Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Comeing from a person that has been drag racing for many years. You don't want water on the track, not even alittle bit. Some cars depend on every ounce of traction they can get alittle water could be the difference between winning and losing your car, or your life. I think the CO2 would be a much better chioce specialy if you want to race at a track.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I scavanged a washerbottle w/pump and two fan style windshield washer nozzels from the junkyard today. I'm not going to put it in right away, since its still 30 degrees around here, but I will be adding a IC sprayer to mine. I plan on using an off/pluse/run switch, and some windshield washer fluid with the coldest possible rating (as it will evaporate faster). This will also help keep the track dry, tho I don't plan on spraying while i'm running down the track. I'll post another how to when I do this mod (wait till spring :) )

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Alcohol and ice cubes work well. Plus it evaps faster if it hits the ground. I like the C02 idea though. How about a TPS switch, like on the Nitrous systems that are set at a specific RPM? Might be nice.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
if any of you are getting a water sprayer in the northeast, dont forget water freezes at 32 degrees! :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
i think a few people here need to do a bit more research. yes, intercooler sprayers will help prevent/remedy heatsoak, and can fix power loss in hot weather. water will work but not nearly as well as compressed co2. water just helps the ic sink the heat into the air, the same reason why your body sweats. you can never get COLDER than the ambient temp with water. you are just helping the ic cool down. even on hot days this will help. but with co2, because it decompresses out of the bottle, will be WAY BELOW ambient. this not only helps cool the ic MUCH cooler than water, but on the hottest days you can expect to perform as if it were colder out side. also note that most any drag strip, as a safety feature, WILL NOT let you run if they see water dripping from your car. i have seen tons of people disqualified for a small radiator drip or condensation from running their air conditioner while in line. if you use water, get something that sprays like a bottle of windex, not squirts like a water gun. this will prevent drips, and cool more effectively since smaller drops of water will evaporate faster. think fuel atomization...

anyway, that was just to clarify some things for the people asking questions. what i'm worried about is the people talking about Aquamist, and that do-it-yourself site. read people! those ARE NOT intercooler sprayers. those are WATER INJECTION systems. they take a 50/50 water/alcohol mix and spray it into the combustion chamber to cool charge air, reduce chamber temps before ignition, and reduce detonation. they are often used on turbo engines to allow for more boost just like a timing retard would. they add noticeable power and reliablility, but are difficult to install, tune, maintain, and prevent waterlocked engines. this is not adding a spray nozzle to your ic, this is like adding a second fuel system!

sorry...not trying to yell or flame...no one get mad. just adding my knowledge to the fray.

personally, whenever the srt comes to AL, i would love to make a co2 sprayer, and would love to hear about anyone's homemade sprayers and how well they work.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
If you are planning on building a water cooler, and are looking for a powerful, small, 12volt pump, go to a marine supply store and get a small submersible bilge pump.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
or if you dont have any marine supply stores around, go to a RV dealer or parts supplier. most RV dealers carry accessories, including a 12v water tank pump, the same one that has been used in pretty much every pop-up, 5th wheel, and full-size for the past decade.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.