Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
SRT's don't hydroplane, tires do.

We've had 2+ inches of rain today. I went for a drive earlier and hit some 2 to 3 inch deep puddles at 40MPH or better (up to 50) and not a bit of wiggle out of the tires. I'm very impressed with the KDW's so far as daily drivers.

Sure, I wouldn't use them for Autocross or road racing, but they work good and I hear you can get lots of miles out of them.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Gixer1K said:
...and I hear you can get lots of miles out of them.
I don't know where you heard that. My tires are completely bald at 16,500 miles and I have to get new ones tomorrow. I did one burn out when the tires were new and the amount of tread lost was unnoticeable after it. Go figure...

·
Registered
459 Posts
i hydroplaned not too long ago. bout 2 months ago i was rushing to school and it was pouring out. doing about 70 i passed some slow asses holding me up. just as i was turing back into my lane, i hit a puddle causing me to spin outa control and long story short, $3000 worth of damage so far and its still not fixed completely yet....

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
3 months ago i was headed through Pennsylvania and it was absolutely pouring out. I was headed downhill on one of the mountains and the tire groove in the road had turned into a stream of water. I started hydroplaning toward the median. Was freaking out as i had turned the wheel right but the car kept wandering left. Soon as i got close to the median i regained control though, scary. Only 7000 miles on that car at that point.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
weird rain pull.............

My KDW's perform great in the rain..................EXCEPT, one time i was accelerating pretty hard in 3rd., hit a 2"deep puddle, & the damm wheel nearly ripped outta my hands when only one tire regained traction w/the Lsd.________________5TOEZ________________HOLD-ON TIGHT :lol:..........P.S. 11,000mi. & my tire's STILL look like NEW :clap:

·
Registered
166 Posts
xmdfmk7x said:
I don't know where you heard that. My tires are completely bald at 16,500 miles and I have to get new ones tomorrow. I did one burn out when the tires were new and the amount of tread lost was unnoticeable after it. Go figure...
I guess I'm comparing them to the tires on my GSX-R1000. If I get 3000 miles on a rear, I'm happy as hell.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
hydroplaning can be caused by 2 things... 1- incorrect tire pressure (this makes a bigger difference on contact patch than most think) and 2- poor driving.... if you brake- your done. If you crank the wheel- your done. just ease off the accelerator and hold the wheel until you gain contact again...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I was driving not to long ago and it was POURING like crazy...

I'm jsut cruising doing about 50mph on the highway cause I could barely see what was in front of me...all of a sudden my car starts to rev up...

50mph at like 2k in 5th and all of a sudden my tires just break loose and start spinning.
The Steering wheel got all light and stuff too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.