Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help? I am currently running MODA R4's on my car. 17"x7.5"s with 40mm offset. I got them from Tirerack and they do fit fine... BUT something (I assume it is the wheels) make my car steer itself. I have the original BFG's on it. When on the highway if I hit bumps or dips the steering wheels moves left and right on its own. I was wondering if the wheels could cause this because they weigh more than the stockers or if because the MODA R4 wheel sticks out past the tire... ???? Or do others have this same trouble?

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Yep that would be it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mean to sound stupid but I thought an allignment was only to help the car track a straight line on a flat road. I think my cars issue is different. Not saying your wrong but maybe I didn't explain it well enough. My car will drive straight just fine but... example; I drive to work everyday and the highway hits an overpass and at that spot; and others; the road kinda dips and bumps back up.. And if I let go of the wheel and watch it, it will turn to the left and right as the suspension absorbs the bumps up and down and then will straighten back out. As if the wheels are being pushed left and right as the suspension travels. The car doesn't have a stable "on center" feel over bumps or at the higher speeds.. But it seems fine at slower speeds. I only have 7000 miles on it so I hope it isn't out of allignment yet.. But I am sure it could be because our roads SUCK! :crybaby:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you take off the crush washer from one of the studs? These washer are there from the factory to hold the rotor in place during the build. Most of the time, they have to be removed if you are using aftermaket wheels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I guess I should've mentioned that. Yes they are gone. I Should probably also mention that I had a hard time getting them to balance.. I had them to 2 different tire stores 4 different times.. The last time they had to spin the tire on the rim to get it to finally feel balanced. Maybe my wheels or tires are junk.. But the BFG's should be fine since they are OEM tires. I'm trying to figure out if the $$$ I spent on those MODA's was a waste.. I am tempted to by some used original wheels to put them back on.. But then I feel like I wasted all that cash on the MODA's.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Wait.

You put 17x6 tires on 17x7.5 wheels?

Im confused? Or do you mean you are using KDWs again for these wheels.

Im very confused =(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are the same tires that came on the car when it was new... I was told they were fine to fit on the MODA's I bought. So yes I went from a 17x6 original to the 17x7.5's now. I have been to 2 different tire stores and nobody said a thing about the tires size. ????? What I did was buy the MODA wheels and snow tires.. I had the snow tires mounted on the OEM wheels and then put the OEM BFG's on the new MODA's.

·
Administrator
39,345 Posts
The 205 is the skinniest tire you can safely put on a 7.5" rim. I doubt this is causing it. My car pulls to the right under all conditions and I am taking it in to get a good alignment this week. I think the toe is out a little bit and that is causing the pull and also some shitty tire wear. Don't want to chew up the new shoes w/ bad alignment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as tire size goes I just trusted the TireRack they sold me the 205/50's on the MODA 17x7.5's. I still think that the weight on the MODA wheels may have a strange effect on the car.. specially because alot of the weight on that R4 wheel is to the outside of the tire.. the rim actually sticks out past the tire. PICS of the wheel are in Evo77's sticky. Anyone here of the gyroscopic effect??? It is what give a motor cycle or bike that feeling that when its moving it wants to stand itself up. Test the effect by taking a bike wheel and hold the axle on each end.. then get it spinning...
Now turn the axle left or right.. the wheel wants to tip. And if you try to tip it it will try to turn..
Maybe the added 5 pounds of rotational weight on each wheel can cause a bit of this in my car????????????????
Is it possible???
I am no physics expert but was just wondering..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if you have read this far do you just think I am nuts now? I guess I'll keep trying to figure something out unless anyone has any more input.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sounds normal to me... lemme get this straight... You drive on the highway, hit a bump in the road, and your steering wheel turns?

That's because your tires just had some heavy impact and when your wheels turn, your steering wheel is going to turn as well.

Try going over a bump while you're in a turn on the highway, the steering wheel feels dead in your hand and it flies down for a split second, till you "land"

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
I still think the toe settings might be off some. A simple 4-wheel alignment will correct this. Try starting there first. It shouldn't cost more than $60.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have It, its called bump steer i think. I was told that it may be because of the tires. hows your tire tread on the side, is it all used up ?

For me its very noticable at slow speeds (5mph or 10kmh) and when going some crack, holes or bumps. usually involving uneven suspension travel.

BTW I have the OEM wheels( also had to buy a new one because of a accident), so i dont think your new MODA wheels are starting the problem

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.. I am taking them into account but haven't made any changes of any kind yet. I have been way too busy with some family issues. If there is anything else anyone can thing of please post it since I am still trying to get as many ideas as I can. Mader thanks for the update.. I wonder if anyone else is having these types of handling issues like you on the stock wheels. My tires are still fine since they only have 7000 miles on em... Thanks again and I'll keep checking for more ideas.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No matter how good your alignment is, almost every car will not track 100% straight over bumps,especially if the weight of the car is shifted around.l I'd say if it doesn't pull the wheel out of your hands, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know if anyone cares... But I did some work on the car tonight and took my stock rims with the snow tires and mounted them on the car. I measured the front track with my MODA wheels on and it was @ 58.5 and with the stock wheels it looked like 57 even. So my MODA's were wider. And I weighed each one and the MODA wheels with the BFG KDW's was 47 lbs. and the stock wheel with the Blizzaks was 3 lbs. lighter. Also the stock wheel and tire will stand on its own but the MODA's will tip on thier face even though ther are and inch and a half wider indicating that all of the weight in that wheel is in its spokes. Then I took it for a spin with the snow tires and stock rims.. It handles better tracks straighter and the snow tires were more quiet. So I am thinkin that the wider stance and increased weight are affecting it somehow....
I would think that somebody would have had some similar experience since there are some many of you with after-market wheels. I still think I will need the toe checked but I might shop for new wheels... Since I want the car to drive well no matter what the wheels "look" like. I lilsten to anymore suggestions....... if anyone has any input.
Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts