Dodge SRT Forum banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
That's an input shaft bearing, not an out put shaft bearing.

I just installed one a couple months ago. You have to remove the whole gearset from the case, then press out the old, press in the new. You can't do it wrong.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Service manual page 21 - 71

·
Registered
11 Posts
i recently got my hands on an 04 Stage 2 SRT 4 and i was wondering how in depth do i need to fix the trans issue, ( currently not driveable ) It fires up and runs smoothly but will not shift into 1,3 or 5, even when in N the car jumps and stalls as if its in gear. Would i be able to just do an internal replacement or should i pull the trans out in its entirety and check to see what all is going on in there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So i would be able to see if there was any kinda damage on the inside just fom pulling the gear set? thats my biggest question i'd like to try and keep the labor time for myself to a min and not have to pull everything needed to drop the entire trans if i dont have too... I have moderate exp working on cars but this is kinda out of my league so to speak.. But i think with the tips here and the videos i could manage... Just need to figure out where exactly to order all the parts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
From you just getting the car - start with the basics. Many of these things can be found in the How-To section, or searching. Check your crossover adjustment - which is found under the center console. Make sure bushings for the shifter as well as the shift linkage on top of the trans are there and in good health. Short of this - pulling the shift selector and making sure shift fork (tabs) are there, healthy - selector is there/intact (does not appear excessivly worn down). If prior didn't solve your problem then pulling the gear set to investigate clearance/thrust/wear issues is the next step which can be labor/cost intensive if you lack the tooling. Did the owner mention when the clutch/tob/fork was last replaced? These can help determine engagement/disengagement issues which exacerbate your current issue but may not be the root cause. Most people typically use a shift selector extender to band aid or repair the issue you are experiencing - AGP is a good vendor for this item.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I messaged you Ziggo but i think i figured out what the problem is looks like one of the shift forks has been sheered off... which brings me to my next question is it possible to find that piece inside the trans with out tearing the whole thing apart can i possibly find it just by taking out the gear set?

And with that if i just remove the gear set should i only replace the broken fork or should i look into doing much more? I know this car because it belonged to a buddy of mine and he was having a real bad issue with it popping out of thrid gear and grinding as it was trying to shift into 3rd... Any ideas/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Travis.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Pull the gearset out the side...there are videos online that show how to do this. It can be done in like a half hour and you don't have to remove the tranny. While you are in there you can fix the fork and also replace the 3/4 synchro to fix the popouts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had an 04 back in the day and I am currently looking at buying one with a slipping clutch and 3rd gear grind. How much was it for the parts to fix the 3rd gear grind? What other parts would you recommend changing while I am in there? What clutch would you recommend? I am not looking to make a lot of power. I will probably just end up fixing it and then selling it.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
You can fix the grind by buying a transmission cheaper than getting the parts sometimes. It depends on what parts need to be replaced. If you are lucky and it's just the synchro linings you can get them for a couple hundred bucks. If the synchro is gone then those are around 600 or so. If you need a third gear those are around 250. I would get a stronger 3/4 clip as well if you are in there. Who knows what else you might find in there. You can try a 1/3/5 extender and that might bandaid it for a while too.

If the car isn't modded, just get a stock clutch, if it is, then get an ACT or a Southbend that can hold the power.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Realtune is who I bought my stage 2 clutch from. There is also modern performance.

I've seen transmissions go for as low as 500 dollars, but the average is probably closer to a thousand.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Facebook is sadly the only place to find them.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
There was one for sale for 400 here with a 3rd gear grind. I actually thought about buying it and flipping it/ keeping as a spare.

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
I have a 2003 with a broken input shaft (looking for one), everything else in it was rebuilt OEM before the carbon rings, gear extenders and stuff. Then people wonder why I drive like an old man these days.;)
It's not because I am old..............................

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
I wonder what's in it. You can put together a pretty decent tranny for less, but what's in that^ one?

221 - 240 of 243 Posts