Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im so close on getting this car. i really want one. but my parents are trying this best to convince me not to buy this car. they think in 2 years it will be worth nothing and i will be upside down on my payments... please give me some positive feed back on this..push me over the top to make me get this car.....thanks

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
resale

i read somewhere, either here or turbododge.com that resale on a relatively short lease was only $6k. maybe someone can refresh me. dont think resale wil be a selling point on this one. if u want resale, get a slower, more featured, benz c230.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Resale will be low, just cause there are "plenty" out there. But hey, if I told my folks that I'm keeping this car till I'm close to lying on my death bed. It's gonna be classic in 20yrs :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Yeah, don't get it if you're concerned with the resale value. I think mine dropped $5000 driving off the lot. It's a fun car, but if you want a car you can resell in 2 years you might want to go with a car with more fit and finish.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Depending on how much you plan on putting down, there is almost always a time where your payments are 'upside down'. The SRT, depending on how many are made, might hold some value to a select group of people, but not the masses, and not the insurance company.

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
I'm guessing that the "New Car Smell" and the excitment of having the "First one on the Block" plus breaking it in the way you know it should be, is gonna be worth the $5,000 I will pay driving it off the Lot! :lol:

·
Registered
653 Posts
any car depreciates in value when you drive it off the lot though...man who cares what the resale value is going to be....Already planning on getting rid of it? Let me tell ya if I get ahold of one... I will wear the warranty out and then mod the crap out of it. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
adidas99 said:
they think in 2 years it will be worth nothing and i will be upside down on my payments
There's only one way to find out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
adidas99 said:
im so close on getting this car. i really want one. but my parents are trying this best to convince me not to buy this car. they think in 2 years it will be worth nothing and i will be upside down on my payments... please give me some positive feed back on this..push me over the top to make me get this car.....thanks
This is a valid concern. No one wants a well used turbo car as a daily driver because everyone knows they've been beat on. Then add in the fact that it is a Dodge and well I wouldn't worry about resale value. I say go for it, you only live once and every car depreciates anyway. Ultimately it's your decision assuming you're spending your own money.

-faast

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
sell it???

I almost fainted when I saw "resale value".
Never happen, not here. My kids are gonna get this one as a hand-me-down beater. :lol:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
One thing about it that will hold value is the 7 year 70,000 mile warranty is TRANSFERABLE. So if you think for some crazy reason that you would actually sell an SRT-4 without somebody prying the key from your cold dead hand, then the warranty might help keep the value up for a private sale.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
the fact that it is a limited production vehicle is why it will hold its resale value.......do you guys remember the 94-97 supras? or the 93-96 rx-7's? they regularly sell for more than they were bought for, and they are used turbo cars..........different kind of car, but still the same principal.........supply and demand. and i think there is more demand than there will be supply. i really feel sorry for the lancer evo owners since mistu is going to make as many as they can sell, which means the resale will go down. but we wont know for a few years.............i personally plan on keeping this car until im like old man, be a classic lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
boostedneonsrt4 said:
the fact that it is a limited production vehicle is why it will hold its resale value.......do you guys remember the 94-97 supras? or the 93-96 rx-7's? they regularly sell for more than they were bought for, and they are used turbo cars..........different kind of car, but still the same principal.........supply and demand. and i think there is more demand than there will be supply. i really feel sorry for the lancer evo owners since mistu is going to make as many as they can sell, which means the resale will go down. but we wont know for a few years.............i personally plan on keeping this car until im like old man, be a classic lol
Supras and RX-7s sell for so much because of that poor excuse of a movie "The Fast and the Furious". I almost bought a pristine '96 twin turbo Supra for $9,000 right before that movie hit the theaters.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
boostedneonsrt4 said:
Your car will be a classic by 2005.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
yea and i remember back in 98 when i was looking for a car, seen rx-7 for 28,000 was a 94 and had like 60,000 miles on it. the fatf didnt help much but those cars were still selling for alot before it came out. you were lucky to find a pristine tt supra for 9g..........

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think this car is going to have great resale value, if they keep it as a limited production car. They only made like 12,000 RX-7s and then you couldn't find one for sale anywhere. Everyone who bought one seemed to like it enought that they didn't want to get rid of it. Assuming, in 2005 when they stop prodcution there shouldnt be more than 20,000 of these cars. Also, alot of people are going to hold on to theirs, so the market won't be flooded like what happened when I bought my PT Cruiser. This car is going to be pretty good on resale if you keep it for more than 2 or 3 years....

BTW, you have to remember that whatever NEW car you buy assume you are going to loose $5K right away and a few thousand each year after that. So you might as well have fun why your throwing your money down the shitter.....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
For some reason, I don't think it'll become a collectors car. I'm sorry but I just don't see people clamoring to get one and paying 30 or 40 grand for one in 20 years. It's funny all the WRX owners thought this when they first came out too. The SRT just has too much similar competition. Limited production run doesn't guarantee the car will become a collectors car. Usually a car has to do something extraordinary or be groundbreaking in some aspect, or be unique somehow. The SRT really isn't, it's just another turbo sedan in a sea full of them. Extrordinary performance doesn't hurt either and while the SRT is certainly quick it's nothing really exceptional. I just don't think it will attain the legendary status of say a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 or a 1987 Grand National. In any case, I wouldn't buy this car expecting it to be an investment.

-faast

·
Registered
726 Posts
Only time and market conditions will tell what the future holds for the SRT-4...or any other car for that matter. Personally I could care less about resale value. I'm in this for the long haul. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts