Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone please tell me...

when the car is up in the air and you spin one tire, the other tire is supposed to spin the same direction as the one you are spinning, right? and if the car has one tire in the air and you try to spin it, shouldnt it lock out after a small amount of rotation? i coulda swore it did that, but recently, when i have one side up, i spin it, and it never locks, it just keeps on spinning....might my diff be goign bad, or already gone?

i know it seems like a dumb question, but i just dont ever remember it doing this...i seem to remember it locking out.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok good. man, for some reason i really thought it was broken, cus i dont remember it spinning like that B4, and i just broke my axles as well (confirmed) so i thought mebbe the diff went bye bye too....yikes!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mikeheikesr said:
i could have swore that ive seen people say that the stock one is NOT a Quaife.

the stock one on an '03 is not. the '04 and '05 is.

BTW i am originally from SD. Rapid City. where 'bouts are you?

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
The Quaife is a torque biasing diff and that behavior is normal. As a side note, it requires some traction on both wheels to properly bias the torque. If you were to get caught on ice it won't work and one tire would start spinning. To correct that you can use the brakes slightly at the same time you're accelerating and it should provide enough resistance to get the Quaife to send power to both wheels.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
same reason if you break one axle, the car will not move at all <--been there done that :lol:

·
Registered
556 Posts
goto quaifeamerica.com for the best explanation on how it works.

i will try to explain as follows. the to power is transfered to the wheel that is spinning the least. if you have 1 wheel on the road and one wheel on ice the car will be able to get moving because the diff pits more torque to the wheel with the most traction. yes the wheel on the ice will still spin.

also in a tight turn the inside tire will usually spin. with the quaife it will still spin but power is transfered to the outside wheel that has more traction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts