Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my spark plug tunnel o-rings were leaking.. and I decided to buy a new valve cover gasket... got a new valve cover and gasket. :p

This is how it looked:

And after a few hours of dorking around with it... and painting... this is how it looks now...

Quick question, you guys think our valve covers get over 500F?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
eviilboy said:
So my spark plug tunnel o-rings were leaking.. and I decided to buy a new valve cover gasket... got a new valve cover and gasket. :p

This is how it looked:

And after a few hours of dorking around with it... and painting... this is how it looks now...

Quick question, you guys think our valve covers get over 500F?
Well if your valve cover get over 500 degrees say good by to your motor.:grimrippe

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
looks good, wrinkle red? how many coats did you use? did you have a problem with the rattle can nozzle cloggin up?

i used wrinkle red on a honda build i did recently, and i had a hell of a time with the can nozzle. it would clog after every coat, and eventually, it clogged completely.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mahkis said:
looks good, wrinkle red? how many coats did you use? did you have a problem with the rattle can nozzle cloggin up?

i used wrinkle red on a honda build i did recently, and i had a hell of a time with the can nozzle. it would clog after every coat, and eventually, it clogged completely.

I used an entire can, the directions said heavy coats.

Even with waiting about 7-10 minutes between coats... I never had a problem with the nozzle clogging.

Though I do think I might have gone too heavy, and might need to strip it.. and repaint it with lighter coats.

I'll know in a couple days when it's done "curing"... :(

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Yeah I did mine in wrinkle black it took like 3 friggin days to dry cause when a can says heavy coats, thats what I do lol

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tinctorus said:
why not just stick it in the oven to speed up the drying time???

I'm doing this at my mom's house.. and she'd not appreciate me having my valve cover cooking in her house. :p

I can't install it till I get my DCR oil modifier anyway.. and that's a week or two out. So I can wait.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
eviilboy said:
mahkis said:

Even with waiting about 7-10 minutes between coats... I never had a problem with the nozzle clogging.

Though I do think I might have gone too heavy, and might need to strip it.. and repaint it with lighter coats.

yea, i followed the directions, maybe i just bought a can that had been sitting on the shelf for a while.

i think you used the right amount. if you use lighter/less coats the color is not the same. the car that i did came out looking pinkish because i could not apply enough coats. at any rate, wait until it dries completely before you decide whether to strip and redo it or not.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mahkis said:
eviilboy said:
mahkis said:

yea, i followed the directions, maybe i just bought a can that had been sitting on the shelf for a while.

i think you used the right amount. if you use lighter/less coats the color is not the same. the car that i did came out looking pinkish because i could not apply enough coats. at any rate, wait until it dries completely before you decide whether to strip and redo it or not.

Yeah.. I think I'll be getting some 3k grit sandpaper to take down some of the "ridges" that it created when the wrinkles merged.

If this doesn't turn out... I'll just be stripping it and sending it out to be powder coated wrinkle red. :)

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
23,153 Posts
I also did mine in a wrinkle finish, black. I didn't want to put it in the oven, so I put it out in the sun for the most part of the day, it worked. :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AdvanSRT-4 said:
I also did mine in a wrinkle finish, black. I didn't want to put it in the oven, so I put it out in the sun for the most part of the day, it worked. :)

I think I'm gonna put mine out in the sun tomorrow.

Should be 106F tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Looks good... I painted mine also, i didnt wrinkle finish it but when i was doing it i had it sitting in the sun and it got hot as shit when i was done painting it so it cured super fast.

Heres mine.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's coming together...

Day two.. I decided to pull the letters.. (I still have to polish these up, and clean up some more around the edges of the valve cover with some 3k grit)

But... here...

Ricer oil cap. :p

The close to done product... (Just waiting on the paint to cure)

Another:

When it's finally done.. I'm gonna slap a light coat of clear on it to top it all off.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
What did you use to spray that and where'd you pick it up? I need to add some zip to my engine bay.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts