Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this car since 05 and have been the only owner and it has done me well over the past 16 years. I've had the clutch replaced at 100k and thought we were out of the woodwork but now im getting p0031 and p0037 codes. Took it into firestone and they said they tested the o2 circuits and they read fine, so its most possibly the computer going bad, and the technician could not find the parts they needed anywhere.

I did my own search and I found some stock refurbished ecus online that vendor can match to out VIN, but it seems kind of sketchy to me. I'm not a 'car guy' by any means, so my research did not really lead me to much and I cant fix my car on my own either way. From my understanding is I would have to take the car to a dealership for them to match the computer to my vehicle either way? I also called a local dealership to see if they do work ona dodge 05 SRT4 and they said unfortunately they dont have the equipment to, and to try some other dealerships that are a little further out.

What are my options here? I have to get it smogged within a month, the car runs fine and everything it just wont pass smog... I'm thinking call more dealerships and ask and see but if im not able to get this issue fixed that way, im at a loss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99% sure ECUs can be changed by anyone with a J2534. DRB3s exist in the aftermarket but are spendy.

where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
im sorry you are kind of speaking a foreign language to me. What would my plan of attackbe? Buy an aftermarket ECU? get the VIN matched andtake to dealership to get it flashed or something?and what is a DRB3?

Im located in California.

I was going to call in to dealerships today or go talk to some. The local one i called yesterday first said they could not do work on it because they dont have the computer and to try others..

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I've had this car since 05 and have been the only owner and it has done me well over the past 16 years. I've had the clutch replaced at 100k and thought we were out of the woodwork but now im getting p0031 and p0037 codes. Took it into firestone and they said they tested the o2 circuits and they read fine, so its most possibly the computer going bad, and the technician could not find the parts they needed anywhere.

I did my own search and I found some stock refurbished ecus online that vendor can match to out VIN, but it seems kind of sketchy to me. I'm not a 'car guy' by any means, so my research did not really lead me to much and I cant fix my car on my own either way. From my understanding is I would have to take the car to a dealership for them to match the computer to my vehicle either way? I also called a local dealership to see if they do work ona dodge 05 SRT4 and they said unfortunately they dont have the equipment to, and to try some other dealerships that are a little further out.

What are my options here? I have to get it smogged within a month, the car runs fine and everything it just wont pass smog... I'm thinking call more dealerships and ask and see but if im not able to get this issue fixed that way, im at a loss.
P0031-O2 SENSOR 1/1 HEATER CIRCUIT LOW
P0037-O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CIRCUIT LOW

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why do these codes point to a bad PCM?

Just because Firestone says so?
How did they "test the O2 circuits"?
Did they test both of the O2 Sensors?
Or did they just examine them them for damage/poor connections etc?

If it were me, I'd at least get a second opinion.
Even if it meant going to the dealer.
They have the tools and the knowledge hopefully.

As for the SMOG test in California which is due this month,
you could file a NON-OP to get more time to properly solve this problem.

Figure it out, keep the car.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
PS If they are Bosch O2 sensors, then that may be your problem...
There seems to be a consensus on this forum that ONLY OEM O2 Sensors work on these cars.
And that Bosch O2 Sensors are a known problem.
Did somebody change your O2 Sensors?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
im sorry you are kind of speaking a foreign language to me. What would my plan of attackbe? Buy an aftermarket ECU? get the VIN matched andtake to dealership to get it flashed or something?and what is a DRB3?

Im located in California.

I was going to call in to dealerships today or go talk to some. The local one i called yesterday first said they could not do work on it because they dont have the computer and to try others..
Well your options are

1. Troubleshoot the problem yourself, you tube can show you how. 02 sensor heater circuits are not hard to figure out. 02 sensors are 4 wires, heater +12v, ground, 02 signal, and 02 signal ground. they all go to C2. see the attached diagram.

2. If it really is the PCM, go grab one out of a junker and have the vin programmed. Any shop that has a J2534 pass through or a DRB 3 can do the vin program for you.

if you were near new york i know a guy. lol. but, no love there.

·
Registered
Original Owner '05 SRT-4 S2 Toys
278 Posts
I feel your pain about dealerships not wanting to work on a 2005. I've heard that before and have driven from Indiana to a dealership in Missouri twice to have my SRT worked on since I couldn't find any dealerships in the Indianapolis area willing to service my vehicle. If the trouble is indeed a failing PCM, you can find used ones (I still have my stock one but have never attempted to sell it). Then all you would need is for a dealership to flash your VIN onto the PCM. And I always stick to Mopar parts- pretty much all I have read about aftermarket parts is how they aren't as good.

·
Super Moderator
16,769 Posts
You are probably better off NOT having the dealership work on it. On my pickup, I'm like "whatever" if they mess something up, I can always trade in on something else later, probably with another dealer. But on this car... I just don't trust them. And I'm never getting rid of this car.

Last year on the 2002 Neon I rebuilt and sold, I had to remove the rear bumper cover. It was SUCH a pain in the butt to get the two nuts off the way upper bolts that come out of the body on either side. As I was doing it, I remembered that I had the dealership repaint my bumper when the car only had like 10k mile son it, after a minor scrape. Got under my SRT, lo and behold the dealership just broke them off and never replaced them... even though that's like 15 years ago, I was REALLY pissed off. That dealership doesn't even exist anymore, it was hit by the big Dodge purge a few years back. No love lost there.

Most of your ASE certified so-called "experts" are nothing more than parts replaces, that's it, that's all. They read a computer and they just keep replacing parts till the problem goes away, and they charge the customer for every part they replace, and the work done, whether the vehicle needed it or not. Half of them wouldn't be able to look at a spark plug and tell you what the condition of the tip means, which is really sad. This isn't to bag on the good ones, there are some out there, and there are some on our forums who get pretty pissy with me for this opinion, but my description is 100% spot on for a good number of them.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You are probably better off NOT having the dealership work on it. On my pickup, I'm like "whatever" if they mess something up, I can always trade in on something else later, probably with another dealer. But on this car... I just don't trust them. And I'm never getting rid of this car.

Last year on the 2002 Neon I rebuilt and sold, I had to remove the rear bumper cover. It was SUCH a pain in the butt to get the two nuts off the way upper bolts that come out of the body on either side. As I was doing it, I remembered that I had the dealership repaint my bumper when the car only had like 10k mile son it, after a minor scrape. Got under my SRT, lo and behold the dealership just broke them off and never replaced them... even though that's like 15 years ago, I was REALLY pissed off. That dealership doesn't even exist anymore, it was hit by the big Dodge purge a few years back. No love lost there.

Most of your ASE certified so-called "experts" are nothing more than parts replaces, that's it, that's all. They read a computer and they just keep replacing parts till the problem goes away, and they charge the customer for every part they replace, and the work done, whether the vehicle needed it or not. Half of them wouldn't be able to look at a spark plug and tell you what the condition of the tip means, which is really sad. This isn't to bag on the good ones, there are some out there, and there are some on our forums who get pretty pissy with me for this opinion, but my description is 100% spot on for a good number of them.
FACTS man. FACTS! My dad had my car in 07 while i was deployed took it to a dealership and they diagnosed a bad coil... changed it and the problem remained, they connected a scan tool to the computer and immediately called him and said they werent allowed to work on it since the ECU programming was modified. lol.

i found a broken wire in the cam sensor connector housing.. shes ran like a top ever since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I'm currently dealing with the same issue more or less...had my SRT4 for 6 years, passed smog and registered every year until this year...I guess the DMV in my state of Nevada upgraded their computer software to be able to be notified when you smog your car if you have any OBD monitors disabled.

I never knew stage 1,2,3 computers came with OBD monitors permanently disabled from Mopar (which in my opinion is pretty stupid)...and I never knew my car had a stage 1 computer until I got my car smogged then wasn't able to register it. I had to then go to a special DMV Emissions Lab for them to tell me my Emissions Monitors were disabled and had to fix that.

So I bought a used PCM programmed to my VIN, and everything was fine for about 50 miles (I was just waiting for the EVAP monitor to complete so I could take my car back to the Emissions Lab and finally be able to register it)...then the infamous p0031/p0037 codes popped up...the codes wouldn't even clear with my scanner, right as I turned the key on the codes came back. Tried removing battery cables, tried unplugging and plugging the PCM plugs back in, etc.

I had some new oem NTK O2 sensors laying around and changed them, and still no luck, codes are still there and won't clear. I've read that old PCMs from our cars can have this issue and only a replacement PCM is the answer...

But luckily for me, the seller whom I bought my used PCM is sending me another one so hopefully that one will not have this issue...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Yeah I'm currently dealing with the same issue more or less...had my SRT4 for 6 years, passed smog and registered every year until this year...I guess the DMV in my state of Nevada upgraded their computer software to be able to be notified when you smog your car if you have any OBD monitors disabled.

I never knew stage 1,2,3 computers came with OBD monitors permanently disabled from Mopar (which in my opinion is pretty stupid)...and I never knew my car had a stage 1 computer until I got my car smogged then wasn't able to register it. I had to then go to a special DMV Emissions Lab for them to tell me my Emissions Monitors were disabled and had to fix that.

So I bought a used PCM programmed to my VIN, and everything was fine for about 50 miles (I was just waiting for the EVAP monitor to complete so I could take my car back to the Emissions Lab and finally be able to register it)...then the infamous p0031/p0037 codes popped up...the codes wouldn't even clear with my scanner, right as I turned the key on the codes came back. Tried removing battery cables, tried unplugging and plugging the PCM plugs back in, etc.

I had some new oem NTK O2 sensors laying around and changed them, and still no luck, codes are still there and won't clear. I've read that old PCMs from our cars can have this issue and only a replacement PCM is the answer...

But luckily for me, the seller whom I bought my used PCM is sending me another one so hopefully that one will not have this issue...
The stage PCMs are not to be used on road cars. They do not meet emissions standards...lol.
So, what most people do is either find a place to "pass" you, or they stage 0 the car for the smog and restage the car after.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The stage PCMs are not to be used on road cars. They do not meet emissions standards...lol.
So, what most people do is either find a place to "pass" you, or they stage 0 the car for the smog and restage the car after.

Yes I am aware of that lol. The problem lies when someone sells the car to someone else not knowing what type of PCM they have... Here in Nevada they only do OBD2 smog testing, so Ive always passed smog because I never had a check engine light, BUT my emission monitors were off, which sent a notification to the DMV this year to flag my vehicle. The DMV told me my car has been flagged since 2012 from the previous owner but never got notified until this year, which sucks for me lol...

·
Super Moderator
16,769 Posts
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, I'm using the Aeroforce scangauge and it reads a whole bunch of stuff out of the OBDII port, and I'm stage 1.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, I'm using the Aeroforce scangauge and it reads a whole bunch of stuff out of the OBDII port, and I'm stage 1.

Yes, but are you getting a P0440 or P0441 with your Stage 1 PCM?

My car is but only with the original, unmolested, stock 2003, Stage 0 PCM installed.
I am almost 100% sure those codes will go away if I re-install my Stage 3 PCM.
So I am inclined to conclude that the Stage PCM's probably ignore or otherwise disable the EVAP OBD codes.
But the Stage PCM's can and do report most of the other codes.

If the Stage PCM's do disable the EVAP OBD codes, then that could explain why the are intended for off road use only and clearly marked as such.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Yes I am aware of that lol. The problem lies when someone sells the car to someone else not knowing what type of PCM they have... Here in Nevada they only do OBD2 smog testing, so Ive always passed smog because I never had a check engine light, BUT my emission monitors were off, which sent a notification to the DMV this year to flag my vehicle. The DMV told me my car has been flagged since 2012 from the previous owner but never got notified until this year, which sucks for me lol...
Find a stage 0 computer to bypass smog? move out of the county that requires it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Find a stage 0 computer to bypass smog? move out of the county that requires it?

Yes I got a used stage 0 (nonstaged) computer that has all obd2 monitors on, repassed smog, then got my car inspected at the DMV emissions lab for them to see my emission monitors active and not ”unsupported.”
They then took the hold off my plates and i was able to register the vehicle again

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Yes I got a used stage 0 (nonstaged) computer that has all obd2 monitors on, repassed smog, then got my car inspected at the DMV emissions lab for them to see my emission monitors active and not ”unsupported.”
They then took the hold off my plates and i was able to register the vehicle again
I'm sure that's a huge relief.
Didn't realize Nevada was so strict.
California is but that's expected.
Thanks for adding creedence to my hypothesis about the Stage PCM's not monitoring Evap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.