Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was the question asks.... I dont really want to deal with that problem... are there ways aroud it? Or ways to make it safer? Would a map clamp do the job in making it safer for PTB?

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
PSI-Fi's Powerpaq solves it.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It gets rid of the PTB or it make its safe to have PTB? Im planning on getting the PP around X-mas time... but i dont want to wait that long to put stuff on :D

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
noTe said:
PSI-Fi's Powerpaq solves it.
No it mask's it! IE Provides appropriate fuel maps for the condition.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So by having a different map clamp will solve it till i get a PP right?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
gtup said:
So by having a different map clamp will solve it till i get a PP right?
Why would it? Part throttle boost is a potential problem because the car may be running too lean. Map clamps without fuel management lean out the car.

I would think you're just going to make things worse.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the only way to run the car safely with having a WGA and MBC to to have a PP or E manage?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What do your gauges say? At whatever boost level you're running, what is the A/F? How are your EGTs? Are you hearing any detonation? How much extra boost are you trying to run?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i havent done anything yet because im worried that i could hurt the car... but i have stage 1 and i was planning on running a 18-19 spike and have it hold 15-16 to redline..... how can you listen for detonation? what does it sound like? Sorry for all the questions...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hard to describe the souund, but if it's bad enough, you can hear it. Of course, you can have detonation that is doing damage and isn't audible.

The best thing you can do is wait until you have fuel management.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn... i was affraid you were going to say that... :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
sweet thread. like so many others.

Detoination is noticeable and your car has a knock sensor to combat this. Pinging. As a consequence your PCM goes into retard mode.

How is the PP fuel management? It has a map clamp built into it as well BTW.

Many guys run WGA with stage zero or 1 successfully.

Stage 1 eliminates PTB codes.

PP will allow tuning better with a WGA of course.

your PTB boost will be higher will a new WGA, that is obvious..

I doubt AF/s or EGTs are being tracked in this case.

Jesus..

Unless you're monitoring A/F EGT on a consistant basis when tuning, the answer is who knows if it's safe. I do know that many guys have run WGAs successfully without tuning and without blowing their motor. It's all a risk. You know you're running rich stock.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So guess the only way to tell is to get it dynoed.... and also with EGT guages... are those pretty acc.? or do you have to buy a wideband from AEM or something?

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
rich > lean (for safety)...is a given so I've done my "ghetto" test to see if the car is safely running (as in at least a tad rich). I just clean my exhaust tips, run the catch can, and watch my pipes turn black in 3 days...hence running rich. :frogtongu The EGTs are another story...all I can say I doubt 14psi @ redline and 16psi at midrange is something to fear since I'm not pushin her hard.

Get your car on a dyno to test it. As for PTB, just learn how to modulate the throttle better. I think in the last 3 weeks I actually had PTB causing me a problem (as in getting more than 10psi with my foot barely on the gas) about 2 times. Other than that it's easy to keep her within safe values. :)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"I think in the last 3 weeks I actually had PTB causing me a problem (as in getting more than 10psi with my foot barely on the gas) about 2 times. Other than that it's easy to keep her within safe values."

I dont think im sure of what your saying... Are you saying you have to watch what your doing when you accel? meaning make sure you dont make it go over 10 psi? also what are the safe values?

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
gtup said:
"I think in the last 3 weeks I actually had PTB causing me a problem (as in getting more than 10psi with my foot barely on the gas) about 2 times. Other than that it's easy to keep her within safe values."

I dont think im sure of what your saying... Are you saying you have to watch what your doing when you accel? meaning make sure you dont make it go over 10 psi? also what are the safe values?

nah meaning I know how far I can press the gas down. When I actually get safe levels of PTB I'll hit 5psi and hold or hit 8psi and fade to 5psi. No fluttering and she pulls smoothly. Once or twice recently I pushed the gas a tad too far and hit 15psi at like 40% gas and went whoops :stab: . That's what I mean. After a while you get used to it and know how far you can press the pedal down. Just like shifting, I don't always look at my RPMs...I know where I'm at and when I can shift.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And a powerpaq wont help make safe egt"s and a safe a/f? If not what kind of fuel mang. is there that will work and doesnt cost to much money...

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
A easyfix until you get the PP.

The make switches that run off of boost... grab one.. and set the switch to go active from 6psi-13psi.
Hook the switch up to a cold start injector (recomend a sabb cold start) and add your fuel to the injector off of the shadder vavle or from the fuel line.

Hook the extra injector in you intake plumming right b4 your TB.

So when you are at PTB... the injector will kick on supplying more fuel to the motor thus not burning up everything.

Very very simple fix... we have done this with our 80's turbo dodges for yrs.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow... thats way out of my league.... im still learning about this car...

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
ok real easy..

Go to NAPA tell them you want a psi switch that turns on at 6psi and off at 13psi..

Go to junk yard.. .find a 80's SABB... grab the cold start injector... or you can purchase this at NAPA.

hook power to the switch( and vaccumm sorce).. then to the injector...

and fuel line to the injector...

so now the injector turns on at the desired PSI.. which usually is when you are PTBing

and it adds fuel to the motor when you are lacking in it..

also when you boost above the highest setting for the psi switch.. it will trun off...
this will be when you are at WOT

1 - 20 of 21 Posts