Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well tonight comming back from our local Ricer Rally me and my buddy cruzansrt4 were crusing together messing around and such. Some 2nd gear pulls etc. Well my friend went straight down the highway towards his house and I had to make a left. So I'm in the turning lane and this cop pulls me over. She said I was racing. (We were doing the whole bump the throttle bit next to each other) She never clocked me 'cause my V1 didn't go off. I asked her why she thought we were racing. She said "because you and your friend were side by side accelerating down the highway" I said "yes but ma'am I never went over the speed limit, and he is my friend, we weren't racing. What if I was by myself accelerating down the highway-what would you be pulling me over for now?" She was stumbling for answers by then and said "well then you would be speeding" I said "but I never went over the speed limit, so then why am I getting a ticket for racing?" I had her almost talked out of it, 'cause there is no way in hell she could prove I was racing, 'cause she didn't get the other guy I was with. She pulled some other guy over swearing up and down it was him, but I told her it wasn't. But she took so much out of her life to write the whole ticket out she just said "well you're just gonna have to tell that to the judge."

So needless to say I forgot to turn in this paper to the DMV on a late ticket a couple months ago and I was driving with a suspended license. $118.50 ticket and 3 points on my license, and I have to appear in court on the 12th for "Racing on the highway"

Can I get an attourney to represent me? Anyone been there done that?

2004 E-blue SRT-4 For sale :stab:

·
Banned
4,828 Posts
quiXilver said:
Well tonight comming back from our local Ricer Rally me and my buddy cruzansrt4 were crusing together messing around and such. Some 2nd gear pulls etc. Well my friend went straight down the highway towards his house and I had to make a left. So I'm in the turning lane and this cop pulls me over. She said I was racing. (Which I probably was) She never clocked me 'cause my V1 didn't go off. I asked her why she thought we were racing. She said "because you and your friend were side by side accelerating down the highway" I said "yes but ma'am I never went over the speed limit, and he is my friend, we weren't racing. What if I was by myself accelerating down the highway-what would you be pulling me over for now?" She was stumbling for answers by then and said "well then you would be speeding" I said "but I never went over the speed limit, so then why am I getting a ticket for racing?" I had her almost talked out of it, 'cause there is no way in hell she could prove I was racing, 'cause she didn't get the other guy I was with, but she took so much out of her life to write the whole ticket out she just said "well you're just gonna have to tell that to the judge."

So needless to say I forgot to turn in this paper to the DMV on a late ticket a couple months ago and I was driving with a suspended license. $118.50 ticket and 3 points on my license, and I have to appear in court on the 12th for "Racing on the highway"

First time in trouble???? Any other convictions on your record, age?????

·
Registered
726 Posts
im in california.. i was caught, arrested, and car taken away the whole thing. i manage to get my car out in 4 days through a technicality. (via car was registered under mother's name) i went to court pled guilty (2 points) and given a $435 fine. the 4 days my car was in jail i had paid $380 for tow and storage fee.

it's not a cheap thing brother.. i was flat out caught in the act. as for you. i'd take it to court and fight the whole thing.

if i had been you i'd would of said,
Officer: "Tell it to the judge!"
me: "I will in my Trial by Declaration. I hope you like paperwork."

If she had any sense. she wouldn't waste the effort and just let you go. there are people who got off for that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
First Off I live in PA and as far as I know the Crimes Codes are basically the same in every state. So, Not to be a dick or anything but the law states that street racing is any act where you "test" your engines speed or power. You can be alone or against someone else and you don't have to be speeding to be fined with street racing. For example: Youre drivng down a 45 mph road and your in 2nd gear and your going 25 then you mash the gas and accelerate to 45 really fast, that is considered street racing even though you are alone on the road and not "racing" any one else. You could even floor it for a few seconds, chirp the tires or break em loose, they are all street racing according to the law. I agree with you that it is stupid and it really doesn't make sense, but when you go to court all the judge or cop has to do is point out the section in the Crimes Code book and it says it there in black and white exactly how I said it. You really don't have much of a chance to say you weren't racing. Trust me, I didn't go to Police Academy for nothing... :readclose My advice would be to ask the cop to drop the charges to a 3111 (no points and a monetary fine). Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another thing, cops don't always use radar to get you for speeding......they usually use a Robic. Its like a stopwatch that converts the time it takes you to pass point A to point B and converts it to MPH. :shshsh: lol
And, court hearings are the best for cops ( they win or lose its all overtime) :lol:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
CivicSI said:
First Off I live in PA and as far as I know the Crimes Codes are basically the same in every state. So, Not to be a dick or anything but the law states that street racing is any act where you "test" your engines speed or power. You can be alone or against someone else and you don't have to be speeding to be fined with street racing. For example: Youre drivng down a 45 mph road and your in 2nd gear and your going 25 then you mash the gas and accelerate to 45 really fast, that is considered street racing even though you are alone on the road and not "racing" any one else. You could even floor it for a few seconds, chirp the tires or break em loose, they are all street racing according to the law. I agree with you that it is stupid and it really doesn't make sense, but when you go to court all the judge or cop has to do is point out the section in the Crimes Code book and it says it there in black and white exactly how I said it. You really don't have much of a chance to say you weren't racing. Trust me, I didn't go to Police Academy for nothing... :readclose My advice would be to ask the cop to drop the charges to a 3111 (no points and a monetary fine). Good Luck :thumbsup:
actually i have had a few friends busted for not street racing, but "speed contest" This refers to a contest between two or more cars. The only thing the cop can get you for if you are accelerating fast is if it appears as reckless driving. If you stay under the speed limit and don't spin your tires or anything, they have nothing on you. As far as i know, "street racing" is just a phrase, not a proper term of punishment. Atleast in Cali.
Look at it this way: If i have a mildy quick car, and i accelerate hard(floor it) but tires don't spin and i stay under the speed limit, will a cop pull me over? If i am driving like an ass, yes. If not, no. The only difference between a fast car and a slow car getting up to speed is one takes longer. And if you were accelerating fast next to someone that was also accelerating fast, you can be charged with a "speed contest".

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Dont forget the judge will have ALL your past MVR records in front of him. Also the whole innocent until proven guilty is for the birds and they are on the cops side. I had a cop clock a car going past me "i swear to god it wasent me" but cop pulled me over not the truck going past me even thought the truck slammed his breaks. the cop had 6 years of radar gun experiance and i had the shittiest of records. All the judge did was look at my history and i had to pay the fine. There were no lie 20+ people that got the pay fine no points cause they only had one or two speeding tickets ever and they got off. I have paid and got all my points and took responcability for them and i was wrong but once i wasent and it didnt matter. The system is agenst you in this it might be les hassle to just pay but if you have the time go for it i guess.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Im still fighting a reckless driving ticket I got on Christmas. I wasnt going too fast, about 47-50 in a 40, no traffic, just cruising. A cop was heading east and I was heading west, asshole did a u turn pulled me over, I was thinking he was gonna give me shit for the tints or exhaust but no he had the balls to give me a reckless driving ticket. My record is clean except for a speeding ticket in 2000 when I was in High School. So yea watch out for them PIGS! ok dont get me wrong not all cops are asses but 90% are. Oh yea his comments were "too fast for conditions, reckless driving" thats its, didnt clock me or NOTHING.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My buddy got pulled over a few weeks ago. He took off hard and when he shifted the side exit shot out flames. The cop could have written him up for no cat, "street racing", reckless, loud exhaust, but he got pulled over for "fire hazard." lol. seriously. Then my friend told the cop he was running rich at the time and he got away free. Its a '04 red srt-4. Good times.

·
Registered
947 Posts
My first ticket ever was given to me by lady cop, for speeding. :jester:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
quiXilver said:
Well tonight comming back from our local Ricer Rally me and my buddy cruzansrt4 were crusing together messing around and such. Some 2nd gear pulls etc. Well my friend went straight down the highway towards his house and I had to make a left. So I'm in the turning lane and this cop pulls me over. She said I was racing. (Which I probably was) She never clocked me 'cause my V1 didn't go off. I asked her why she thought we were racing. She said "because you and your friend were side by side accelerating down the highway" I said "yes but ma'am I never went over the speed limit, and he is my friend, we weren't racing. What if I was by myself accelerating down the highway-what would you be pulling me over for now?" She was stumbling for answers by then and said "well then you would be speeding" I said "but I never went over the speed limit, so then why am I getting a ticket for racing?" I had her almost talked out of it, 'cause there is no way in hell she could prove I was racing, 'cause she didn't get the other guy I was with, but she took so much out of her life to write the whole ticket out she just said "well you're just gonna have to tell that to the judge."

NOOOOO...u better not sell ur car and u should get out of this..i havent seen ur car yet! lol

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
CivicSI said:
Another thing, cops don't always use radar to get you for speeding......they usually use a Robic. Its like a stopwatch that converts the time it takes you to pass point A to point B and converts it to MPH. :shshsh: lol
And, court hearings are the best for cops ( they win or lose its all overtime) :lol:
In CA this is a speed trap, can't hold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
damn tickets

I'm 33 years old and I've probaby paid for 2 patrol cars over the course of my life with speeding tickets. (those bastards) my last ticket was for doing 110 in a 55 :wah?!:

Your best bet is to get a lawyer and try to plea bargain for "Unsafe Driving", you'll still get a big fine but at least you wouldnt get killed with points and suspensions...

Good luck brother

·
Registered
770 Posts
quiXilver said:

A friend was going to get a attorney for some 'traffic issues' he had. The initial cost to talk to the lawyer was $400, but the retainer (or whatever the technical term is) was $1100. He just coughed up the ticket & plead guilty (but that was obvious - he totalled Ashlee Simpson's equipment van after she was in town a few months back). He went to court, but the cop didn't show up the first time, but the prosecutor gets one more extention so it is set for 4/21/6
:stab:
With any luck, maybe the cop won't show up for court!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will pay anything to not have my lisence suspended. I cannot afford that at all. This is just my wake up call for what I have got away with so far...

I need to get cruise control...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
O yeah, all cops are douche bags...I just had one pass three, count THREE people with a head light out and I got pulled over, and you know what for? That's right, i had a head light out! I ask him which one and he says driver and i'm looking fwd, they all look good (fog lights working) and then he goes and looks and says o, passenger side. Fuck them, i think they should lose their police privledges for acts like that. I think we should be allowed to shot them in the legs for harrassment, fuckers

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
connermt said:
A friend was going to get a attorney for some 'traffic issues' he had. The initial cost to talk to the lawyer was $400, but the retainer (or whatever the technical term is) was $1100. He just coughed up the ticket & plead guilty (but that was obvious - he totalled Ashlee Simpson's equipment van after she was in town a few months back). He went to court, but the cop didn't show up the first time, but the prosecutor gets one more extention so it is set for 4/21/6
:stab:
With any luck, maybe the cop won't show up for court!
The only crime that I see here is that she was not in the van. That being said, I hope he goes to jail for a long time for messing that one up... :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts