Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just installed the ATP UPP and HKS BOV, and let me tell you it was a chore. Anyways, the stuff is nicely made, so I'm happy. Now, never having a turbo before, I dont know is this is right? Is the BOV supposed to vent even after part throttle let offs? I mean im just cruising and let off the gas, and it hisses. Should I tighten it, or is this normal?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,026 Posts
its normal but.... i think you might want to adjust it a lil though cause they dont come set to your levels exactly so its up to you to make adjustments based on what you want it to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So by positive manifold pressure you mean boost correct? Cause when the gauge is reading vacuum, the would not be positive pressure, right? Cause if Im cruising and the gauge reads like -10, and I let of it still hisses. Im thinking the valve needs to be tightened. Thanks for the help everyone, Ill adjust it tommorow. It does sound bad ass though..... :twisted:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,026 Posts
we want vids! :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
generallee said:
So by positive manifold pressure you mean boost correct? Cause when the gauge is reading vacuum, the would not be positive pressure, right? Cause if Im cruising and the gauge reads like -10, and I let of it still hisses. Im thinking the valve needs to be tightened. Thanks for the help everyone, Ill adjust it tommorow. It does sound bad ass though..... :twisted:
As far as i know (and I'm not a know it all by any means) You don't have to have positive pressure in order for the Bov to release. Mine does the same thing. Anytime that a Vac signal is sent to the BOV in between shifts it will release. What type of BOV do you have??? Any other Mods??? I have a GReddy Type S and I have mine set at about 7-8 threads sticking out from the top. I was told as a general rule of thumb that as long as air is not excaping at idle and Under high boost when you shift that you don't hear a fluttering sound coming from the BOV it is ok. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I hate to give bad advice. Good Luck :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
generallee said:
Well I just installed the ATP UPP and HKS BOV, and let me tell you it was a chore. Anyways, the stuff is nicely made, so I'm happy. Now, never having a turbo before, I dont know is this is right? Is the BOV supposed to vent even after part throttle let offs? I mean im just cruising and let off the gas, and it hisses. Should I tighten it, or is this normal?
I have been thinking about purchasing the same mod. What mechanical experience do you have? And on a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being mild and 10 being a 12 pack of beer and I am sane again, of a chore was it to install?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
NoOneHome said:
generallee said:
Well I just installed the ATP UPP and HKS BOV, and let me tell you it was a chore. Anyways, the stuff is nicely made, so I'm happy. Now, never having a turbo before, I dont know is this is right? Is the BOV supposed to vent even after part throttle let offs? I mean im just cruising and let off the gas, and it hisses. Should I tighten it, or is this normal?
I have been thinking about purchasing the same mod. What mechanical experience do you have? And on a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being mild and 10 being a 12 pack of beer and I am sane again, of a chore was it to install?
About an 8 1/2. It was a really easy install now that several of us on this forum has installed BOV, we can help you. All you need is a jack, jackstand, some basic handtools and about 1 hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it wasnt that bad to install, just really TIGHT! I recommened taking the air box out so you can work from the top as well as the bottom. I had to trim the silicone couplers to get it to fit. For others who installed this with a HKS BOV, was it hitting your trans inspection cover? Mine is. The way I found to work the best was to trim the couplers down a little, then push the bottom one ALL the way on the pipe, so the pipe sticks out the end. The install the top with coupler. Then slide the bottom one off the pipe and on to the intercooler. Then put on all the clamps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
I did a similar thing for the install. I didn't trim the couplers, but they are way up there-- I could have trimmed them. I turned the BOV a bit so that it doesn't hit or touch anything.

Mine does the same thing when letting off on the throttle at cruising speed. I didn't adjust it at all yet. I think it sounds very cool. It doesn't leak at full vacuum or with any throttle, so I think it's okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,953 Posts
ok let me rephrase. Anytime the compressor wheel is accelerating and the throttle plate is closed. There may be vacuum realized on the gauge because the trubo is trying to feed the whole motor psi. When you close the throttle plate the area that is being compressed is much smaller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,093 Posts
Differential pressure. Thats what makes the BOV work.


The BOV vaccum hose is hooked up after the throttle, in the manifold area.
There is pressure sensed on the Bov vaccum fitting and inside of the BOV. So when you close the throttle, there is now a negative (or more negative) pressure acting on the champer inside the BOV, but you now still have a higher pressure inside the the actual BOV that causes the valve to open and vent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
so in other words, if a BOV works even with no pressure in the manifold or intake system, you could theoretically put a BOV on a N/A car and still get the noise? Kinda wondering if that's not what a couple of the kids around here have done.......heh

Brett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For Hector

Since you have installed the same BOV with your own fitting, how did you hook up the BOV. ATP sends you a one way check valve that you place on the old surge valve, then you connect the original pink vacuum line to the t-fitting in that, then the other side of the t goes to the BOV. IS this the best way? or is yours different? What would you recommend?


STOCK SURGE VALVE------[one way valve]-----\/------NEW BOV
:
:
:
ORIGINAL PINK VACUUM LINE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,093 Posts
You can leave the stock BOV hoses alone. All you need to do is take the hose off te BOV and hook it up after the throttle body, in the manifold area.



A BOV will not work on an NA. The differential pressure between one side of the throttle plate and the other side is not enough to over come the spring tention.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
ravencit
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing
Top