Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

First, I have the Kevin Warren billet input shaft with straight cut 1/2 gears. Damaged 2nd gear on the output shaft and the 1/2 synchro hub slider. If needed, you can contact MFactory directly and get individual piece replacements.

Second, due to not being able to find replacement retaining rings since they’re not manufactured anymore, I did the below research and found suitable replacements. I created an Excel file and dropped it on my Google Drive for anyone to use as they desire: SRT-4 transmission retaining rings.xlsx

I only did the output shaft minus the final retaining ring because that’s all I had to pull. J8134488 is the same for the input shaft first retaining ring as well though. The only retaining ring I was unable to find a suitable replacement for was the one that goes on the outer bearing 05013634AA, so if replacement is required would still likely require purchasing a new bearing that comes with it.

Tab titled “Output Shaft Retaining Rings” has the meat in it. Column A is the ring part number. Columns B-G are the dimensions all in imperial (thousands of an inch); all values except for the original that I measured are from spec sheets from the respective companies. Column H has notes and details for each row.

Each row has the specified retaining ring in it and its specs./details:
  • Cells highlighted blue are the original retaining rings I pulled and measured with a Veneer.
  • Cells highlighted green mean that aspect of the retaining ring is an exact replacement or will suffice for an exact replacement.
  • Cells highlighted light purple mean that aspect of the retaining ring is not ideal, but should work for replacement.
  • Cells highlighted red mean that aspect of the retaining ring is not suitable for replacement.
  • Allowable thrust (all in lbs.) is listed in column H for all retaining rings that listed this information.
  • For column H, if stated, that ring is a spiral design; if spiral is not stated, then it is a constant section design. A spiral design will inherently have a higher allowable thrust value due to having full contact with the groove edge.
For column A, cells highlighted dark orange are ones the company in question sent to me as free samples. I had to pay shipping for the Arconring 740R, but it was only 20 bucks and I got 3 of them. Rotorclip sent me the rings absolutely free (they paid for shipping), but they have “ST OIL” at the end of the part number so I’m not sure if they are suitable for install; waiting on reply. I got quantity 3 of each retaining ring and in each case, their measurements were verified with a Veneer and found to be within 0.001-0.002” of the manufacturer’s spec.

I test fit each retaining ring and they fit as expected; no issues. The spiral retaining rings weren’t bad to install; had to use two needle nose pliers to hold each end and spread it out to fit on the shaft. Getting them off was another story and you will likely end up having to damage (bend) the ring getting it out of the groove. Since replacements are available and are relatively cheap, no issue there.

For the Rotorclip samples, there are other rings they offer that have higher thrust load capability, so I obviously purchase them for permanent install if possible so long as they meet the dimension criteria (example MCG-38 vs. CG-150).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rotorclip got back with me. For their part number, the ST means the ring's material is carbon steel and the OIL simply means it has been oil dipped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts