Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Scottmech, I was hoping you could help me out with a few questions. I am looking at getting your downpipe w/ cat or possibly the interchangable downpipe. I go to the track frequently and I was wondering if getting the highflow cat would be sufficient or if I should opt for the available interchangable dp? I have to have a cat since I live in california so a straight race pipe will not work for me. I like the idea of changing between the two options but is the power significant enough to worry about it? Can I do this at the track with a jack, and how much of a pain is it to change out? Will it have a tendency to be more prone to leaks than getting the system w/ the highflow cat welded in? I hope you can answer these questions for me as it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance and I look forward to a response. Anyone else on the forums viewing this feel free to chime in as well with your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Well I can't say specifically to Scott’s downpipe, but I can say for DP’s in general. I own the atp DP and I started with the race pipe and it was just stupid load, with B&B exhaust. I then bought the cat for it and have never gone back to the race pipe. I think most people are seeing very little power gains from using a race pipe with the stock turbo. This is even more so with Scott’s DP since he uses a very nice cat.

If your not using the stock exhaust or a muffled exhaust you should keep in mind that most NHRA/NDRA tracks are requiring some type of muffling device on cars now.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Depends on what you want to do.

The interchangeable dp is more designed for the annual trip to the smog station. I would not reccomend it for removal of the cat every weekend at the track. Removal of the cat with slip joints is a little more effort than the v-band style joint. Most people buying them have the race pipe installed, then install the cat for emissons, but I didn't say that................

Any system with more joints will be more prone to leaking, I'd be lying if I didn't say otherwise. I've had my interchangeable pipe on for 4 months, with several 750 mile trips, several 12.2 quarter mile runs with no leakage issues. There has been only one reported leak, becuase I expanded the pipe too much. I immediatly made him a new one, and fixed the problem.

Since you live in CA, I'd reccomend the welded in cat. I don't think the hp difference will be that much you'll feel it on the street.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts