Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04' so I don't have an open differential but I keep hearing about the Quaife differentail. Everyone has read the magazines saying it needs one but I guess I am just dumb when it comes to these because I don't know anything about them. I just know that it improves handling and powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions. The Questions: Is it worth 1,300 or 1,400 to buy one? What is the BFD about them? And am I missing something about what they do?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Seven1 said:
04's have the Quaife LSD, so now spend your 1300 on S2 :thumbsup:
Yeah i think he knows this, "I know i don't have an open differntal". read the post

·
Registered
362 Posts
tates1882 said:
Yeah i think he knows this, "I know i don't have an open differntal". read the post
But he didn't know he had the Quaife. *read the post*

·
Registered
632 Posts
regardless..... the question was is it worth it?

Well the first question to answer your question is.... are you going to race the car? If your answer is no.... then the answer is no.

If your answer is yes... then the next question is how fast do you wanna go?

Im sure there are plenty of SRT-4's that knock out some amazing times doing the one wheel peel....but with two wheels putting powe to the ground you can almost certainly get a better 60'.

And last but not least....this upgrade usually comes pretty soon after any serious power upgrade with FWD cars.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
SporkLover said:
regardless..... the question was is it worth it?

Well the first question to answer your question is.... are you going to race the car? If your answer is no.... then the answer is no.
I disagree, I have an 03 and having an LSD would be nice just to get out in traffic sometimes when exiting a parking lot.....

SporkLover said:
If your answer is yes... then the next question is how fast do you wanna go?

Im sure there are plenty of SRT-4's that knock out some amazing times doing the one wheel peel....but with two wheels putting powe to the ground you can almost certainly get a better 60'.

And last but not least....this upgrade usually comes pretty soon after any serious power upgrade with FWD cars
I agree here, but if drag racing is your only form of racing and you're looking to lower your 60', the $1300 would be better spent on a set of slicks (or drag radials) along with a traction bars as quaife LSD's do not adjust to slippage 'instantly'. Sure you MAY drop a tenth off your 60', but for $1300?

For road racing? Hands down, if you don't have one... well you should know better. :lol:

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I'm one of the elite few with the Quaife installed, close to a year now. It's worth it in every way, especially in the rain and during turn in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
the limited slip diff provides power to both wheels. unlike an open diff which will give power to one wheel , the one with less resistence. This is usefull during hard excelleration, or coming out of a corner while under power.
I have an 04, so I don't have to worry about this, if I had an 03 I would deffently thing about getting one.
I guess the answer you are looking for, is YES, it's worth it

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
well see, you guys are forgetting one important thing.
lots of power and front wheel drive = differential pin shot out.
it happens to many front wheel drive cars. especially automatics that brake stand a lot, manuals that hard launch. when you have enough torque to spin the wheels...usually one wheel spins faster than the other causing great stress on your tranny. conditions like this shoot the diff pin out of its little housing. the limited slip helps lock that diff in place (kinda like the phantom grip but without the consequence of grinding your spider gears)
so in essence, it saves your tranny from blowing your diff pin out and of course help you accelerate out of corners with greater traction.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
GasInMyVeins said:
I have an 04' so I don't have an open differential but I keep hearing about the Quaife differentail. Everyone has read the magazines saying it needs one but I guess I am just dumb when it comes to these because I don't know anything about them. I just know that it improves handling and powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions. The Questions: Is it worth 1,300 or 1,400 to buy one? What is the BFD about them? And am I missing something about what they do?
The quaife is way worth it. When you are comming off the corners the inside tire has less weight on it so it is easy to smoke it (get wheel spin with an open differential).

The Quaife differential will take power from the wheel that is slipping and move it over to the wheel that has the most traction helping to move the car foward.

This will help in slippery conditions as well as high performance driving situations.

With the Quaife I was able to beat all of the WRX's in my class in autocross.

As starkie said you have to hold on the the wheel when the power blends over to the tire with the most grip at that moment.

I noticed higher cornering speeds too: Example with an open differential. If your inside front wheel is slipping it is not helping you corner as well putting more of the cornering work on the outside tire and over working it when driving near the limit.

With the Quaife that inside tire is not slipping as much and can help the outside tire with cornering, meanwhile the outside tire has more weight on it as well as grip and can handle the extra torque that has been moved over to it from the inside tire which yields a higher cornering speed.

Lets say you have stopped and your passengerside tire is on smooth ice but your driver side is on dry asphalt and you have an open differential. When you try to pull away that passengerside tire will spin and the driverside tire which is on dry asphalt will send all of it's power to the wheel that has no grip. So you end up not pulling away as well or not at all.

No the same situation with the Quaife differential. The tire that is on the smooth ice trys to spin but almost instantly the power is moved over to the wheel that has the most grip which is the driverside tire and the car moves away.

Now you have to watch out for way too much power will in a corner. You can spin both tires if you apply too much throttle. If both front tires are slipping you cannot steer as well causing a lot of understeer which is the car does not want to turn very well and wants to go straight even though you have the steering wheel turned a great deal.

Bottom line the Quaife rocks and the 2003 differential sucks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts