Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying a good ole' SRT-4! Now I am a big DSM guy and have been for a while. I love them, they are fast, but they are junk. We have built a couple SRT's here at Slowboy, but I have never paid attention to how the car does everyday and the reliability.

So I need tips, suggs, ideas, horror stories, love stories...what ever it may be! I plan to pick one up and start some more R & D on that 2.4 (more parts and lower prices to come??)

As always, thanks for the space

Chance Dalton
SBR

·
Registered
512 Posts
I really love this car. The community is awesome. Every time i see another SRT-4 we wave as we pass by. The car gets good gas but that is if you aren't on the pedal all the time. I have heard a few people on this board have over 100k miles and still no problems. It's very fun to drive and a lot of people turn their heads to look at you when you pass. I have only had my SRT-4 for 5 days now but i am in love. It is the best thing ever. I have always loved these cars.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I like mine simpily because people say its a neon. I agree but after we run they all say we didnt know that your cars that fast. I put a few cars on my buddys 97 gst with a 20g. He was suprised as hell. Things like that make me happy I drive a neon.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is my second SRT and I have had 0 issues with either of them knock on wood. In stock form this car will take pretty much all the punishment you can throw at it although I am pretty nice to my baby. I would consider the SRT the most reliable sport compact out to date.

·
Registered
512 Posts
SRT SVT said:
This is my second SRT and I have had 0 issues with either of them knock on wood. In stock form this car will take pretty much all the punishment you can throw at it although I am pretty nice to my baby. I would consider the SRT the most reliable sport compact out to date.
just wondering, what happened to the first one. in your sig it says totaled. any story behind that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am hearing that the handling leaves a little to be desired...Obviously nothing a set of bars and some coilovers couldn't fix. I really think the main concern for me is the reliability after owning DSM's. haha! I am also hearing that these things make some pretty nasty torque!

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
I didn't need any "Stories" to pick up the car, I think it's pretty obvious it's a great car for cheap. What more do you want to know?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
SBR_Chance said:
I am hearing that the handling leaves a little to be desired...Obviously nothing a set of bars and some coilovers couldn't fix. I really think the main concern for me is the reliability after owning DSM's. haha! I am also hearing that these things make some pretty nasty torque!
ACR FTW:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,146 Posts
this thing is crazy fast...i came from a 97 GST and im happy i made the jump....NO MORE STUPID FUCKING MAF...i fucking hated that more than anyting on my GST...torque is nutso...the vendors are top shelf, lot of guys making shit out of their garage but its good stuff....you will be happy...tons of turbo options...were now getting relflash options...the engines are crazy stout (could be very well compared to the 6 bolt, but prolly stronger)

·
SRTforums Nazi Admin
16,228 Posts
i love my srt-4 yes the handling isn't the greatest but it is definately fun when u go against a cobra or something along the lines of that u take him by a car u pull over to talk to him and he is just shocked that a NEON just beat him. my car is very reliable haven't had any problems yet. installations are pretty easy on the car and parts are fairly cheap compared to alot of other cars out there. Once u start modding the car it is an addiction to make it faster. u put in a wga to feel a lil more power and it just goes from there u want more and more power constantly on the forums looking to see what your next mod is going to be it is an addiction to me ;). peoples eyes light up everyday w/ a good sounding bov looking around not expecting it to come from a neon haha. i love the car yeah a lot of people are a'holes about the car b/c we only paid 18k out the door for a brand new car that can take there 30k car ;). i am very happy i bought the car and don't regret it one day. Hope this helps out and i will be contacting u in the near future about the sbr crash bar be ready for my order ;).

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
I came from 10 built dsm's myself. I was into them for a LONG time. Then I realized they would always break because they are old. I bought the srt4, And love it. I bought another 2g GSX to build too but I should have known better. It wasen't even one month later and it just spun a rod bearing. I bought it for 6k, And sold it for 2k. It was the biggest waste of money I think I bought yet. I'll NEVER go back to them.

·
Registered
505 Posts
A lot of former DSM guys on here :hi: . I used to have a 6 bolt powered 2g GSX, but that thing never really got passed mbc and an intake cause all my money was going to repairs :stab: . I've now had my SRT since Feb. and I must say its an awesome car. Good on gas if you dont drive like a madman, handling isnt all that bad, and of course the power to be had is insane. Combine that with an easy to work on motor and a great community to boot, and I'd say you have a pretty damn stout automobile :readclose .

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
SBR_Chance said:
DSM reliability horror
... out of everythign you said... this is my answer ^^^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I looked innto many cars in the price range when I went to buy a new car. After a TON of research, the SRT4 was the car for me. I was never really concerned with comfort or interior quality. What I cared about was how a car would take to mods and abuse. I am AMAZED by this car and how well it was built. It's like the guys at Dodge were like "Ok, these nut jobs are going to get a hold of this car and boost the SHIT out of it.". Other guy "What about the interior and ride?". "They don't give a DAMN about that crap. Do you think these guy are RSX owners or what?"

It's raw and easy to mod. I love working on and tweaking my cars. It's even better when they hold up! My SHO was in the shop everytime I beat on it. It wasn't made for me. The SRT is though and I wouldn't want any other car right now:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
well i wanted this car from the day it came out. i was able to get one in feb of 06 and still got a new one. if you want handling out of the box get the ACR. its awesome for the extra 1100 bucks! the wheels alone pay for the suspention package. but like everyone else said, these are reliable cars and each little mod makes a noticable differnce on the car. that will make you addicted fast! you will want to go cruizing every night cause you'll want to see what car this thing can beat next. the after market is huge for this car, so customization is all in the mind of the beholder. this is an enthousiests car and you'll find that out once you start hanging out with other SRT guys. there is endless knowledge on these forums and im sure youu know that. good luck and happy modding!

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 years, and the only thing that went wrong was the 3rd gear syncro. It was my own fault. I really love the car. It's pretty mod friendly, and a blast to drive! I say go for it!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
you cant spell dissapointment w/out DSM...

lol... fellow dsm'r here...

check our my myspace (linky below)for some good srt vids (and my old dsm pix)

the srt tranny is weak as shit... i had the dealer fix it 3 times and then they voided my shit so i just dropped another one (used) in and am babying it until i can get a built one...

anything more than ~390 at the wheels and i break shit left and right (see broken tranny and my FU chrysler/dodge statments below)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts