Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, having never done any kind of tuning before, I finally decide to learn how to use my SCT PRP (Advantage III) tuning software. I figured I start with something "simple", a rescale for my 1000cc injectors.

The engine/turbo/intake/exhaust is stock aside from a stage 2 WGA.

I modified the fuel mass to pulse width and pulse width to fuel mass tables using the Injector Dynamics supplied data. I aso entered the values for the voltage compensation. I didn't touch the returnless fuel system correction because the data supplied by ID looks pretty much the same as stock. This makes sense since I didn't make any changes to the 58psi static fuel system.

Then I saved the new calibration, loaded it on the X3, and flashed the PCM (man, this thing is slooooowww).

Once I was satisfied the flash was successful I started the car and it ran pretty bad, it had a pronounced lope and vacuum was only 12in. I let it idle for a minute to see if the PCM could straighten it out on its own. After 2-3 minutes it started to run smother and vac went up to 19, AFR was also right around 14.4-14.7 where it should be. LTFT was -7 which I thought wasn't that bad considering how bad it ran at first. Then I took it for a ride and at WOT AFR hit 13.0 and I got out of it before something bad happened.

My question is did I do something wrong? I bought the Id's because they come with what I thought was a very good injector characterization. Is the car supposed to run great straight out of the box or do I need to do some tweaking to the PW to mass tables based on my data logs? If I have to do some fine tuning I'm ok with that but I want to make sure I didn't miss something first.

Thanks for any input,
Steve

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, problem solved. It's a little embarrassing because I did something I yell at people all the time for doing lol. I didn't make sure the base engine/ignition/FI system was in good shape before I modified/tuned the car. Turns out I had a vacuum leak in cylinder #4. Replaced the Intake manifold gasket tonight and all is well. Car ran slightly rich at start up (12.7:1) but was smooth and AFR came into line within a minute and settled around 14.6. Took it for a rip and it ran nice and rich but pulled good and was nice and smooth with no hick ups or spikes. Now I just have to learn how to do some real tuning lol.

Moral of the story is to always check basic stuff first. Compression, spark plugs, wires, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, etc. Also, don't make fun of/be nasty to noobs who do stupid shit because it might end being you one day haha.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Ok, problem solved. It's a little embarrassing because I did something I yell at people all the time for doing lol. I didn't make sure the base engine/ignition/FI system was in good shape before I modified/tuned the car. Turns out I had a vacuum leak in cylinder #4. Replaced the Intake manifold gasket tonight and all is well. Car ran slightly rich at start up (12.7:1) but was smooth and AFR came into line within a minute and settled around 14.6. Took it for a rip and it ran nice and rich but pulled good and was nice and smooth with no hick ups or spikes. Now I just have to learn how to do some real tuning lol.

Moral of the story is to always check basic stuff first. Compression, spark plugs, wires, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, etc. Also, don't make fun of/be nasty to noobs who do stupid shit because it might end being you one day haha.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: This seems to occur to me on a daily basis. Its always the tune's problem when the overwhelming majority of the time its just an undiagnosed issue with the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts