Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Premium Member, SRT of the Month
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of rebuilding my tranny and want to show everyone how it's done. I also media blasted, cryo treated, and powder coated everything. I'm pretty excited...subscribe and look forward to very detailed pictures and a very sexy semi-gloss black powder coated transmission case!

Update: Input shaft assembly tutorial completed on page 3
Update: 3/4 shift fork and shift extender tutorial completed on page 4

After many PM's requesting a complete part list on what is needed to fix 3rd gear grinds the CORRECT WAY I decided to post up a complete list and where you should source all parts from (these parts are for late 03+ lsd t850 transmission with needle bearings):

Updated 1/31/2013

Dealer:
2x - 05069052AA - Seal
1x - 05069049AA - Bearing
1x - J8134488 - Snap Ring
1x - 05013411AA - Bearing
1x - 05069168AA - Nut
1x - 05134147AA - Synchronizer 3/4
1x - 05134146AA - Third Gear
1x - 05134165AA - Needle Bearing 3rd
1x - 05134150AA - Needle Bearing 4th
1x - 05069158AA - Thrust Washer

Some of the dealer parts listed above are currently on national backorder. However, as of right now they can still be purchased from pwerks. So if anything is unavailable from the dealership please see if pwerks can get you the part.

PWerks:
1,3,5 Extender
Hardened 3/4 Synchro Clip
Carbon Synchro rings w/ upgraded shift springs (if they have the springs in stock, if not these aren't necessary)

Wikyd Performance:
TOB Fork
Brass Pivot Ball

Bitts:
3/4 Shift fork

Dealer or Parts Store:
Red anaerobic sealant

Any personal parts list questions feel free to PM me and I'll get you a custom parts list together. The above parts are everything you need to fix third gear correctly and not half-assed. If you have other gears that are having issues please message me either on here or on FB and I will help you with a parts list.

·
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok so here's an update on some parts that came in...everything is scheduled to be here by next weekend so I'll be able to give you all a step by step 99% tranny rebuild w/ pics (everything minus intermediate shaft). All I'm waiting on are the 3rd and 4th gear needle bearings, Pwerks Billet 3/4 shift fork and Pwerks shift extender.

Comparison of the stock input shaft next to PWerks Billet...

A closer look...

Custom notched 3/4 synchronizer from PT-Performance...

Custom notched 3rd gear from PT-Performance...

Custom notched 4th gear from PT-Performance...

Billet thrust washer and 3/4 synchro clip from PT-Performance...

Axle seals...

Sealed bearing, axle seal/differential shim, and snap ring to hold sealed bearing to input shaft...

Third gear needle bearing...

Fourth gear needle bearing...

A little preview of what all this is going to get intalled into...yes...that's powder coating :eveilgrin...

PWerks Billet 3/4 shift fork...

PWerks 3rd gear shift extender...

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Cool beans....I know no one has replied....but it's gettin views!lol

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding my tranny. Got in on the group buy with pwerks for the billet shaft. Purchased the transmission upgrade kit from ptp with the notched gears and synchro and upgraded thrust washer and snap ring. Everything will be in by next weekend and I'll be taking detailed pics of the entire process. I also media blasted, cryo treated, and powder coated everything. I'm pretty excited...subscribe and look forward to very detailed pictures and a very sexy semi-gloss black powder coated transmission case!
EXACTLY what im in the process of doing

·
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks! I just wanna make a very detailed how-to to show everyone that it's not hard at all to do this stuff!

I just want everyone to know that you don't totally have to tear apart your entire transmission to do this. I only tore everything down because i powder coated everything. There is a very good video tutorial that shows you how to take the gearset out of the car with the transmission still installed.

·
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anyone local to me that has an hd video cam that would maybe be willing to record this process this weekend? You could potentially learn from it and in return if you have anything that needs installed on yur car I have a full service shop we can do it in. Just a thought...let me know!

I figure a picture tutorial with a video to go along with it would cover all the bases...I want to put together this how-to so that everyone that watches it can utilize it without any questions.

·
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha pics will be coming this weekend...trust me it looks amazing...not something I would do for free a lot of masking needed to be done it was one of the harder things that i've ever powder coated but it was worth it

·
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
about 8 hours in front of the media blast cabinet...pre-baked at 450 for 30 mins to draw out all contaminates that soaked into the pores of the metal...stripped and cleaned with acetone...few hours of masking...sprayed and baked

·
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Needle bearings arrived today...i'll be posting pics of those later...3/4 fork and shift extender shipped yesterday from PWerks in chicago...i'm in PA so they should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
344 Posts
very nice..this mans excited to see the finished product. ive always been amazed at how truly simple a manual transmission truly is once you boil it down. very glad to see some enthusiasm about making this how to..very considerate

1 - 20 of 248 Posts