Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you need is a hole saw and some door seal from a junkyard.

Pics! Thanks RaptorRed

1. Remove the airbox lid and make sure your hole saw will fit in the circle PVO gave you on the underside of the airbox lid.

2. Drill the pilot hole in the center (but not the whole hole), then place a screw or something thru it and let the screw stick up about 1/4". Replace the airbox lid. Take some white out or something and paint the top of the screw, then close the hood.

3. Open the hood back up. You should have left a mark on the hood. This is your center for the hole in the hood.

4. Remove the airbox lid again, and drill the hole thru it. Use a razor or something to smooth the edges, then replace the air box lid.

5. Cover the engine bay with a blanket or a large piece of cardboard. This will prevent the metal shavings from the hood from getting into your engine bay.

6. Tape a 1/8" drill bit with duct tape, leaving only about 1/8" exposed at the top. This will allow you to drill into the hood without the bit pulling itself thru and damaging the top of the hood. Drill where your mark was placed.

7. Now, take your hole saw, and remove the pilot drill. Again, tape the drill bit and enlarge your pilot hole in the hood.

8. Place the pilot drill back into the hole cutter, but place it in backwords. The bottom of this bit will be your guide for the hole cutter, but you won't have to worry about cutting the top of your hood.

9. Place some masking tape around where your hole saw will cut, this will prevent you from chipping the paint.

10. Slowly, and very carefully, use the hole saw to cut into the hood. Let the saw do the work, and take your time. You have between 1/4" and 1" of clearence on the other side of the hole, but you do not want to damage the top of the hood.

11. After you've made the hole, take a metal file and file the edges, so you don't cut yourself.

12. Place the weatherstripping around the hole in the hood. You need about a 9" section, and it is a pain to get it around. I had a whole section of stripping from a door, so I was able to cut sections a couple of times to get the right length.

And thats it! You may want to keep some plastic wrap or something to seal the top of the airbox when you wash your car, or in heavy rain. Under normal circumstances, or in normal rain, the water shouldn't get to the filter. While this mod isn't going to increase your horsepower by a ton, it will reduce inlet depression. The junkyard gave me the stripping for free (i'm a regular), but it shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks. The whole ordeal only took about 45 mins.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thats awesome man...post some pictures...

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grunge, i'm not sure what you are asking for....

Drizz, It does seem a little louder, but it's only a little noticable. Most of the sucking sound comes from the stock inlet in the fender well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Grunge said:
Can you add a picture of the top of the hood showing the hole from that angle?
Ebb I think he is asking for a picture of what the hood looks like on the outside(painted side.)

I believe there are people who think this mod places some kind of hole in the top of the hood directly to the airbox. I think it just opens up so air can flow through the hood scoop on the top front of the hood into the airbox .True?

Is that a conical K&N type filter in there stock?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no mark, hole or anything on the top of the hood (as long as you follow these directions!!). You can't tell that the mod has been performed without lifting the hood. Also, that filter is stock, and I will probably be replacing it with a K&N shortly.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Im sure with a K&N you will hear the turbo spooling alot more. With my 3" turbo back system, you can acualy hear the turbo spooling down through the rear piping when you rev it up and let off the gas.

Hemi, I dont think water will really be an issue. The reason I say this is because my supra has a large vent right above the filter. I drove the car in all type of florida rainstorms with no problem at all. The srt will not injest anything near what the supra did. Also, the way the hood is designed, the water will not really travel towards the air intake side because it has to make a quick right turn. The water will be getting up on the turbo more than anything.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
srt4obcession said:
ebbtide, wont that void dodge's warranty?
Not unless the mod caused the damage i'm trying to have them repair.

·
Registered
32 Posts
this is true for any mod. they cannot void your warrenty unless they can prove that the part you modified directly cause the malfunction, i think it's part of the magnusson morris warrenty law(sp? on the whole dam thing)

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
just wondering what steps were taken to prevent "RUST"!? Around here "Corrosion never sleeps" I live 30 feet from the Ocean and the normal humidity is like 75%.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
spcforker said:
just wondering what steps were taken to prevent "RUST"!? Around here "Corrosion never sleeps" I live 30 feet from the Ocean and the normal humidity is like 75%.
When I did mine I used touch up paint around the edge of the cut in the hood.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
what size hole saw?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you know, I didn't mesure the saw. It was the one that I had that fit the prehole in the airbox lid.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
About this Discussion
69 Replies
37 Participants
Legoman
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing