Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE - Sep 8., 2008

Just spoke with Neil @ VEI Systems after a 4-month hiatus (his e-mail changed, I started medical school)... and got this thing rolling again. Apparently the design has been near finished for some time now, and had otherwise just been forgotten about. Come this Wednesday, the initial 'test' cluster will be coming my way to test for signals... and from there, we'll get this thing rolling, and finalized!

Dave
EDIT COMPLETE

I know that VEI Systems has done full dash replacement instrument clusters for other vehicles than the SRT-4. Is there any future for a full replacement dash in the near future for our car?

Just curious,
Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
Actually VEI does not have any ready-made clusters yet, but will do any custom cluster you want. I remember there was some discussion by another dealer (who apparently is no longer here) of doing an SRT4 cluster last year, but not sure what happened with that.

If you and others are interested, I can take it up with VEI or get you connected with them directly, but they'll need a cluster to evaluate first for a week or so. Anyone got a spare laying around?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was Glacial Graphics that talked about having VEI do a custom cluster for us. Jeff went missing, stole thousands of dollars, and is now on ~20+ members hit list. I'm definitely interested in a custom cluster, as long as it would dim with my dimmer switch (I don't want to have to continually push a little button to brighten/dim it). As for a spare cluster... umm, don't look at me. I need mine. There has to be one available from a wrecked SRT-4. Lord knows there are a TON of wrecked SRT-4s, especially as of late.

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, I know some of that. :eeeek: It's a shame that people get away with this crap.

I don't know which cluster has a pushbutton, but VEI gauges/clusters have a wire that goes to the headlights or park lights so dims when you switch on the lights. You can setup how bright it is with the lights off and on.

If anyone has a spare cluster or find a low-cost one floating around, let me know (or contact VEI directly), even if the gauges in them don't work. I think putting boost and AFR directly in the cluster (like they did for a Mustang) would be cool. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then what would we use the pod for? Perhaps AFR/Boost could be an upgraded option...

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
whites97 said:
Then what would we use the pod for?
There's always the 2 other secret gauges that VEI is working on. :eveilgrin

Jerod: I'll wait to see if others are interested and perhaps someone will have one to loan me.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vgauges said:
whites97 said:
Then what would we use the pod for?
There's always the 2 other secret gauges that VEI is working on. :eveilgrin

Jerod: I'll wait to see if others are interested and perhaps someone will have one to loan me.
Well, what secret gauge? I'm going to purchase the TechLogger and KR/IAT/Timing gauge as soon as it is released, unless you can offer me something comparable...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I verified that I'm not allowed to say but I can tell you that it is not timing or knock. At the beginning of this year VEI created and prototyped a dual gauge that has 2 separate functions (numerical no bargraph) in a single 2-1/16 gauge that they're trying to decide if to take to production. They were trying to decide what pairs of functions to put together in the gauges and there were so many combinations.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Depending on price, I would be interested in a customized VEI dash cluster

Derek

·
Registered
890 Posts
bump for any updated info

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think we need to make it a bit more formal to verify interest. If I purchased an SRT-4 instrument cluster for VEI to evaluate, it'd come out of my pocket, so I want to make sure that people really are interested. Usually people say they're interested, but when it comes time to actually purchase something, a lot back out. I know this can be done as VEI does this regularly.

Let's do this... anyone interested, please let me know (here on in a PM), and also let me know what functions you want in the cluster. We'll talk about specifc layout afterwards. Remember that you can keep your stock boost pod with a matching VEI gauge, or add in another pod as others have done, so you don't have to squeeze all functions into the cluster. Typical functions are...
* Speedo/odo
* Tach
* Coolant temp
* Voltmeter
* Fuel Level

Possible options...
* Oil pressure
* Oil temp
* Vacuum-boost
* AFR
* EGT
[ Any other gauge that VEI makes ]

Spread the word and let's see how much interest we come up with. There is no minimum, but more interest brings the price down.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also need a favor from someone... can one of you take a clear photo of the instrument cluster with a ruler running next to it, so we can get a good estimate of the size.
Thanks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want one... which is rather obvious, consider the fact that I started this thread. I would like it to have the same features as the stock instrument cluster. I want my boost gauge and AFR gauge seperate.

What is the estimated price? I know you say that it'll change depending upon how many purchase, but I'd still like to know a ballpark figure. This value will also increase/decrease the number of those interested. Price is the determining factor on these forums, if you haven't noticed yet... however there are a few of us that like quality.

And the stock cluster has silver rings around the gauges. I would want the cluster to appear completely black until turned on.

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's why I asked for a photo with rough dimensions.. so I can start getting a ballpark price for a basic configuration. So you do NOT want to retain the silver rings, right?

Also, let me know what color you'd be interested in... red or blue?

I got this photo of a Mustang conversion. This will be the same effect the SRT-4 cluster will have... ie: all blacked-out until the cluster turns on. (This one has more functions though, 7 in all).

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct, NO silver rings
I'd prefer it in blue
I'd truly just want the stock gauges, but all digital...

Here are a TON of pictures. Hopefully this will help!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well... the pictures are uploaded. What would the rough price be? And of course I want to retain all the other features of the instrument cluster; turn signals, brights, foglights, engine warning, air bag, check oil, etc...

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
I thought I had responded to this but perhaps never submitted it. I am waiting to hear back from VEI on this but a lot of people are out this week due to the holiday so I'll check back on Monday.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vgauges said:
I thought I had responded to this but perhaps never submitted it. I am waiting to hear back from VEI on this but a lot of people are out this week due to the holiday so I'll check back on Monday.
Glad to hear. Hopefully the pictures are descriptive enough.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts