Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a feeling that all of the mods i want are all illegal in cali.
i wanted a stage2/garrett turbocharger kits.
it would net me at least 350hp to the wheels and sound great.
also i would put in the performance package from agpturbo.com and it should get to around 380hp.
then i looked at the emmisions standards and it really sucked all of that stuff except for the performance kit w/o blowoff valve is streetable. anyhelp here?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Basically you're SOL if your worried about being "illegal."

We just saw at Dynoworks our turbo and lifetime warranty manifold set-up. Damn excited. Sometimes you have to prioritize which is more important to you. When you fix up a car... you know there are circumstances. You have to be willing to pay the fines, put the car to stock for emissions, or pay someone 300 for a smog check. But all in all that's future stuff. You don't have to smog a brand new car.

Just fix it up. =)

:meow:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't mod unless you can handle the BS neccessary to avoid losing your car. :)

This will involve bribes, good legal knowledge, and more!

As long as you don't do anything stupid, you are usually gonna be OK. Invest in a valentine 1 and/or a radar/laser jammer to give you some peace of mind.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
if you want a 300hp legal car out of the dealership... you can buy an M3... that pontiac that's supercharged, a truck... anyone help me out...

·
Registered
8,630 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Remember that by law, you do NOT ever have to pop your hood for the police. THEY NEED TO GET A WARRANT for that.

If they pop your hood without a warrant, it will be thrown out of court.

Just so you know.

The smart thing is to avod getting in that situation where you would need to pop your hood altogether.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Good luck with the shit 91 octane gasoline there. I live in Texas, and when I started using CA gas, my car missed fire at boost levels above 20lbs. I eve nthrew 5 gallons of C12 (112 octane fuel) and the car still missed, but not quite as bad....The culprit was not only the additives for the gasoline, but the octane rating as well. Then I returned to Texas, my car still missed on 93 octane. I was like WTF. Then I pulled the plugs. All 4 of them were rusty...That means the gas I pumped from reptible gas stations had water in their fuel.....It has been a real big headache trying to remove this water and still plagues my cars performance.

If you want 300hp relaibly, you will need some sort of piggy back. That wya you can tune the F/A ratios down to accomodate the shity fuel. Then you can run pure race fuel and make big power....

Stage II, exhaust,CAI, and a AGP kit will work fine, but you better get to know somebody to backdoor you a smog. Not to mention the cops....CARB pollution control really hurts the poerformance oriented guys from modding new cars..Good luck

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Stage2 is invisible to all but the most prying eyes. You can get a catalytic turbo back exhaust (which is illegal to change the cat for 5 years...BUT you dont have to smog for 5 years so..) with a muffler to minimize the attention you draw. Mix in a CARB exempt CAI (if you want to..gains are minimal) and you are at 270+ WHP I'd think.

All i know is im in the same boat as you being in Cali..and my car rips pretty good now. More than I can safely use 99% of the time anyways.

Stealth is the key

·
Registered
426 Posts
pryme said:
Remember that by law, you do NOT ever have to pop your hood for the police. THEY NEED TO GET A WARRANT for that.

If they pop your hood without a warrant, it will be thrown out of court.

Just so you know.

The smart thing is to avod getting in that situation where you would need to pop your hood altogether.
unless you're on probation like me. then they can search you or your car or whatever. :tongue:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so is anyone ging to tell me a decent combo of mods taht is CARB legal? if i lived in lets say texas i would find a stroker kit/get aluminum heads/good cam/some nice racing pistons then a 75shot and the garrett turbo upgrade and a greddy type s blowoff valve. well thats just me, now in cali we limited to cold air intake...and mopar BOV.
maybe v8 is the only way to go in cali if ya want speed :\

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Racin-Jason said:
Stage2 is invisible to all but the most prying eyes. You can get a catalytic turbo back exhaust (which is illegal to change the cat for 5 years...BUT you dont have to smog for 5 years so..) with a muffler to minimize the attention you draw. Mix in a CARB exempt CAI (if you want to..gains are minimal) and you are at 270+ WHP I'd think.

All i know is im in the same boat as you being in Cali..and my car rips pretty good now. More than I can safely use 99% of the time anyways.

Stealth is the key

It is 5 years/50,000 miles OR if it is in need of repair!!!! So once you take it off, beat it with a rock and keep a picture of it just in case!!!
:cow: :cow:

·
Registered
276 Posts
basically same as these guys said, this is one of the many reasons i'm into old muscle mopars. If I were to get an SRT-4 I would pretty much keep it stock, maybe a few smog-legal mods but thats it. Installing stuff on new cars is a bitch already, I wouldn't want to have to do that every time I have to smog.

That being said if I had to choose an illegal mod to do i'd go nitrous, it's the most bang for the buck, and it's easy to un-install for smog checks.

Other then that you options are to get a 76 and older car and mod it up, or perhaps a fox body mustang as i'm fairly sure 300+RWHP is possible with smog legal mods.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.