Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll have my liscense in roughly 6 more months and I've just found some work and I'm contemplating saving up for an Srt-4 as my father had one a few years back and I fell in love with it, also it will most likely be my first car but I wanted to do some research and get some opinions to make sure its worth it and anything I should look out for when buying or looking at one also I have a pretty decent knowledge of cars as I am in a school that has regular academics and trade skills so I can most likely do my own work. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would also probably be worth it to mention that I'm pretty tall at 6'4 and was wondering if i would fit in the car okay

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Would i allow one of my kids to have a SRT-4 as their first car.... no.
Have plenty of kids had them as their first cars.... yes.
Can a 6'4" person fit comfortably.... yes.

I don't mean for this post to offend you in any way, but you're still a kid, and kids are stupid. (I have 3 of them...) These cars can be a handful and if not properly respected can get you into a lot of trouble and/or danger very quickly. They do not have any of the modern safety features (traction control, skid control, etc.) which would be standard on any modern car that has the sort of power an srt-4 makes. Couple that with the terrible crash test ratings and the history of SO SO SO many people killing themselves in these cars, i just don't think its smart.

Now, of course, this is only my opinion and i realize opinions are like assholes. (everyone has one and no one wants to hear it.) My kids are not to the driving age yet, and i'm not having high hopes for my oldest being a very responsible driver as she just doesn't seem to care about anything.... UGH...

I do, however, applaud you on planning to work to earn the money to save up for something you want. Keep that mentality throughout life, it will serve you well.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
saving up for an Srt-4 as my father had one a few years back
Makes me feel old.
Not a good idea for a first car. Buuutttt.... If you are a rare responsible/smart kid then go for it. It will be very tough to find a clean one that doesn't need work. So it could turn into a huge headache for you if you don;t have the time or the money to wrench on it.

I say get a stickshift Honda/Toyota product as a first car. Don't have to worry about too much with those and still have some fun in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes me feel old.
Not a good idea for a first car. Buuutttt.... If you are a rare responsible/smart kid then go for it. It will be very tough to find a clean one that doesn't need work. So it could turn into a huge headache for you if you don;t have the time or the money to wrench on it.

I say get a stickshift Honda/Toyota product as a first car. Don't have to worry about too much with those and still have some fun in it.
I'd like to think I'm decently responsible, not alot of kids at my age already have their permit and a job and are determined to do something with themselves, also I have a fair amount of time and the know how to work on it as my dad is a gear head like me and my uncle is a mechanic with his own shop and I'm hoping to go into the same field, as far as finding a good one well... Theres a lot of them around here but only a few good ones but who knows what the market will look like by the time I'm ready to buy, as far as the power and being able to manage it without killing myself I think I'll do okay for the first little while, until I get used to the car because I take pride in my possessions and take of them so I'll most likely be scared of damaging it so I'll be taking it easy, I already know how to drive a 5 speed/manual as well I learned in my uncle's Cobalt SS so I have experience with a similar car.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah man go for it, if you think you can handle it, and your parents are cool with it. (Mostly cause you cant own a car till you are 18)...

Lotsa things could go wrong and lotsa things could go right. Helicopter Parents tend to try and control everything in their kids lives.. Cars are almost never safe, driving carries risk... but so does almost any activity.

These cars are much safer than my first one, and are not as "safe" as other makes and models.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
I feel as though i should add one more thing to my previous statement. I do not feel as though all the "modern" safety equipment is something that should be required for new drivers, nor do i feel like srt-4's are unsafe in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

I've made it clear to my children that their first cars will likely be a pile of shit that breaks down from time to time. That's actually how i would prefer it. I want them to have to help me fix it, so they can appreciate what it is they have. I'm not raising spoiled brats who get handed whatever they want. If they want something "better" or "nicer" they can work hard and buy it for themselves. That's why i was applauding the OP on his intentions of working hard to earn what he wants.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah man go for it, if you think you can handle it, and your parents are cool with it. (Mostly cause you cant own a car till you are 18)...

Lotsa things could go wrong and lotsa things could go right. Helicopter Parents tend to try and control everything in their kids lives.. Cars are almost never safe, driving carries risk... but so does almost any activity.

These cars are much safer than my first one, and are not as "safe" as other makes and models.

My mom told me if I can pay for it and take care of it including the most likely outrageous insurance I can have it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel as though i should add one more thing to my previous statement. I do not feel as though all the "modern" safety equipment is something that should be required for new drivers, nor do i feel like srt-4's are unsafe in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

I've made it clear to my children that their first cars will likely be a pile of shit that breaks down from time to time. That's actually how i would prefer it. I want them to have to help me fix it, so they can appreciate what it is they have. I'm not raising spoiled brats who get handed whatever they want. If they want something "better" or "nicer" they can work hard and buy it for themselves. That's why i was applauding the OP on his intentions of working hard to earn what he wants.
I know what it's like to drive around a pos car thats constantly breaking down, when I'm not in the Cobalt SS I'm usually in my grandfather's 95 Ford aspire and that thing is interesting with it's horrible alignment, no power steering, and it being stick shift all at the same time, also if anything happens to these cars while I'm driving they make me fix them, or atleast help so I really do appreciate what I have

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not most likely... Your insurance is going to be insane. Even as a 25 year old with a good driving record my insurance doubled in 2003 when i bought the SRT.

So how much do you think insurance would be ? Around 200 per month ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The insurance for my SRT4 is higher than most cars I own(ed). I'm assuming this is because statistically crash, theft, and speeding tickets are more frequent.

I'd say do it. Get what you want and enjoy, otherwise you'll hate life everytime you drive something you never wanted. This car is cheap and easy to work on IF you can start with a halfway decent example.

My first car was a 240z I managed to cram a turbocharged 5.0 V8 in. Bought that thing for $700 and did all the work myself. I learned a ton from that car. Put every penny I earned into it. Safety was the last thing on my mind back then. I'd do it all over again though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The insurance for my SRT4 is higher than most cars I own(ed). I'm assuming this is because statistically crash, theft, and speeding tickets are more frequent.

I'd say do it. Get what you want and enjoy, otherwise you'll hate life everytime you drive something you never wanted. This car is cheap and easy to work on IF you can start with a halfway decent example.

My first car was a 240z I managed to cram a turbocharged 5.0 V8 in. Bought that thing for $700 and did all the work myself. I learned a ton from that car. Put every penny I earned into it. Safety was the last thing on my mind back then. I'd do it all over again though.
This reminds me of my friend who chucked a turbocharged Sr 20 into a salvaged older sentra and fixed it up for his first car it was all pretty much from local junkyards and it only costed him around 700$ or so

Anyways as long as the insurance isint much over 250 I think I can manage/plan on getting an srt-4 for now but then again who knows what the market will look like it another few months

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Yeah if your parents put it under their name and put you as a driver it will be cheap. But if it is only under your name and its full covered. Expect to pay quite a bit. But location matters a ton. Just call up various insurance places with a SRT-4 VIN number and see how much it would cost with say a $1k deductible under just your name.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah if your parents put it under their name and put you as a driver it will be cheap. But if it is only under your name and its full covered. Expect to pay quite a bit. But location matters a ton. Just call up various insurance places with a SRT-4 VIN number and see how much it would cost with say a $1k deductible under just your name.
Hes 15. Cant get insurance yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts