Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Aaron from Covington Here.. I have a 2005 Stage 2 SRT4 and i am tired of feeling every little thing in the road. I don't push-it like I used too and just want to chill in comfort now. Its my 3rd one, I need a little more chill these days. Any advise?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Not sure where "covington" is but advice. Sure. If you want it to ride better. Install stock suspension and replace all the bushings in the suspension. Run a 16'' wheel with a big aspect ratio tire. But what gump says, if you want a nicer ride get a different car. I enjoy my 2008 Acura TL Type S. It rides very smooth and quiet inside. Night and day difference from my Neon. But I never bought a Neon SRT for a nice quiet smooth ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not gonna trade it in bc I still want that straight line power to knock out those A holes that think they are the fastest thing on pavement.. but I don't want it to handle like a track car.. banging on every surface change so I know going back to stock sounds right bc I remember it being really smooth when I bought my first one and drove it off the showroom floor. Had like 64 miles on it and bone stock. The one I have now was used and has different low pro wheels and tires. just knocks me around more than my old stock one did..

so if I want to go back to stock rims.. can anyone (excluding stupid people) recommend a good soft riding tire for the stock rim? I still want low pro tires.. just a softer ride.
also, suspension ideas.. struts and springs for a nicer than stock ride?

thanks yall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me explain a little different.. 2020 BMW rides like a cloud and still has the suspention to hold 600hp to the ground (with electronics I know) but still that's what I want to build. a sturdy yet comfortable ride. and the BMW is on low pro as well.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
I'm going to assume the "stupid people" comment was directed at me, which is fine, you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm just the nice guy taking time out of my day to, in the best way i can, help people on this forum who ask stupid questions... i guess maybe in a way that does make me stupid for entertaining the stupid people with their stupid questions... oh well.

I guess maybe i should have been more in-depth with my previous response... so here goes.

Hey guys, Aaron from Covington Here.. I have a 2005 Stage 2 SRT4 and i am tired of feeling every little thing in the road. I don't push-it like I used too and just want to chill in comfort now. Its my 3rd one, I need a little more chill these days. Any advise?
Hi Aaron from Covington. Welcome to the forums.

i'm going to see what i can do about breaking your comments down and see if i can address your comments/concerns/considerations...

I still want that straight line power to knock out those A holes that think they are the fastest thing on pavement.. but I don't want it to handle like a track car..
You want it to go fast in a straight line and handle turns worse... ok got it.

going back to stock sounds right bc I remember it being really smooth when I bought my first one and drove it off the showroom floor.
you remember your brand new car driving smoother than your current 15-17 year old car... ok got it.

The one I have now was used and has different low pro wheels and tires.
Specs on what you currently have would be appreciated for us to give a comparison on what you COULD be using. Why, i'd feel awfully foolish recommending you change to something you already have because you didn't give us enough information to go off of.

struts and springs for a nicer than stock ride?
There are very few options on the market anymore for suspension other than stiffer, lower and more "feeling every little thing in the road" type of a ride. Your only option is going to be OEM SRT struts with stock springs.

Let me explain a little different.. 2020 BMW rides like a cloud and still has the suspention to hold 600hp to the ground (with electronics I know) but still that's what I want to build. a sturdy yet comfortable ride. and the BMW is on low pro as well.
I understand what you're saying here, but i mean... come on.... There isn't a BMW that has been built in the last 15 years that isn't better all around than our Neons. They are built better, designed better, and drive better which is also why they cost more. Very little of that has to do with the tires alone. A Dodge Neon was designed to be a cheap rental car style vehicle for the masses, and SRT slapping a bigger motor into one with minimal changes to chassis and handling didn't help much.

All of that is to say, your car is old, most likely worn out, and needs love. You can either take the time and money to make it as factory as possible to try to obtain the "best" ride possible, or you can get a different car which is actually meant for the type of ride you desire.

basically...

Install stock suspension and replace all the bushings in the suspension.
I think you trade it in...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I deserved that. but your response touched on everything I needed to hear and it was very helpful and eye opening. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I would recommend anyone to ask for your help in the future.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

A-A-Ron from Covington.. aka, just outside Seattle

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
ok, I deserved that. but your response touched on everything I needed to hear and it was very helpful and eye opening. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I would recommend anyone to ask for your help in the future.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

A-A-Ron from Covington.. aka, just outside Seattle

·
Registered
299 Posts
You need brand new suspension parts / control arm bushings. Check your suspension setup maybe the previous owner put ebay coils on it or solid mounts (4th mount, dog bones, tranny) or prothane bushings...? Or everything is still factory, has 100k miles like mine and needs replaced.

I dont have exp w them yet but Modernperformance site has ST coils from KW. I think they are advertised as the best feeling ones...? Also fyi - stock mopar struts are on sale right now.

Its front wheel drive and 15+ years old. If youre going to keep the power to the pavement then ride quality will be sacrificed doing so. Everyone has their limits on that

·
Administrator
38,955 Posts
Get the most all season mushy tires you can find in a 225/50-16 size. Get new stock struts and springs. Get all new stock rubber bushings for the suspension and motor mounts. Add some foam to the seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts