Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I love the car, There is no new car that can touch it for under 20Grand. I noticed a couple things when I got under the car to change the oil yesterday. First I was assuming that when they claimed it had equal length driveshafts that the distance from the output of the trans to the left hub and right hub was equal. Both axle shafts appear to be of equal length but the passenger side has about a 10" jackshaft in between the axleshaft and the trans. This setup appears to work OK, but I just had a different setup pictured in my head. That being said I still really really wish it had a Limited slip, I'm so sick of one wheel peel. Also while underneath I noticed both the front and rear sway bars are totally rust covered, I know they were trying to save money everywhere to get the most hp per dollar, But I think its pretty bad they couldn't spare a couple bucks to have them coated. All in all I'm very happy with the car. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Welcome Glad to see ya made a great choice of car!!! :D

Thats funny my swaybars are black :?

Oh ya and I've been able to leave some two tire burnouts, just call discount tire and they'll let you know about the show :wink:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
mine are rusted two. who cares black srts look the best but you have to wash them twice a week. i keep the back very clean because thats what hondas are looking at. I am a hater.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Rice-a-roni said:
mine are rusted two. who cares black srts look the best but you have to wash them twice a week. i keep the back very clean because thats what hondas are looking at. I am a hater.
Domestic ricer maybe?

-faast

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
1 wheel burnout's suck, wait for the 04's with the LSD if you havent already bought.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
i would just like to say that even though it seams i hate certain cars i dont i love all fast cars. but mostly becase i own one wich is why people are so defensive about there car nothing wrong with pride of ownership. even if it is a subie. :D :wink:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
thats funyy ive yet to leave a one legger :roll:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ihaterice said:
First I was assuming that when they claimed it had equal length driveshafts that the distance from the output of the trans to the left hub and right hub was equal. Both axle shafts appear to be of equal length but the passenger side has about a 10" jackshaft in between the axleshaft and the trans. This setup appears to work OK, but I just had a different setup pictured in my head.
What on earth is wrong with using a jackshaft? The equal length driveshafts are designed to reduce torque steer, not to eliminate the need for an LSD. Putting the differential smack dab in the middle of the car would either require re-engineering the entire engine and transmission, or it would require using a poorly designed transmission. And you would still want an LSD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kyle said:
What on earth is wrong with using a jackshaft? The equal length driveshafts are designed to reduce torque steer, not to eliminate the need for an LSD. Putting the differential smack dab in the middle of the car would either require re-engineering the entire engine and transmission, or it would require using a poorly designed transmission. And you would still want an LSD.
He didn't say that anything was wrong with it. Just that is was not what he was expecting. Lighten up. :p

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Ihaterice said:
First let me say I love the car, There is no new car that can touch it for under 20Grand. I noticed a couple things when I got under the car to change the oil yesterday. First I was assuming that when they claimed it had equal length driveshafts that the distance from the output of the trans to the left hub and right hub was equal. Both axle shafts appear to be of equal length but the passenger side has about a 10" jackshaft in between the axleshaft and the trans. This setup appears to work OK, but I just had a different setup pictured in my head. That being said I still really really wish it had a Limited slip, I'm so sick of one wheel peel. Also while underneath I noticed both the front and rear sway bars are totally rust covered, I know they were trying to save money everywhere to get the most hp per dollar, But I think its pretty bad they couldn't spare a couple bucks to have them coated. All in all I'm very happy with the car. Just my 2 cents.
Did you noticed how many parts that was not paint coated started to rust?

I have the same problem also on the 03 Dodge truck. Unbelievable... :?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
How bout this one:

The front sway bar is rust color, but the rear one is painted gloss black.

They waz really confoozed with mine!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya know to be honest I just assumed they were one wheel peelers, because of how easy the tire or tires broke free. But its very possible that both tires are spinning, I just haven't verified it. Its been 9 yrs since I last drove a front driver consistantly. My last probably 10 cars have either been awd or rwd. Actually I've only had three front drivers before this two plymouth laser turbos and a honda crx si. and I never modified any of those cars. The lasers from what I recall had alot of torque steer and I don't recall anything about the weed whacker powered crx. Sorry im starting to ramble, any way thanks for the welcome and positive comments. Also to hemi the only other rusty stuff I noticed so far were the wheel hub assemblys. But that doesn't really bother me to much because they're cast pieces and seem pretty robust.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
the equal length half shafts are supposed to get rid of the one wheel peel. but you still want an lsd for turns.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
As long as the wheels are straight, and the surface is equal, and the tire pressure is even, etc. etc. etc, you will leave 2 nice black streacks behind you. Change any of those variables, however, and one tire will be liquid. Save money for a LSD. I know I am, I am getting tired of understeering on corners. :evil:

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think those are pretty good observations.

My Spirit R/T had a similar setup to the SRT4 (both in terms of power and tranny/drive shafts). It seemed to be luck of the draw whether I left 1 strip or two...on a long burnout it would start as two and turn to one a few feet down the way. But if I was moving at say 20mph and I revved and dumped, I would almost always get 2 the whole way.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I'm an LSD-n00b. That company that's creating an LSD for the SRT-4, Quaife right? How are they? Any others? What do you expect the product to run us? Around $1K right? That's not THAT bad, the problem is the installation. You people talk as if it's pulling teeth.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
quaife, IMO, is the best. gear driven, nit clutch driven like alot of others.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Khryz said:
I'm an LSD-n00b. That company that's creating an LSD for the SRT-4, Quaife right? How are they? Any others? What do you expect the product to run us? Around $1K right? That's not THAT bad, the problem is the installation. You people talk as if it's pulling teeth.

Comments?
Actually it is like pulling teeth. Before you even begin working on the transaxle, you must have specialized tools that are expensive. The transaxle has to be pulled, LSD installed properly, and reinstalled. So yea, its like pulling a big ole tooth, making it way better, and putting it back in.

Gonna let a reputable shop/mechanic put mine in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts