Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and placed a deposit and all that good stuff months ago and I'm the first on the waiting list at my dealer and in a few weeks it should be here, but I'm beginning to wonder about something he told me...I asked him if he knew what the break in period on the srt-4 was and he said "there is no break in period"...and I'm like..."what, how can there be no break in period, that isn't possible!" and he said that the way they made the car or something....you don't need to break it in and you can push it as hard as you want right when you get in. Now...every video I've seen of the srt-4, they've been pushing the car as hard as they can, do you really think that they drove the 2 or 3 thousand miles to do that?? So my question is...is it really possible to not have to break in a car, like is this something new, or is he just crazy??

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would say that at least 99% of people never break in a new car. I worked at a dealership and people would take delivery and leave the lot and get right on the freeway less than 2 miles away!!! I don't even know if this even matters anymore. Most cars seem to be just fine to well over 100K. If I were you and you are planning to keep this car for a long, long time then I would break it in. I am sure you know the general procedure for breaking in a motor.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I know how to do it and all that, just wondeirng if it's really possible to not have to break in a car whatsoever without damaging the car somehow even if it's in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
HAHAHAH well, obviously he doesnt want you to break it in so you have to bring it back for repairs. you have to break in ANY engine. whether it is on the dyno or on the road it has to be done. (ok, it doesnt have to be, but it should). everything needs broken in. seals, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
The newer vehicles are built to much closer tolerances than the vehicles from say 15 years ago, so they may not require the amount of break in that the older ones did. Engine tolerances are better.

Personally, I will be breaking mine in the old way as much as possible.
:lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
my final outcome....
i think these dealers are playing the game, i think WE are all raising the MSRP on this bi***, the dealer is just waiting to see how many are going to go crazy for this car, and just raise the price, and roll in money...

think about it, they keep changing these dates, and saying in about 2 weeks...[/b]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, but if they try to raise the price (excluding any options that might be on the car) thats going to be screaming lawsuit. They have announced to the whole country the price of the car and its even posted on their website now...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I was told when I made the deposit to reserve, I can get the car for $19,995. I have this in writing and I assume they will abide by it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
telebofh said:
Yeah, but if they try to raise the price (excluding any options that might be on the car) thats going to be screaming lawsuit. They have announced to the whole country the price of the car and its even posted on their website now...
Uhh they can raise the price however much they want. If you don't have your deposit contract in writing saying that they can't raise the price, the dealer can raise it however much he wants. MSRP really means nothing, it's not set in stone, and the dealers don't have to abide by it if the demand is high enough. Anybody remember the PT Cruiser? When they first came out they were selling them for 8k over MSRP and people still bought them. The manufacturer itself, Dodge, can also charge whatever they want for it. Look at it this way, Ford manufactures Navigators for 25k, that's the cost to them. They could sell it for 30k and still make a nice profit, but with the market the way it is now, they can get away with having them base at 40k. They are making a 15k profit on everyone of those they sell, and that is not including profit from the options. :shock:

-5OH

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hey guys, he is right. According to Mobil1 (and I trust them,) there is no break-in period required for newer cars:

www.mobil1.com/why/myths.jsp

Now this is saying that there is no break-in required for engine internals. Newer engines have higher tolerence That's not to say that other parts of the car may benefit highly from some amount of break-in period (500 to 1000 miles.) Your brakes and clutch are probably two components on the car that would like a few miles to get to a good working fashion and taking it easy for the first 1000 miles will do nothing but improve the life of these components.

My 2 cents.... :)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
When they say "One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period."

I don't think they mean there is no break-period at all. I think they mean there is no break-in period with regular oil before you switch to Mobil 1. If you read further you will see this:

"Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor."

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
118 Posts
O i remember that damn PT times...
My mom was going to buy one, but when those prices raised up 10k above reg, we told the dealer to f :!: :!: :!: off....
a pt for 30,000 you must be kidding.
Well, Slow5OH, i should be going to the dealer soon to reserve mine, i was just a little skeptibal about them raising price, but now that i see that there is a STONE *contract* with 20,000, im going. Thnx~!

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
Grunge said:
When they say "One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period."

I don't think they mean there is no break-period at all. I think they mean there is no break-in period with regular oil before you switch to Mobil 1. If you read further you will see this:

"Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor."

Just my opinion...
i think you are right. all engines need some kind of break-in.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
See my new topic http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1700#1700

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
ebbtide
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing