Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure how an safc 2 works could somone please explain to me what this does i have a good idea on how to hook it up but if somone could show me some pics of install or point me in the right direction i would be very happy if someone could help and what kind pros and cons does it have ?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Basically, it interrupts and modifies sensor signals as they're on their way to the PCM. This way you can adjust fuel delivery. For example, let's say at 15 psi, 4000 rpm, and 100% throttle, sensor "A" sends a 4.7V signal to the PCM. The PCM interprets that signal and says give "X" fuel. With the SAFC you could change that voltage to 4.5 to trick the PCM into giving less ("Y") fuel. Why would you want to do this? Threshold tuning. The calibrations on the SRT-4 are conservative to promote extended engine life. By modifying the fuel curve, you can get more power at the possible expense of engine life. Case in point, Stage 2 tends to run very rich and some have seen nice gains (~20 hp) from leaning out the mixture some (most are using a "map clamp" which has *almost* the same effect as the SAFC with no frills - a simple adjustment knob limits the maximum voltage seen by the PCM). Notice it only limits the maximum voltage, so if you aren't near that voltage, the map clamp does nothing, whereas the SAFC can adjust that voltage at any range.
Disclaimer: if you don't have tuning experience, steer clear - this CAN and WILL cause engine damage/destruction if used improperly.
As for installing it, I haven't done one on the SRT-4, but rather on a RX-7 TII, and it was rather easy, follow instructions and ask others if you run into problems.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot you put it into perspective very well and i will if i can get some pics install it and i do understand lean is ok to lean is bad and rich is good but too rich is bad i understand the tuning concept its just ive never installed and i understand you take a risk at installing one but let me know if anyone has any pics or anymore information to offer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts