Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wtf !!
does mopar always make such low quality parts ?
i was changing my oil the other day .. and obviouslly couldnt take off the factory oil filter by hand .. so i got out the old oil wrench to get it off .. i barely pulled in the entire filter crushed like a soda can !! seriouslly .. is there a reason why this thing was so flimsy ??
ive never seen a filter do that before ..
anyone have thoughts ??

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
as my friend said when he crushed mine getting it off "the first one is always a bitch cause they put it on so tight"

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it kinda freaked me out ! damn thing imploded !! :shock:

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
you squeezed way too hard. I did crush one slightly to get it off but it came out rather still in good shape. The trick is you have to grip it from the end and while i was at it i'd like to tell DCX how much i hate the placement of the drain plug. I changed Second Chance's oil Friday night and it took me ehhh 1hr to do cause the bitch wouldnt stop drippin oil even with cap off...lol

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
No way

acr2nv said:
you squeezed way too hard. I did crush one slightly to get it off but it came out rather still in good shape. The trick is you have to grip it from the end and while i was at it i'd like to tell DCX how much i hate the placement of the drain plug. I changed Second Chance's oil Friday night and it took me ehhh 1hr to do cause the bitch wouldnt stop drippin oil even with cap off...lol
The placement of the plug and filter is great! You can drain both at the same time in the same bucket. As far as it keeps dripping I would be willing to bet that it's from the ouil in the Turbo plumbing slowly working its way down hill. Open them both up and go watch a movie or something. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Might try raising the front of the car up pretty high, and making sure oil is still pretty warm. Mine drains in about 15 minutes with no more drips.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
RaptorRed said:
Might try raising the front of the car up pretty high, and making sure oil is still pretty warm. Mine drains in about 15 minutes with no more drips.
That's the trick. Took 10-15 minutes for mine to fully drain with front raised.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what's wrong with ripping up on the old filter, you're just going to throw it away afterwards, it's not like it has to be made out of 1/2 inch plate..

i hate theese smileys. :roll:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lazerus said:
what's wrong with ripping up on the old filter, you're just going to throw it away afterwards, it's not like it has to be made out of 1/2 inch plate..

i hate theese smileys. :roll:
i didnt understand people geting pissy either ..
i just wanted to know why the stock filter was so flimsy ..
i have changed oil about 100 times and thats the first time the filter ever collapsed

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
The guy on the assembly line used to work a Jiffy Lube :)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Do's anyone no what the part number is for a WIX oil filter for us SRT-4 owners?

I went to get one the other day & the guy has no clue what an SRT-4 was & he said that they needed to see what the oil filter looked like off the car so they could compare it becuase there books showed no part# for it...

Stupid NAPA people,lol

joe r

·
Registered
51 Posts
joe r said:
Do's anyone no what the part number is for a WIX oil filter for us SRT-4 owners?

I went to get one the other day & the guy has no clue what an SRT-4 was & he said that they needed to see what the oil filter looked like off the car so they could compare it becuase there books showed no part# for it...

Stupid NAPA people,lol

joe r
why do you want to use wix anyways. spend the money on something better. you can pick up a k&n or Mobile 1 filter @ any auto zone place. i spent 24 on m1 oil and 12 on the filter. Well worth it.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Pain- the oil filter is not made by Mopar, it's just stamped with the mopar name on it. I actually think that it is made by FRAM. The first time you change oil on a new car is always a bitch cause it is on the car so tight. I 've crushed a few in my time. Like ACR said, you got to place the wrench at the threaded end.

joe- I wouldn't use WIX. Like turbochick said, go with K&N or Mobil 1, which is esentially the same filter.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Can't be worse than the filter on my Omni GLH turbo. That sucker had to be burnt off with a torch, after it crushed and shredded. What a beotch that was! Oh, and it was outdoors in freezing winter weather to add insult to injury.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is the reason they tell you do not install a filter with the wrench, only by hand, when the thing heats up it gets tighter then a bulls ass at fly time, I really wish they would tell the guys on the assembly line these things . . . :roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The stock filter sucks major!:mad: Not only is it torqed on but I did the same thing, not thinkin about puttin the wrench on the end because I have done it so many times before in the middle with Fram or Pur fine. It opened the som oma beotch from the side, spilling hot oil all over my hands/Garage/wrench.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
thispainisours said:
wtf !!
does mopar always make such low quality parts ?
i was changing my oil the other day .. and obviouslly couldnt take off the factory oil filter by hand .. so i got out the old oil wrench to get it off .. i barely pulled in the entire filter crushed like a soda can !! seriouslly .. is there a reason why this thing was so flimsy ??
ive never seen a filter do that before ..
anyone have thoughts ??
Yep...driectly fro the factory they are over torqued. My third Dodge that come like that.

This why I always opted for the K&N type oil filters. They have a built in nut for easy removal.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I'm about to go change my oil. Good thing I saw this thread! First oil change for the car (800 miles) plus I've NEVER done my own oil change :alien: . lol Ok, so let me know if I got this right.....jack her up, pull out the oil pan plug and let that start draining, then pull the filter out (use a wrench on the threaded part?) and then let them both drain till they stop dripping. Put plug back in, put new filter in, then fill her up with 5 quarts. Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and M1 oil filter. Sound good? Any tips would be cool.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just changed mine w/ Raptor's help (THANKS AGAIN!)

We jacked the pass. side up and on stands.
Pull the crappy factory filter off after crushing it. :eek:
It came off OK I guess, but still got crushed.

Let that drain for a while.
THEN, pull the pan drain plug and let them both finish draining.
You could also remove the fill cap on the valve cover to drain faster.

Reinstall plug, torque, install filter hand tight, and fill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
18 Participants
icarus
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing