Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding my vehicle which was rear-ended and forced into the vehicle in front of me (see my post on it all), I got some reassuring news. An insurance adjuster managed to look at the front end of my car today, and noted that the crash bumper had done what it was exactly designed to do. It took the full force of the frontal collision, and quite possibly saved my entire front end from becoming mush (intercooler, engine, trans, etc.). The ironic thing is the Wednesday before it happened (two days before), I was considering removing the front crash bumper for the larger AGP intercooler. By a sheer stroke of luck I didn't, and that saved the front end of my car. So just something to think about for those of you considering replacing your stock intercooler with a larger one (requiring you to remove the crash bumper). I'm going to look into the direct fit intercooler by Spearco though (or better yet, AGP if they produce one). I am convinced that for all of the power that the SRT-4 has, it is still designed to take hits and keep everyone alive and safe, as well as limit the damage to critical parts. I would GLADLY purchase another DCX product.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welp, no big FMIC for me...
(I was rear ended 3 times in my RSX-S in 6 months, fucking drunks. Never hit the car infront of me, but its good to know that if I did my engine would be spared.)

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Glad your okay. As far as us big ole fmic owners. We are screwed. :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
En-Glaived said:
(I was rear ended 3 times in my RSX-S in 6 months, fucking drunks. Never hit the car infront of me, but its good to know that if I did my engine would be spared.)
dude wtf 3 times. Damn that had to suck.

·
Premium Member
4,869 Posts
Rydiak said:
Regarding my vehicle which was rear-ended and forced into the vehicle in front of me (see my post on it all), I got some reassuring news. An insurance adjuster managed to look at the front end of my car today, and noted that the crash bumper had done what it was exactly designed to do. It took the full force of the frontal collision, and quite possibly saved my entire front end from becoming mush (intercooler, engine, trans, etc.). The ironic thing is the Wednesday before it happened (two days before), I was considering removing the front crash bumper for the larger AGP intercooler. By a sheer stroke of luck I didn't, and that saved the front end of my car. So just something to think about for those of you considering replacing your stock intercooler with a larger one (requiring you to remove the crash bumper). I'm going to look into the direct fit intercooler by Spearco though (or better yet, AGP if they produce one). I am convinced that for all of the power that the SRT-4 has, it is still designed to take hits and keep everyone alive and safe, as well as limit the damage to critical parts. I would GLADLY purchase another DCX product.
Very glad to hear that the front end was not damaged bad at all. Although I have always heard that an aftermarket intercooler is a helluva alot stronger than that small crash bumper. The quality of those aftermarket intercoolers are made of some very tough stuff....so you may loose the intercooler, but i think the aftermarket intercoolers would hold up just as well.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I was thinking that too, but for the sake of insurance (god knows how they dick us racing crowd around) I opted for the OEM crash bumper and lucked out with it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Rydiak said:
Yea, I was thinking that too, but for the sake of insurance (god knows how they dick us racing crowd around) I opted for the OEM crash bumper and lucked out with it.
if you do have a big fmic and the insurance claim person is doing a once over of your car and see's the huge sucker, just draw his attention away from it by saying "oooooohhhh my neck!!!". he'll soon forget about that big shiny intercooler that screams "streetracer" and worry about how to screw the person who hit you.

·
Registered
741 Posts
En-Glaived said:
Welp, no big FMIC for me...

Wow, you should have removed that sticker that said "Bang me from behind Please!" :lol:

Percy

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The Front bumper replacment is nice. And its better than nothing.

But.... I could almost garuntee and even lay money on it that it isnt as structuraly sound as the stock unit. Id even be willing to test it up against a stock bumper in my 50 ton press at work.

If it provides you with a sense of security thats fine but it isnt going to save your life.

As far as the Intercooler being as strong as the bumpers, that couldnt be more untrue.

If it was attached to the actual frame rails and tied the unit- body together maybe... but it'd have to be made out of structural plate Aluminum and not the thin gauge they use to get rid of heat..

I pressume the big fmic will just collapse or deflect back inot the engine compartment pivoting from the bottom.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Deezildennis said:
The Front bumper replacment is nice. And its better than nothing.

But.... I could almost garuntee and even lay money on it that it isnt as structuraly sound as the stock unit. Id even be willing to test it up against a stock bumper in my 50 ton press at work.

If it provides you with a sense of security thats fine but it isnt going to save your life.

As far as the Intercooler being as strong as the bumpers, that couldnt be more untrue.

If it was attached to the actual frame rails and tied the unit- body together maybe... but it'd have to be made out of structural plate Aluminum and not the thin gauge they use to get rid of heat..

I pressume the big fmic will just collapse or deflect back inot the engine compartment pivoting from the bottom.
I agree, An intercooler is a hollow box of thin aluminum, it has no structural integrity. Why do you think car makers put the radiators inside of the core support? You lose the crash bar, and what you have left is the unprotected parts of the car that are designed to crumble normally in a massive accident, take your support out, and a 10mph bump IS a massive accident.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I got a family......so the bumper stays..... If it was going to be a trailer biotch then I'd drop it and not think twice about it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts