Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the people who just dropped 36k on a EVO. Holy shit look at these dyno results from Shiv.

The three US EVO VIIIs we've tested (under nearly identical conditions) put down right around 180 wheel hp. That's only ~20 more wheel hp than a stock WRX. Hence my concern about the 271hp rating. Thes dyno figures would suggest closer to 255hp, IMHO.

A few interesting findings:

Peak hp occurs around 5500rpm, not the claimed 6500rpm. Peak torque is right around 4000rpm.

One of the three cars we tested ran 2psi less boost (17 tapering to 15 vs. 19 tapering to 17) than the others. It had a one month earlier build date (1/03 vs. 2/03), FWIW. It ended up making the same power as the other two higher boosting EVOs but with slightly less torque in the low end and midrange.

Our EVO VIII, for some reason, only has a 1bar MAP sensor. Strange seeing it in a turbo car that runs 19psi of boost. I would expect nothing less than a 3bar unit for the car. With the 1 bar MAP sensor, it maxs out (reads a full 5v) at 0psi of boost. Bizarre and pretty useless, as far as I can see. While I didn't check the other cars we tested, I suspect they are similarly equipped.

The car is especially knock prone at certain engine speeds. At least it is on the lovely 91 octane gas we run in CA.

The car runs a frequency-based MAF sensor. Not the usual 0-5v types seen on most other cars.

The car is under-advanced above 5500rpm. Adding just 1-2 degrees of timing at high rpm bumped hp by over 10 wheel hp without any detectible knock.

The EVO VIII's factory ECU is a bit more sophisticated that the older EVOs which had no type of active knock correction or smart ignition learning capabilities. Even the processor on the board is bigger These new ECU smarts will present more complications on the tuning end. But that's what we do so we consider it a challenge.

The EVO, like the WRX, is suseptible to MAF misreadings through intake modifications. We measured some pretty wild MAF errors when trying out different intake configurations.

There's a lot more info we've dug up during our tune-a-thon. Some of it we'd like to keep to ourselves for now and some we'll elaborate on on our website (http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer.htm). There's nothing there right now but a pretty picture. Give us a couple of days and it'll start filling out. It's past midnight and we just came back from our first test drive of our mildly tuned EVO Lots more info to come....

Cheers,
Shiv
www.vishnutuning.com

-faast

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Jesus, 180 at the wheels?? How fast is the 0-60 and quarter miles on these? I know the mags had guessed 5.2 or so, but I can't believe these could pull those times with only 180hp showing up. I can't wait to see what the STi is pulling :)

BTW, i'm now REALLY glad I bought the SRT instead of looking into an evo :)

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
i beleive they are getting those times because if you guys pic up the lastest issue it tells you all about the different types of AWD systems. Nuthing like the Cobb WRX pulling a 1.02g on the skidpad.....in the rain :shock: then having a $23k(damage :? :shock: ) encounter that leaves a $2k ding on the track's water truck :? :roll: .

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's something wacked about that, a design flaw or something. Shiv knows what he is doing and cars that are supposed to make 271 just don't up and make 180 from the factory. If you factor in a 15-20 percent drivetrain loss that thing should still be making around 230-240ish to the wheels.

-faast

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If that engine really makes 271, that is way too much driveline loss, no matter what kind of AWD system you have. Hell, that's almost a third of your horsepower lost.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
maybe mitsubishi really did sand bag a lil...but the again that begs the question....false advertising? i smell another Toyota scenario where they quietly lowered the Rev limiters on Celica GTS' despite the redline indicated by the tach :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
113 Posts
AWD's loose more on the order of 25% to the wheels.
Not even remotely close to 15%.

If the WRx is rated at 225 for ex. and it puts down 160 to the wheels that is a 29% loss to the wheels.
225x.71=160 WHP.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
abaddsm said:

If the WRx is rated at 225 for ex. and it puts down 160 to the wheels that is a 29% loss to the wheels.
225x.71=160 WHP.
The EVO is still losing 35 percent to the wheels, this is something other than normal AWD drivetrain loss, even Shiv said that.

-faast

·
Registered
113 Posts
Slow5OH said:
abaddsm said:

225x.71=160 WHP.
The EVO is still losing 35 percent to the wheels, this is something other than normal AWD drivetrain loss, even Shiv said that.

-faast
I agree. Based on those Dyno runs I dont think they are putting out as much power as the manufacture claims.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i heard this over at stratusphere too, and thought it was just a rumor or that an unpset domestic fan made it up. but i guess it looks like its the truth. too bad for the evo fans. o well, im glad i wasnt even thinking about getting into one of those

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here's the thread for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?threadid=15958

Shiv posts the dyno #'s on page 5.

Hehe, on page 6 some guy with an EVO8 starts getting worried that his car will lose to a neon ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Now now Xither, shame on you! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
personally, i think its funny, but i guess thats just me. :wink:

they thought they were going to be the big shits in town. now a turboXS stage 2 will own evo VIII's. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love the Evo and it has a great deal of potential. I spent quite a bit of time checking them out at the LA auto show. Love the radiator vent in the hood. However, this HP rating makes them fair game for our SRTs. I didn't think we had a chance stock to stock. Maybe we do.

They were sposed to run 13s all day long. Maybe not.

Thank you mother mopar for giving us more than your promised. Too bad for the rest.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
18 Participants
AWD OWNZ U
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing