Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just to let you all know you can make your own UDP install kit for under $25 bucks. This is a lot better that just baking your pulley and beating it on the crankshaft. Here is what you need.

Go to your local fastener shop and buy a 12mm X 1.75 X 1m full threaded rod. Total cost was $10.00 including the nuts & washers. You can cut the rod to about 6 inches or 150mm, but I cut the rod to 1 foot.

Go to the auto parts store; buy a cheap wheel bearing and some anti-siege compound.

Here are the steps...

1. Place UDP or stock pulley in the oven and bake at 300 deg or so for a while.

2. Put a small amount of anti-seize compound on the crankshaft. And I do mean a small amount.

3. Get the 12mm X 1.75 rod with the nut, washer and the bearing ready to go.

4. Place the pulley on the crank and then insert the threaded rod into the crankshaft where the pulley bolt would go. But do not run the rod all the way to the end.

5. Start to crank the bolt while holding the other end of the rod with a vise-grip or have a bolt welded to the end.

The bolt will be a 19mm, so I used a ratcheting box end wrench for this and a vise-grip on the rod to hold the rod and engine from turning over.

The pulley went on better than it did when I pulled it off. So I thought that I would share what I used to install the pulley since I couldn't find an installer for our 2.4L motor.

I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Thats a pretty good trick. i've never had issues getting the pully on or off, but this seems like it would work well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts