Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went on an extended road trip (4000kms.. and I'm actually posting on the road as I'm not home yet) and ran into a problem - we needed tires ASAP.

After the usual calls to dealers all over Kelowna and the Okanagan (where we were at time) and finding the only thing I could get for the SRT at a decent price, and a good performance tire were 205/50/17 Yokohama AVS Sports for about $1100 installed.

I did some online researching and came across www.tiretrends.com. Called them up as soon as they opened Wednesday morning, and in about 15 minutes had a set of Hankook Ventus Sport K104s (225/45/17) ordered and paid for - $683 taxes in and shipped to my buddies door in Kelowna Thursday morning! Sweet!

I must say, I am impressed. I have already recommended a buddy to them for his tires, and I thought I would point all you fellow Canadians to them as well - especially us hicks in the backwoods of the provinces and territories where we can't go down to a big-ass tire shop and get rubber at decent prices. Granted, it's worth it just to watch the tire techs struggle with the low profile tires and the SRTs rims.

I told Arch @ TireTrends about SRTForums, and hopefully they will become a sponsor. Check 'em out - well worth it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I had often wondered if there were any online sources for tires in Canada. I admit though, any tires I'd buy would likely be local, but it's always good to know there are other options.

You're up in Northern BC, huh? I just took a trip up to the Chilcotin region, Tatlaoyoko Lake to be specific, about 3 hours past Williams lake in my SRT-4. Hehe.. have you ever taken highway 99 from just out of cache creek? I took it all the way back in SCREAMING sunshine. Holy crap dude, that road was MADE for our cars! Twists, turns, straight stretches, banks, lil skinny bridges and BEAUTIFUL scenery as the road cuts through the Fraser canyon and eventually through whistler and past the ocean. Sea to Sky highway is an appropriate name for it!

I've never had so much fun driving in my life!

Makes me wonder how well another brand of tires works on our cars, because these stock ones are INSANELY good in those conditions. Let us know how you fare with those new ones!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Yeah I checked them out too in my search for winter tires...
Reasonable prices & wide selection of rubber online...If crappy tire
can't match their prices, then it's off to Tire Trends for this dodge boy...
:readclose

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We just got home last night - holy smokes what a difference these Hankooks are. We're another 6 hours past Prince George - and the roads up here are nice and twisty too. I could take the corners with a lot more confidence with the Hankooks vs. the KDWs - they felt rock solid even cornering at speeds *ahem* above 120kph.

The lack of road noise is phenominal. Only on the crappiest surfaced stretches of highway do they make a noise, and even then it's fairly muted.

Oh... and on the last stretch home I got 140kms out of a quarter tank :clap:

·
Registered
819 Posts
nice! Hey, toaster, where are you located? I'm looking for a good road trip for a weekend. I haven't really been much further west than creston since i just moved to fernie last year, and i'd like a good destination. Any ideas? And thanks for the heads up on the tires. These KDW's are great, but they just get chewed up too fast. I'm about 10500 kms on them, and by the first 'scheduled' tire rotation the fronts are pretty much toast. Oh, and btw, if you're looking for winter wheels, check out the thread in the canadian forum called 'winter's on it's way...' Great match of 15" steelies for the srt that clear the calipers well

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
wow this place is hella expensive .. 280+ dollars for 1 yokohama avs sport 225/40/18 .. compared to 167 a piece at tire rack..

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
srtboosthead said:
nice! Hey, toaster, where are you located? I'm looking for a good road trip for a weekend. I haven't really been much further west than creston since i just moved to fernie last year, and i'd like a good destination. Any ideas? And thanks for the heads up on the tires. These KDW's are great, but they just get chewed up too fast. I'm about 10500 kms on them, and by the first 'scheduled' tire rotation the fronts are pretty much toast. Oh, and btw, if you're looking for winter wheels, check out the thread in the canadian forum called 'winter's on it's way...' Great match of 15" steelies for the srt that clear the calipers well
I'm up in Prince Rupert - basically as far as you can go before you start driving in the ocean.

You're in Fernie, hmm? Well... a good road trip that comes to mind is the good 'ole ferry loop:

Head to Creston then turn north on 3A. You'll be catching the "longest free ferry ride in teh world!!!111", so check here for times of departure (Kootenay Bay is the Creston side). Once you're in Balfour, head north on 3A to Kaslo. Take required tourist photo shots of the sternwheeler berthed there.

Head east on the 31A to New Denver. Then 6 to Vernon, taking the Needles Ferry along the way. Vernon is the single mother capital of BC. Many a MILF for your perusing pleasure.

Carry on south to Kelowna and enjoy the horrendous traffic and many assholes that drive the roads of the Okanagan. Seriously - you'll notice a change from Vernon to Penticton - everyone will cut you off, no one will signal, and everyone will speed up once you pass them. Assholes.

Anyway, head south on 97 to Penticton, then Osoyoos. Take the Crowsnest Highway (3 I think) up through Grand Forks, then you can either go through Castlegar or Trail to Salmo, then Creston and back to Fernie.

That's one of the most twisty fun routes I can think of - I've been all over the province and Canada a few times over... and some of the scenery along here is the best anywhere. Beware the possibility of snow on the Salmo-Creston, and deer all over the place on any roads with minimal shoulders.

Hope that gives you an idea ;)

And for winters, I actually have a set of 225/50/16 Blizzaks for all 4 tires... I just need to find rims that will fit teh SRT (if they exist).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts