Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like all of you I'm very excited to buy a Dodge SRT-4. I've been very excited for awhile now, but something hit me heard recently. The truth of insurance costs. One of my good friends recently bought a 98' VW GTI V6, and his insurance payments are $400 a month. I'm 18 and my friend is 19 (which obviously affects insurance costs).

Now I plan on putting a downpayment of no less than $7,000 on the SRT-4 (preferably 12,000... but I'll at least do $7,000). Point being, my car payments should definitely be under $300 a month and possibly under $250. I earn from $1,100 to $1,500 a month and for now I have very few bills. This means that a $300 (or less) car payment will not be a problem to cover each month. But what about insurance payments?

If my friend's insurance payments are $400 a month, what would the insurance costs be for a 19 year old (how old I'll be when I get the car) who's buying a 2003/2004 TURBOed sports car? I did a little research and it looked as if I'd have to pay close to $800 a month for insurance. Isn't that absolutely rediculous? I will not be able to afford a $300 car payment if the insurance payment is $800 (along with my other bills, probably about $150 to $200 a month).

Do I have all my facts straight? Or does anyone know something I don't? Are there any other people on this board that plan on buying the SRT in the next year that are under 21? What are you doing about the insurance issues?

Anyone who can help with any bit of information... it's appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
There is an insurance thread going through here that has some figures.

http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=164

·
Registered
726 Posts
Comparing your insurance costs to anyone else on this board is pretty much a moot point. Your individual stats and situation are variables, your location is a variable, your insurance company is a variable, etc...

Best bet is to call your insurance company and ask them (or call around to other companies to get a better rate.) Another idea might be to try and latch on to the policy of one of your folks, if that's even a possibility. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I agree with you ohyeahwright. I just posted the link to give some direction.

The prices quoted do seem awfully high though. My 17yr old son is on our policy, and adding the SRT isn't going to be anywhere near that much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I got on my parents or even grandparents plan do you guys think the price would significantly decrease?

I know that there are SO many factors that cause insurance prices to change. But I posted this topic in hopes that there was someone with similar stats (age, sex, no tickets, etc) on these boards that I could compare with. Also I'm new here, so I'm bound to make a few mistakes.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
No mistake made....you can't find out until you ask :D

If you can get youself on parents/grandparents policy, I think you will save a ton of money. You also may save them a little bit if they only have 1 car on the policy now. Most of the companies offer a multi-car discount.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Now you guys know the pain the WRX owners feel. A lot of the younger WRX owners on their own policies are getting quotes of 600-700 a month. That's more than the damn car payment. It's only going to get worse for you guys when people start wrecking them, which is surely going to happen. So if your under the age of 25, and on your own plan, you better bend over because you WILL be taking it up the ass. Try to get on your parents coverage, I doubt you'd be able to get on your grandparents unless you lived with them.

-Faast

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got another question about insurance prices with the SRT-4. If you get a Stage 1 or stage 2 Mopar kit added to the SRT-4, would that increase the prices of insurance? I'm hoping that the price would stay the same, but I honestly don't know so that's why I'm asking you guys.

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
insurance companies will go by stock specs, unless you tell them what you've added, then they'll add those things too...the only good part in doing that is they will be covered. example: body kit, rims, etc, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's good to hear the prices won't raise, and obviously being an 18 yr old male I can't AFFORD the insurance prices to get any higher than they already are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Jome20
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing