Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Defi VSD Concept HUD unit for my SRT-4!!!

First of all, it cost $285 shipped from streetrays.com (a sponsor) http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79170

You DO need a MSD tach driver for the RPMs to work, which can be acquired for approximately $55 from a forum sponsor (including modernperformance.com)

I am still looking for one used, but I will probably end up ordering there.

Installation wasn't too bad, but I already had a place to run the speed wire through the firewall. You do have to get into a connector on the PCM, and there is JUST enough wire to do so.

Personally, I think it is a great product, and is worth the money.

Now, for the pics (from my camera phone :( )

This one shows where I mounted the little setup box that controls the display. I would have mounted it under the HVAC controls, but those cavities have Greddy duty :) It is mounted so I can get to it easily, and it doesn't stick out too bad at all.

This shows the view from behind the steering wheel. It has 5 levels of brightness, and I think it is on level 3 right now. It has PLENTY of brightness to be seen during the day.

A closer view of the display being projected on the windshield. Notice the film that comes with the package on the windshield. It comes with two pieces, and I did a pretty crappy job putting it on. You are suppose to apply it like vinyl, but I just stuck it on. It came out good enough.

Now I know plenty of people were dreading this film stuff that goes on the windshield. It is 45% tint that is possible to see through, but absorbs some of the light of the projected display. This was the WORST POSSIBLE view (as in you can see the film the worst) to show you guys. You can also see the projection unit at the base of the windshield:

If you have ANY questions at all, I will try to answer them :)

Also, that's my stepdad's 01 Z06 in the garage :clap:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The-Violator said:
Is there no way you can see it without the film on there?? Even if you turn up the brightness all teh way and only use it at night? lol
You can (I definitely tried), and it is definitely possible. The thing is that you get almost a double image for some reason. It is VERY bright outside today, and when I took a test drive you could see it, but not nearly as clearly as with the film. I think that at night, the film wouldn't matter, but in the day it is a clarity issue.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after a day of having it on, I absolutely love it! At night, I turned the interior dimming all the way down, and it really helped me focus more on the road. I'm just now getting used to looking at it instead of the dash and it is definitely cool. Worth it by a lot in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exhaust Depot said:
Good work Poonk.
Tapping the wires by the steering wheel were no problem because I had already done almost the same thing with my Greddy TT w/ ED harness from Exhaust Depot. hehehehe.... As soon as I get one of those damn tach drivers, I'll hook the RPM up.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
what is it exactly? like a few guages mixed into one digital box? thats what it seems like after reading about it

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's a unit that can display up to 7 different things that normally a gauge would do. You hook up the sensors for what you want and they can be toggled through with the control box and you see them on your windshield.

I will be going with a similar unit by Defi which is called the VSD Basis. This unit only displays rpm and mph. I prefer this one because I will be using regular gauges for the car. I am still undecided between the Defi-Link meter DF's or the D-gauge. You guys can take a look at all this stuff here....http://www.defi-shop.com/. Please give me some feedback on which gauges you think would look better in my car. The DF or the d-gauge ? The site has video's you can see of the gauges in action. I'm leaning more towards the DF gauges.

·
Registered
796 Posts
wow poonkla i've been waiting for these pics and it turned out hella sweet! dirty winshield... cant wait for the tach driver to be installed so we can see rpm. can you set it to show the redline in the rpm range?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
i don't see the point.. like what it's for. not tryin to be negative.. but, why would you want this? the gauges are like 6 inches down.

and i think it's tacky to have to put that stuff on the window... and the projector or whatever below. just doesn't seem very clean. course with your plate and the stickers where they are.. doesn't look like you're goin for clean.

but.. it's your car. you seem very happy with it.. and thats cool! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.