past 0 psi.

I think I may have fixed it though. The litte rubber O ring inside the plastic tube wasn't sitting right. I pushed it back into the metal housing piece at the top of the grooves where it screws into and screwed the plastic tube tight. I didn't have a chance to run the air thru the system again to see if it still leaks there but I'll try it soon.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makadoo said:
I also have the AGP EVM BOV on my car and I had leaking between the flange of the stock surge valve and the EVM plate. I had to take the surge valve off and straighten the flange. Other than that, you will not need to do anything special with the BOV to get it to hold pressure.
No I wasn't leaking there, air was leaking directly out of the vent hole.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
glhs837 said:
remax, I don't think folks have had luck with those pumps, they can't keep up volume-wise. Some folks have bought those $20 dollar air tanks from Wal-Mart and filled them at a gas station.
I was using a little electric tire compressor too. I don't know if it was strong enough or not or maybe it couldn't build pressure because of my leak thru the bov.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CSX321 said:
Just based on looking at the system, if you have the Mopar BOV conversion then, yes, you'd need to supply pressure to the pink line to keep it from leaking during a pressure test. One way would be to energize the surge control solenoid.
So I need to T another line into the surge valve too (pink line connection)?

When I build pressure to 20 psi will it not cause a strain the surge valve with that much pressure?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts